Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

DO longer barrels mean more accuracy??

4K views 22 replies 21 participants last post by  martix_agent 
#1 ·
do longer barrels mean more accuracy and will a long barrel on an spyder imagine be good??

#2 ·
No, logner doesnt mean more accurate.

Accuraccy comes from paint to barrel match (each barrel and each ype of paintball is a different bore diameter.. All are around .68, but some are .689, some are ,685, etc etc).

Accuraccy also comes from barrel and paint quality

And lastly, velocity helps a lot too.

#4 ·
It is a little bit of give and take. Anywhere over 14 and it is just drag on the ball.

Accuracy isn't what you want, that can be done by the shooter. What you want is consitancy, and having the ball his where the one before it did.

But as somebody before said, paint/bore match is key.

I would say a 12 or 14 inch barrel should be fine.

#5 ·
I wouldn't go more than 14" if I were you. Any longer and you are just causing friction on the ball and it is not worth it. As already posted by Alpha paint to bore match is the main reason for accuracy, but the porting style of a barrel(the little holes in the barrel) helps as well. The air needs to escape in a way that it will not cause turbulence so porting is where the air can escape from the barrel without causing turbulence on the ball which decreases accuracy. Some porting patterns work better than others.

#8 ·
i have a 16 inch dye ultralite on my cocker. not because it is more accurate or anything, but i need the extra length to push back the airball bunkers... with a 14 inch it feels hard to do, what with the front block and whatnot, IMO 16" is just right, for cockers at least. it also looks perfect too. most guns look bad if the barrel is too long or too short, you know? to me 16" looks just right...

#15 ·
Well, with longer barrels, it makes it easier to push into the side of air bunkers so you can play tighter. I say 14in. is the all around best length since they don't make 15in. barrels, which they should. Would be a hot seller. Lucky 15 kits come in 15in. though.

#16 ·
14" is optimum length, it's been proven in tests by AGD and Dye repeatedly.

The formula works something like this:

-The first 8-10 inches of the barrel are the length in which the paintball is pulling about 1500 G's when it accelerates from 0 to 300 FPS in about 6 thousands of a second.

-The last 4-6 inches of the barrel are where the porting releases the pressure of the gas behind the ball, allowing the ball to actually be guided by the barrel through friction. This is the only part that affects accuracy.

That adds up to 14 inches. Longer, and you lose gas efficiency because you are simply using MORE gas to push the SAME paintball through MORE length of barrel.

More barrel= more friction=more gas needed=less gas efficiency.

The only advantage is that you can wrap around air bunkers, but 14" barrels are long enough too.

Shorter, and the ball won't get rid of its backpressure before it fully accelerates, and that means less accuracy. Porting is also necessary, because without it the backpressure is released at the muzzle, and your paintball will be completely messed up in its flight path.

I've answered this question many times. It's almost rudimentary now.

#17 ·
i read a test simular to that.. is stated tha a barrel need 4 - 6 inches to propel the ball. and 4- 6 inches to stabalize its flight path( make it accurate) so after adding ith you get 8-12 inches...

#20 ·
i have both a 14" and 16" and i dont really notice a difference in accuracy or drag they both work great. in my opinion 14-16 in is the best legnth.

#21 ·
Ahmadi6490 said:
But...if you get a 2 piece barrel then you'll have reduced friction ;)
Actually, the opposite is true. No matter how well-matched the seam between the two pieces are, it's still a seam and will add friction (if it's a good barrel, probably is insignificant). One-piece barrels are more consistent since it's one piece of metal honed all at once- can't say the same for two piece.

But like I said, if it's a good barrel it makes 00.00000000000001% difference anyway. Either way works.

#22 ·
ok so i hear from people saying that longer barrels are not more accurate truth is that longer barrels are more accurate i have a project salvo paintball gun with rap 22" flute sniper barrel and it shot exatly were i wanted it to go 1st time i put my stock project salvo barrel and it took me 3 times to hit my target forget all the stuff about how longer barrels do not increase accuracy because they do simple as that

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.