Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

Lessons for Paintball from Snowboarding

1K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  Trbo323 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 · (Edited)
I can tell you the difference between them right now; I'm at 1:38, lets see if you'll agree with me.

Paintball will never be an olympic sport because it's too easy to cheat, and is more boring than watching paint dry as a specatator

nope we don't agree.

Paintball is VERY expensive, much more so than most any other sport.
Paintball "lessons" are taught when the safety talk is given. They go over safety features, and the general idea of play. Most fields have discounts for groups of players, or new players as well.

Right now there's two major governing bodies. NPPL and PSP. They both have skill divisions, but are both EXTREMELY expensive to play in. Paintball isn't something you can just pick up and play in the street, or yard either.

In order to have a mainstream player base, it's not lessons you need, it's the pricing and availability/mentality to change. Most people see paintball as a team building exercise, or a fun birthday/bachlor party event. It's also not for everyone; it's a very specific thing that a small group of people enjoy.

#3 ·
Ahhh, but I do agree. But thats another subject...cost!

I have started doing some research in that one. Looking at how Skiing and Snowboarding...which is also expensive...have come up with ways to deal with that cost.

Quickly put, there are 2 types of ski resorts - feeder, breader resorts and destinations resorts. Feeder Breader resorts bread new clients and feed the industry. They do this with low cost lessons, rental and lift tickets. Destination resorts have harder terrain, cost more and dont really offer a depth of learning like the other resorts.

When I am finished my research, I will do a video to address your point and how to work with the cost. Its very good point.

And cheating...look at good old Lance and what he just did to cycling. Man so sad.

Thanks again for your great feedback!

#4 ·
I understand where he is coming from. The truth is, the Paintball community really hasn't done anything to help its image or expansion. The only advancement that has really been made(aside from technology) is the people who started the Paintball Extravaganza. That has potential to be on par with other industries.

#5 ·
grass roots is lacking. up here we're trying to bring fresh blood out (as seen as the creation of 12+ teams over the past year in vancouver)

but i don't ever see it becoming as mainstream as any other sport just due to the "pain barrier". sure if kids started young they'd break past that easily, but i can't see parents willingly putting their kids into a paintball program if they aren't paintballers themselves

#15 ·
you obviously dont read sone of your other threads, no offence. ive alrready recognized the fact you hail outta north shore. ia that your home fiekd or what is "your" field?
I try to read everything...but sometimes it doesnt stick. North Shore is my home field...its only 5 minutes from the house. No...its not my field...its Andy's...need I say more...lol.

Where you at?

#6 ·
gosh i hope paintball doesnt try to follow snowboarding, getting "banned" would be legislation not resorts, it is already seen as "dangerous" in the public eye whats next "deadly"? ya that would help

the problem with lessons is paintball is already expensive as is, pushing lessons on top of that would just make it worse and not to mention, who is going to set up this whole "national instructor certification" idea you have?

the big difference is in order to snowboard, you need instruction, in order to play paintball all you need to know is how to work the marker and the safety guidelines, nothing that you need some certified instructor for

could it work? ya, i dont think its a bad idea just one that isnt necessary for paintball to grow

the reason paintball is not in the olympics is because it is not a sport played by many countries on a competition level, the US and europe are really the only two that can claim national leagues but that aside, the larger issue is the rules. in order to be an olympic sport it has to have a set of universal rules, something that paintball does not have.

that aside im not sure the olympics are a good start anyway, think about who watches the olympics, now think about who watches the X games...

and before everyone says "but it is boring to watch" think about rally racing, so was it before the Xgames took it on. it went from watching a car go around a few corners, maybe take a small jump, and then you would watch the next car do the same thing to an event with a whole track that you can watch and putting 2 drivers head to head on a course that they could not crash into each other but were pretty much always side by side (until they screwed with that fantastic format and started putting 4 cars against each other in a much more boring course layout) my point is they are really good at taking these sports that are not fantastic to watch to being great spectator sports. so maybe it would not be 1 team vs another on an inflatable bunker field so what but i am sure they could do something that would make it exciting to watch and the most important part would be it would be paintball, publicly accepted and pumped into thousands of living rooms.

#13 ·
If you were to use your standard field rental kits, along with a box or two of reballs and set up a small "training field"(3-4 bunkers) after the initial cost it would be seemingly free to operate.

Set up a stationary targets for them to aim at while teaching the basics of snap shooting, etc...

#18 ·
the field huck and i played at a few weekends ago had this really interesting setup along the lines of instruction

basically they had a league setup of some sort from my understanding, pay $250 or so up front and have a few months of instruction and drills based on your skill level, they had a beginner and intermediate team each with their own coach or coaches and would run practice games

the best part, paint was included in that price. If i settle in that area I may look into it, sounded like a legit idea

#21 ·
I'd imagine at the point you're at, you're going to learn a lot more simply by hanging out with better players and learning from mistakes.

Honestly, that's how I learned; I always feel like i've had a more successful day if i've also gained something from it. I can't wait to play some of the better teams so I can figure out what they're doing.

I should mention this is NOT they way you want to start playing paintball. You're going to end up spending lots of money and getting rolled over time and time again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.