Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

Tactical terminology

2K views 35 replies 15 participants last post by  olddfatbulldog 
#1 ·
Instead of saying: " Hey Alvin, theres a guy behind the rectangular shaped bunker to my left!" , Turn it into " Alvin, Bad guy* at your 2!"

Turnign a sentence into a short phrase can mean a lot especially if the person you just called out is about to do something. So..

Before the game, you need to go to your team and set up names. Instead of yelling 'I'm out of air!" You say "Winchester!". The opponent's name is Tango. Make up your own names for bunkers so you can yell out where your going and the other eam is like "WTF, he's going to get his car washed?".

During the game, you gotta be LOUD, and CLEAR. Always reply to someone even if your just flipping them the bird. If your speaking through mics, press down the button a second before you speak. Helps so that you dont get the first part of your message cut off.

So, how about some tactical ideas?

Out of paint = Winchester
Out of Air = Springfield
Left side = Lima
Right Side = Romeo
Opponent = Tango
I'm about to move = Goin' Mobile

Alpha
Bravo
Charlie
Delta
Echo
Foxtrot
Golf
Hotel
India
Juliet
Kilo
Lima
Mike
November
Oscar
Papa
Quebeq
Romeo
Sierra
Tango
Uniform
Victor
Whiskey
X-ray
Yankee
Zulu

Thats the Phonetic Alphabet currently in use by our military..

See less See more
#3 ·
I always tap my head with my palm and that means "cover me". I dont wanna yell it or say anything out loud because the opponent may get suspicious. If im silent, then the opponent has no idea im making a move. Throw in some hand signals there too alpha. Theres plenty of technical ones that noone knows about.

#4 ·
Scenario: You see 2 guys moving up the right side and are abotu to flank you. You want your friend to come with you and mark them.

Hand signal: Two fingers to your eye(I see). Peace sign(Two). Pretend to slit your throat(urgent)Straighten your fingers and 'karate chop' the direction of the bad guys(That way). 'Fan' your Hand towards the direction you are headed(Come).

Or you could say "Two that way(point), lets go. My friends are idiots so I'd do it that way. They wouldn't know what any of those hand signals were.

#5 ·
Alpha, you never, ever cease to amaze me. How the hell do you find this stuff? How? You tell me man, or I won't stop interrogating you.

I'm seriously using this when I play next week. Your too smart for your age bud. If kids could get drafted at 14 and up you'd definately be the first up in there.

#7 ·
He's going to be a marine when he gets out of high school. This guy... Wow... He just amazes me every time I see his writing. If I were in a squad over in Iraq, the only commander I'd want is Alpha. This guy will watch your back out there. He knows his stuff.

#9 ·
How far is a "click"?

#10 ·
A click is a kilometer. US hasn't gone metric, but the military has.

I learn all of this stuff from everywhere. I'm an Air Force Cadet. I play an online Navy SEALs video game (very realistic) with a bunch of Rangers. My neighbor was in the coast guard. My brothers girlfriend was in the navy. I learn a lot of stuff from my SASI (SEnior Aerospace Science Instructor), who is a retired Lt.Colonel. I got double promoted to Cadet Senior Airman from Airman, and recieved the 2003 outstanding Cadet of the year award, along with 11 ribbons (soon to be 14 or 15 when I get my recruiting and physical fittness which I never got at the end of school). I was the only Freshman to be on the Armed Exhibition Drill Team. I went to the Nationals in WAshington DC, and we got skunked, but we still did good (We got 7th out of like 40 schools). I spend my nights reading books and websites your grandfather might read. I watch the history channel a lot.

But its amazing, I can define a click and tell you that there are 3 guys trying to kill me outside that door and I want you to follow me by moving my right arm a few times, but I still can't do simple Alegbra nor can I get on honor roll for more then two terms at school. I can strip and assemble an M1 Garand in about 50 seconds blindfolded but I can't take an hour out of my day to do my homework.

At the Age of 4 I knew what I was going to do. "I want to be an army man" , but soon I found out I was going to be a Marine. My bones were made to serve this country. I don't care if I end up peeling potatoes, I'm going to put my entire life into the protection of this coutnry. And I'll be willing to die for each and every one of you. Know why? Why do I know all this? Becuase I'm preparing. I'm preparing to pay back all the veterans who die in DDay and who searched tunnels in Vietnam so that the people of this world might experience freedom, even if its just a baskin robbins sample of it. I want to pay back the men and women who make it so that I can be freezing my ass off in my boxers typing this message listening to the white stripes. Everythign you do you wouldn't be able if those men and women in uniform wern't there to keep the war 1000's of miles across water from you. Thats how I know that.

#11 ·
Alpha said:
A click is a kilometer. US hasn't gone metric, but the military has.

I learn all of this stuff from everywhere. I'm an Air Force Cadet. I play an online Navy SEALs video game (very realistic) with a bunch of Rangers. My neighbor was in the coast guard. My brothers girlfriend was in the navy. I learn a lot of stuff from my SASI (SEnior Aerospace Science Instructor), who is a retired Lt.Colonel. I got double promoted to Cadet Senior Airman from Airman, and recieved the 2003 outstanding Cadet of the year award, along with 11 ribbons (soon to be 14 or 15 when I get my recruiting and physical fittness which I never got at the end of school). I was the only Freshman to be on the Armed Exhibition Drill Team. I went to the Nationals in WAshington DC, and we got skunked, but we still did good (We got 7th out of like 40 schools). I spend my nights reading books and websites your grandfather might read. I watch the history channel a lot.

But its amazing, I can define a click and tell you that there are 3 guys trying to kill me outside that door and I want you to follow me by moving my right arm a few times, but I still can't do simple Alegbra nor can I get on honor roll for more then two terms at school. I can strip and assemble an M1 Garand in about 50 seconds blindfolded but I can't take an hour out of my day to do my homework.

At the Age of 4 I knew what I was going to do. "I want to be an army man" , but soon I found out I was going to be a Marine. My bones were made to serve this country. I don't care if I end up peeling potatoes, I'm going to put my entire life into the protection of this coutnry. And I'll be willing to die for each and every one of you. Know why? Why do I know all this? Becuase I'm preparing. I'm preparing to pay back all the veterans who die in DDay and who searched tunnels in Vietnam so that the people of this world might experience freedom, even if its just a baskin robbins sample of it. I want to pay back the men and women who make it so that I can be freezing my ass off in my boxers typing this message listening to the white stripes. Everythign you do you wouldn't be able if those men and women in uniform wern't there to keep the war 1000's of miles across water from you. Thats how I know that.
but alpha, what about the people on the other side? if those military people hadn't been there, no one would have been killed, so it sort of goes both ways, there trying to kill you to defend there country, your doing the same thing to them..

G
#13 ·
One thing I do alot in soccer is have things mean the opposite. Ex:Go right and rush him. That would actually mean go left and stay there. Another thing you can do if you don't want to learn all this stuff is just say random numbers and stuff like Beta 42 flank.

#14 ·
alpha, yer like my clone (sort of) my bro is a marine, my dad is in the airforce, most of my friends have military relation. I was outstanding cadet for my freshman class 2nd semester and i have 11 ribbons right now (more to come from longevity and other stuff) I have about a gig and a half devoted to military stuff, guns, tactics etc.. getting back on subject.... I use hand signals when i play, but i always seem to neglect to tell my teammates what they mean. Using the o'clock thing, like: tango 6 o'clock is useful.

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
Here's a good tip, Walk the field if you can, in scenarios you are playing on huge fields and it's not always easy to get the whole field memorized. But before events get information and tips on the field. What kind of terrain what kind of camo would probably be best, is there allot of forts, and what are advantages of the forts and disadvantages of all the areas.

Ask all the experience players of that field what is go ways to attack and where to come in. What makes our military one of the Best is simply the info. (I know some liberal here is going to take a shot at the war in Iraq from this) but it's true Information and intelligence is what keeps the troops on the go and where they go, knowing your enemy and their land keeps you ahead of the game.

Honestly if you know of a Scenario team that is used to playing a field converse with them on tactics and how you should go about with things on that field. And this could be done at any field, find the experience players that are regulars at that field and they will probably help pull you through. Just don't go to the guy is has the best gun and looks good, go with some one with the know how and is actually experienced at winning that field.

Also Change up tactics try different things, don't get into a pattern. Most players will pick up your tactics and if you keep doing it they will either find a way to get around you or defeat you. Just because something works 1st time doesn't the mean the enemy is going to be dumb the second time.

Be patient some many times noobs see some body and there first reaction is to shoot and get into these fire fights in which every one is too far away and nobody get's killed, but be silent and stay ready for them, you see them great, if they didn't see you then allow them to fall into a false security and allow them to move up, I’ve seen guys run up and jump behind a tree thinking it was safe then walk away cause they didn't know there was someone sitting right there waiting to tell them to surrender or shoot them.

Also another Thing never underestimate or get cocky always be alert and treat every player as if they are potential hazards because they are, just because they are a first time newb with a rental doesn't mean jack, if a human has a will to win they will find a way to win, no matter the circumstances. Years of experience don't mean jack when you got Mr. newbs paint on you when you’re walking to the dead box.

Anyways have fun and always be playing with your mind.

(sry man, I had to fix you post up a bit to make it easier to read. Also spell checked it for ya!)

#16 ·
I like your ideas, but I'm afraid I'll look like a jerk that is trying to be cool, and isn't actually that good. I need to gain some experience before i start calling out signals like that. But to sum up your thread here, communication is the key. Thanks for that, it was a good read :)

#17 ·
Well, i'm gonna be a lawyer. All this stuff makes me feel a little mundane. Mind you if you think about paintball enough you'd probably work out alot of the tactics and stuff on yer tod.

#18 ·
These tactics would work well for teams that train together but for your average walk on group good luck. :) In that situation you'll be lucky if they even watch you because of their tendency for tunnel vision. If they are paying attention keep things simple by using a predetermined gesture and pointing at where you spotted the enemy. Anything more complicated then that with walk on players would probably cause distraction and confusion.

#19 ·
Well enough with this drama its hella annoying.. BACK TO THE TOPIC. yeah alot of these things are cool. I love using hand signals lol. it makes me feel important. Alot of peoople are talking about games they heard this in but i have yet to hear someone mention the BEST example of these things.... full spectrum warrior!!! That game has alll this military talk and is where i learned alot of it. and i recomened that game by the way, its really good.

#23 ·
Ok, seriously cut the crap guys. Stay on topic!!! I just had to go through like 4 pages worth of trash posts and flames to clear this thread up at Alpha’s request. I do not want to have to do this again!!!!

If you have an issue with someone, you PM them about it or do it over AIM. Do not cry to the whole friggen forum about it, understood?

STAY ON TOPIC

Thank you, and have a jolly day!

- Brian

#24 ·
anyone ever played Rainbow 6? just imagine the radio chatter:
"Contact......Tango down" - player 1
"Dude, you really are taking this too seriosly" - player 2
"Affermative" - player 1

#26 ·
Come on guys cut the **** lets keep it tac. More on radios..

Radios are a great thing to use. But you need to remember to use the right encoding. Most expensive radios or even the cheap 50 dollar oens made by motorolla allow you to encode your messages so unless you tap into the right frequency, it sounds scrambled. I was able to pick up many radio transmissions from the other team when I played my last scenario game last weekend.

Make sure everyone is on the same page. You might even want to change frequencies every few recycles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.