Death Metal Music ( Discovery Channel Doc ) - Paintball Forum - Paintball guns and gear forums

Reply

Old September 15th, 2006, 10:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
I'mma Let You Finish.
 
Wes Himself's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: South Central Kentucky
Posts: 7,445
Death Metal Music ( Discovery Channel Doc )

I recently got into Deicide, not sure why I like them a lot. But this documentary is a lot about them and stuff I dunno have any of you seen it? and what is your view on kids taking their music a little to far? Is joining the Occult while listening to death metal the same as getting spinners when you listen to rap?
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Wes Himself is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old September 15th, 2006, 11:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
burningcow422's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,191
I saw it on the tv guide channel. Didn't bother watching.

I'm a huge deathmetal fan myself
__________________
it is i.
burningcow422 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2006, 11:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
I'mma Let You Finish.
 
Wes Himself's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: South Central Kentucky
Posts: 7,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by burningcow422
I saw it on the tv guide channel. Didn't bother watching.

I'm a huge deathmetal fan myself
Yeh I recently discovered them, and I thought it was eerie how this was on just a few days later about them lol... My band is covering "Scars of the Crucifix" at my show...


You should watch it, It's pretty good.. It's crazy what some kids do.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Wes Himself is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2006, 11:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
burningcow422's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Himself
Yeh I recently discovered them, and I thought it was eerie how this was on just a few days later about them lol...
Yeah I thought that too..because I just started really getting into metal this summer. There was something on VH1 the other day on a similar subject.

It's weird..cuz at the same time in the morning there are shows about the presidents on the history channel...and this morning it was on mckinley and we talked about him in class today.

i dunno.
__________________
it is i.
burningcow422 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2006, 11:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
I'mma Let You Finish.
 
Wes Himself's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: South Central Kentucky
Posts: 7,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by burningcow422
Yeah I thought that too..because I just started really getting into metal this summer. There was something on VH1 the other day on a similar subject.

It's weird..cuz at the same time in the morning there are shows about the presidents on the history channel...and this morning it was on mckinley and we talked about him in class today.

i dunno.
Word.

I've always listened to metal, not really anything "satanic" though... I'm not really sure why I like it. I don't take any of it serious. I guess I just like the way it sounds.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Wes Himself is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2006, 11:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Holy ****ing Asscrackers!
 
Z PYRO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 6,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Himself
Is joining the Occult while listening to death metal the same as getting spinners when you listen to rap?
absolutely
__________________
Sometimes I think I'm crazy...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...Other times I know I'm not


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My bike^
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
zpyro and armoarchangel...owning retards since 2005
Z PYRO is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2006, 11:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
I'mma Let You Finish.
 
Wes Himself's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: South Central Kentucky
Posts: 7,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z PYRO
absolutely
Well, joining something like the Occult is like a complete lifestyle change... Something I would never do.. Of course I listen to my fair share of rap too and I don't have spinners...although I do have a "system" in my car.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Wes Himself is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2006, 11:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 5,450
I haven't seen the special so I don't know how accurate it is and can't judge it.

But about cults/doing "occult" things can be looked at in two ways....

1. the people doing this don't understand the music
2. the people doing it aren't serious and the special doesn't understand that

Death metal is a very interesting thing that few people (even many who claim to be into it) understand. I'm just going to assume that the documentary does a sub-par job of showing it as it really is....but once again, I didn't see it. I'll have to keep my eyes open for a rerun of it.
TonyD is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2006, 11:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
I'mma Let You Finish.
 
Wes Himself's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: South Central Kentucky
Posts: 7,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD
I haven't seen the special so I don't know how accurate it is and can't judge it.

But about cults/doing "occult" things can be looked at in two ways....

1. the people doing this don't understand the music
2. the people doing it aren't serious and the special doesn't understand that

Death metal is a very interesting thing that few people (even many who claim to be into it) understand. I'm just going to assume that the documentary does a sub-par job of showing it as it really is....but once again, I didn't see it. I'll have to keep my eyes open for a rerun of it.
Yeh it just came out like... a couple days ago... I would say just search for it its sure to come back on in the next couple a days.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Wes Himself is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2006, 11:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 5,450
Yeah, and I watch Discovery quite a bit actually so I'm sure I'll see it eventually.

...well, maybe not. They aired a show "Ape to Man" probably a year ago that I really wanted to watch and I've never seen it still. Similar shows, but not that one.

EDIT: On a side note VH1 "metal" specials are not very good. They are factual, but don't often look at ANYTHING metal. Watch them with this in mind. In the 80's there WAS an "underground metal" scene, and this was the real metal. Motely Crue and Poison and the like are NOT metal. Real metal in the 80's was all thrash/speed metal and the beginnings of death metal.
TonyD is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2006, 11:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
I'mma Let You Finish.
 
Wes Himself's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: South Central Kentucky
Posts: 7,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD
Yeah, and I watch Discovery quite a bit actually so I'm sure I'll see it eventually.

...well, maybe not. They aired a show "Ape to Man" probably a year ago that I really wanted to watch and I've never seen it still. Similar shows, but not that one.
lol I have dish and theres a lil Section I usually stay on... G4, Discovery, Cartoon Network Is usually what it stays on.... when my friends come over we usually watch those absurd MTV reality shows.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Wes Himself is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2006, 09:45 AM   #12 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 6,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD
Yeah, and I watch Discovery quite a bit actually so I'm sure I'll see it eventually.

...well, maybe not. They aired a show "Ape to Man" probably a year ago that I really wanted to watch and I've never seen it still. Similar shows, but not that one.

EDIT: On a side note VH1 "metal" specials are not very good. They are factual, but don't often look at ANYTHING metal. Watch them with this in mind. In the 80's there WAS an "underground metal" scene, and this was the real metal. Motely Crue and Poison and the like are NOT metal. Real metal in the 80's was all thrash/speed metal and the beginnings of death metal.
No dude, the documentary the other day was the real deal. Made by a metalhead for metalheads. It's ****ing good, I suggest actually renting/buying the DVD so you can get the extras too. It's called Metal: A Headbanger's Journey.
Pr0ph3t is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2006, 10:49 AM   #13 (permalink)
I'mma Let You Finish.
 
Wes Himself's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: South Central Kentucky
Posts: 7,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr0ph3t
No dude, the documentary the other day was the real deal. Made by a metalhead for metalheads. It's ****ing good, I suggest actually renting/buying the DVD so you can get the extras too. It's called Metal: A Headbanger's Journey.
that one is on VH1, I have yet to watch it But my friend said it was good...
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Wes Himself is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2006, 11:02 AM   #14 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 6,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Himself
that one is on VH1, I have yet to watch it But my friend said it was good...
It was damn good.
Pr0ph3t is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2006, 05:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 5,450
I've heard of A Headbangers Journey....heard mixed things. From most I've heard that it was decent, but still had some things messed up with it. I forgot that that one was going to be on VH1. I still stand by most everything else "metal" related on VH1 being garbage, though. I've heard it was at least worth a download, though...so I might do that.
TonyD is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2006, 07:00 PM   #16 (permalink)
íViva La Rob!
 
Ja289's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 6,076
i can't agree that a kid joining an occult is the same as a kid getting spinners and listenig to rap. rap is mainstream music, and a clothing style. its in pop culture everywhere. death metal and the occult are things our society views as a negative thing, where as like rap and ghetto style we embrace it. so a kid is doing it for different reasons, and might not be as serious.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ja289 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2006, 07:03 PM   #17 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 6,346
i don't really have a favorite music genre, i just listen to whatever sounds good, but i mostly listen to classic rock, as for metal i like it but im not really into deathmetal.
kenny_1491 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2006, 07:09 PM   #18 (permalink)
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 5,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ja289
i can't agree that a kid joining an occult is the same as a kid getting spinners and listenig to rap. rap is mainstream music, and a clothing style. its in pop culture everywhere. death metal and the occult are things our society views as a negative thing, where as like rap and ghetto style we embrace it. so a kid is doing it for different reasons, and might not be as serious.
The idea is the same, though, while it may be a little more extreme.

A kid getting into occult stuff due to finding death metal bands is just because it's "cool" and as mindless as a kid buying spinners. They obviously don't get death metal just like the kid getting spinners doesn't understand real hip-hop.
TonyD is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2006, 08:45 PM   #19 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 210
I saw the commercial for it, and well I dl'ed the torrent.



It was very good, no mainstreamers trying to do a corny show on "rock and roll." Their explanation of what metal is about is very good. While I'm only partly personally effected by most things they mention, I really metal because of the riffs and drums and ****.


The thead is titled wrong...The doc covers all metal.

The full sub-genre chart is amazing! lol.

O, and BTW, I love Lemmy. \m/

Last edited by silverbara; September 16th, 2006 at 08:53 PM..
silverbara is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2006, 10:15 PM   #20 (permalink)
I'mma Let You Finish.
 
Wes Himself's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: South Central Kentucky
Posts: 7,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbara
I saw the commercial for it, and well I dl'ed the torrent.



It was very good, no mainstreamers trying to do a corny show on "rock and roll." Their explanation of what metal is about is very good. While I'm only partly personally effected by most things they mention, I really metal because of the riffs and drums and ****.


The thead is titled wrong...The doc covers all metal.

The full sub-genre chart is amazing! lol.

O, and BTW, I love Lemmy. \m/
No... The thread title isn't wrong... That's the name of the Documentary I watched.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Wes Himself is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2006, 10:43 AM   #21 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 210
I believe its "Metal: A Headbangers Journey"

Unless we are talking about two different things, if so, I apologize.
silverbara is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2006, 10:56 AM   #22 (permalink)
I'mma Let You Finish.
 
Wes Himself's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: South Central Kentucky
Posts: 7,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbara
I believe its "Metal: A Headbangers Journey"

Unless we are talking about two different things, if so, I apologize.
Yes, that show is on VH1, As my title says this show was on the Discovery Channel.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Wes Himself is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc. Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1