Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

Please Help. About to give up on me DAM

11K views 28 replies 3 participants last post by  Trbo323 
#1 ·
Okay so I'll try to be as quick as possible. For the past year my DAM has not been working, at all. It all started on a misty day, the gun perhaps got 6 drops on it total. After this, it wouldn't chrono under 315 without spewing air when turned down. So after this I took it apart, rebuilt it, cleaned it. FOUR TIMES. And now the problem remains the same, all checks work, solenoid clicks when eyes are off, it airs up, eyes work, turns on, BUT when I go to fire, nothing happens, the sound emitted sounds like the solenoid clicking, but with a small (barley audible) "pop" of air.

Background Info
I see that the correct shim orientation in the regulator is )()()()() with the right side being the end plate, according to the manual, however, I had 4 extra shims in mine, didn't work before the removal, didn't work after.
It only has shot about 5000 shots, so it's so irritating that this is happening.
I've heard people think it's a bad solenoid or board, any thoughts?

#2 ·
I highly highly HIGHLY doubt it's the noid or the board. People like to blame those but in reality they are fairly robust and if this thing is as new as you say it would be the 1 in a million case that either of those is bad from the factory.

This sounds like a regulator issue to me

Start with the 9 shims the manual says, crank the regulator all the way in (right) so you have 0ed out the pressure, eyes off and fire as you turn the regulator back out

It sounds so me like there may have been to many shims in there, which is why it wouldn't Chrono down then when you put it back together the reg pressure never got reset

#5 ·
Hello, the "6 drops" was in regards to the amount of water that was on the gun. (In total that day). In addition, it is completely stock, meaning no super low pressure regulator.
To explain the problem in more detail, when aired up and attempting to shoot, the gun does not make any effort to fire, simply a barley audable pop in addition to the solenoid click. I have tried 4 brand new batteries yes so I know it is not this problem.
So are we thinking it sounds like a regulator problem? I will turn it all the way up and experiment when I get home, this is not something I have tried yes so perhaps we're on to something. I will update you tonight. Then we can move on from there.

#7 · (Edited)
I would recommend a factory board reset, before you do anything. It could be that some weird setting got unknowingly changed, and it is causing this issue.

I'm unsure about the regulator problem; I know I've taken apart a hyper 3 regulator and found it to be nothing like any diagram, but it worked correctly.(though, you won't find much information about this)

So are we thinking it sounds like a regulator problem? I will turn it all the way up and experiment when I get home, this is not something I have tried yes so perhaps we're on to something. I will update you tonight. Then we can move on from there.
You want to get the pressure to 0psi, and then slowly increase it while firing the marker. If you increase the pressure to the maximum, you will either blow out your solenoid, or it will vent out of the solenoid as a safeguard.

#19 ·
yea, page 10 of the manual seems to suggest that. I looks like the sole purpose of switch 1 is to be able to switch factory settings on and off. Set switch 1 to ON. That will give you factory board default settings, and we can go from there. These settings should be bombproof, and we can determine if there's still an issue or not.

It's 2017, why did DYE still use dip switches?
I kinda forgot that DYE didn't have OLED boards until this year.

#21 ·
ok, so in factory board settings, it's still not working.

Now we move on to the regulator. Your DAM is acting as if there's not enough air pressure to cycle properly. I would put those 4 shims back into the regulator, and see what happens.

After you changed and lubed all the orings, have you had any issues with it leaking air?

#22 ·
Holds a seal perfectly with no leaks. I am putting in the shims back in now and will get back with you soon due to it being an annoying process. Should I put them in just like before? They were as such ()()()()()()( instead of )()()()(). I will change them back to normal and test again. For the record I bought it from a field if that helps. Which is why I worried shims got moved around.

#23 · (Edited)
You think that somebody at the field messed with it before it was sold? It's acting like there's not enough air pressure,what the shims do is increase regulator pressure. the more shims that you have, the more pressure it will output. All This is why I'm thinking that there's something up with the regulator right now. For some reason DYE decided that yours needed extra shims. Why? I have no idea.

Put them in the way that the manual says, with the extra shims being in the same pattern, added to the back.
After it's assembled, screw the velocity screw in clockwise completely. This will set the regulator to the lowest output, so that you don't blow up your solenoid.
From there, turn the velocity adjustment counter-clockwise one full turn at a time. I'm not sure how far out it is supposed to be set, because DYE failed to mention that int he manual. If you get past 4 or 5 complete turns, I'd probably stop. Then again, the solenoid on this gun is supposed ot have a pressure relief, if it gets too much pressure.

You should experience a weak shot after about 2 full turns, and with each increasing turn, it will get stronger.

#27 ·
Just put 100 rounds through it on full auto and it worked. Thank the paintball gods! One last thing that I wouldn't even consider a real problem. But it appears that when I depressurize the ASA that the tank doesn't disengage and just spews air. But that doesn't even matter to me with the fact that my gun (which I bought two years ago and hadn't worked since), now works. Thank you very much for all of the help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.