suggestion/advice - Paintball Forum - Paintball guns and gear forums

Reply

Old April 15th, 2016, 04:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 8
suggestion/advice

Hello all,
I am just starting my paintballing adventures and I am hoping for some suggestions/advice (as the title says). Thanks to a coworker, I have been tuned in to the PaintballtechPB page on Youtube, and I know the order in which to buy all my first stuff thanks to the segment called "Budget Baller Paintball Show v 2.0". now I am using a system I've used before where I go online to a suggested site and I create a wishlist, I then order from said wishlist when the money is available.

Now this is where I would like the suggestions/advice, these are also items I have placed on my list;

Mask:
I chose and ordered the Extreme Rage X Ray PROtector mask w/thermal lens -Black

Hopper/loader:
I chose have not ordered the JT Evlution Paintball Loader - Black

Air tank:
please make a suggestion. I know I would like a 68/4500 and I'd like to spend no more then $200 (when the time comes) however that is all I know about this topic.

Marker/gun:
I know I want a Mech marker/gun and I am kinda leaning towards the BT-4 Combat Paintball Gun, however I am would like suggestions/advice on if there might be a better starter gun...I mean is the BT-4 a good starter marker/gun? I like the look however I think I might want/like a longer barrel at some point down the road, so the question here is...when it says "barrel thread" does this mean that it could take any barrel with that thread?(i.e. a 9+ inch barrel with A5/X7 thread". l would like to spend no more then $250 (when the time comes)

Thanks in advance! good luck out on the field and "May the odds be ever in your favor!"
North206 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old April 15th, 2016, 05:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Authoritah!
 
martix_agent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Lafayette, Indiana
Posts: 23,645
give this thread a good read. youre goingto hate that mask.
https://www.paintballforum.com/new-pl...e-markers.html
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
martix_agent is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2016, 05:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 8
Why wouldn't I like that mask? Do you have suggestion for this?
North206 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old April 15th, 2016, 11:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
huckduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,792
its a cheap non-thermal mask, and if its a full helmet, you're gonna be hot as hell because you will be trapping all the heat off the topp of your head
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
huckduck is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2016, 06:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Authoritah!
 
martix_agent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Lafayette, Indiana
Posts: 23,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckduck View Post
its a cheap non-thermal mask, and if its a full helmet, you're gonna be hot as hell because you will be trapping all the heat off the topp of your head
You'll never be able to see anything because your lens will constantly be fogged over.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
martix_agent is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2016, 08:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Legit
 
Trbo323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Washington
Posts: 13,990
Stay away from extreme range, they make some pretty terrible products

Hopper is fine, for a tank, pick up a ninja 68/4500, the standard tanks are $155 and fantastic

Bt4 is a good marker, I do have to ask though, you say you don't want a e market but then have an electronic loader, there is nothing wrong with wanting a mechanical marker I am just curious why. The bt4 is going to be the same basic marker that most fields rent out. Personally I like spyder over BT, for $60 you can get the same level of basic starting market from spyder. For the same money as the BT you can get a spyder that is packed with features

I would also look into azodin, their markets are almost exactly the same as spyder except they have autococker barrels (same barrel threads that almost everything in the mid and high end uses)
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


^^^If you are new, click here^^^


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

^^^ Putting together your tool bag?? Click here! ^^^
Trbo323 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2016, 02:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trbo323 View Post
Stay away from extreme range, they make some pretty terrible products

Hopper is fine, for a tank, pick up a ninja 68/4500, the standard tanks are $155 and fantastic

Bt4 is a good marker, I do have to ask though, you say you don't want a e market but then have an electronic loader, there is nothing wrong with wanting a mechanical marker I am just curious why. The bt4 is going to be the same basic marker that most fields rent out. Personally I like spyder over BT, for $60 you can get the same level of basic starting market from spyder. For the same money as the BT you can get a spyder that is packed with features

I would also look into azodin, their markets are almost exactly the same as spyder except they have autococker barrels (same barrel threads that almost everything in the mid and high end uses)
It's not that I don't want an E marker, in fact I'd very much like one however there are some things I've noticed just by looking at them and please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the hopper inserts always a straight up and down? I would like to be able to look down the barrel like a normal gun. Also, unless a person is familiar with PB guns aren't the E guns a little harder to maintain? Finally I'd like a gun with the ability to add a front grip of some kind. So if there is an E gun that could be customized with a front grip, is newb level easy to maintain, and either excepts a hopper from an angle (over to the right) or a hopper that is angled to give me line of site and is no more than $275 could someone please point it out?ray

P.S.
The site I built my wish list on is ansgear.com so I could potentially send the mask back...if it doesn't work for me.
North206 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2016, 03:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 8
Nvm those emojis and the word ray. That was supposed to be a praying hands Emoji.
North206 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2016, 03:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 8
Also I don't care about if the hopper is Electric or plain, I just liked that shape. If there is a different hopper you guys would suggest please by all means FIRE AWAY!
North206 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2016, 03:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Authoritah!
 
martix_agent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Lafayette, Indiana
Posts: 23,645
angled feednecks are not so much a thing anymore. Since paintballs dont' fly straight, and arc quickly, looking down the top of the barrel won't do you very much good anyhow.

Plus a centered feedneck makes your hopper stick out less when you're playing on the right side of a bunker; less chance to get hit
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
martix_agent is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2016, 03:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
huckduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by North206 View Post
It's not that I don't want an E marker, in fact I'd very much like one however there are some things I've noticed just by looking at them and please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the hopper inserts always a straight up and down? I would like to be able to look down the barrel like a normal gun. Also, unless a person is familiar with PB guns aren't the E guns a little harder to maintain? Finally I'd like a gun with the ability to add a front grip of some kind. So if there is an E gun that could be customized with a front grip, is newb level easy to maintain, and either excepts a hopper from an angle (over to the right) or a hopper that is angled to give me line of site and is no more than $275 could someone please point it out?ray

P.S.
The site I built my wish list on is ansgear.com so I could potentially send the mask back...if it doesn't work for me.
Paintball and firearms are two completely different animals. The adage used here is the only similarity between real firearms and paintball markers are a barrel and a trigger. Paintballs don't travel in a straight line (FSR aside), they're imperfect liquid filled orbs.



These are professionals, and as you'll notice, they don't use line of sight. i realize this is speedball, but even in milsim, they don't use sights other than for looks. you just cannot use a sight in paintball effectively if you're not using First Strike rounds (and those are damn expensive and still not allowed on most fields)

Emarkers don't take any more care than a regular marker. Myth busted. The only addition is you need to worry about a battery, and not play with your marker under water.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
huckduck is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2016, 06:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by martix_agent View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckduck View Post
its a cheap non-thermal mask, and if its a full helmet, you're gonna be hot as hell because you will be trapping all the heat off the topp of your head
You'll never be able to see anything because your lens will constantly be fogged over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckduck View Post
its a cheap non-thermal mask, and if its a full helmet, you're gonna be hot as hell because you will be trapping all the heat off the topp of your head
So although it says thermal...it's not a thermal?
North206 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2016, 07:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 8
Thanks to Trbo323 I am actually looking at maybe replacing the BT on my list with a Spyder. Any hopper suggestions? Also I just ran a fog test and...you all were :-( I don't like that mask. Any suggestions for a visored mask? Thanks all! These suggestions have been very helpful
North206 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2016, 07:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
Established member
 
tlmiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: AZ, USA
Posts: 9,221
I think they missed where it's the "higher" thermal one. That will be a thermal lens. NOt a very good field of vision, but thermal. I've heard they're not very comfortable either, but since you DID order the thermal one, there's absolutely nothing wrong with starting out with it. If it ends up fitting you well, then there's nothing wrong with it. I have a Virtue Vio & Valken MI-9, and while the Vio is 3x the price of the MI-9, I use the MI-9 just as much. THey're thermal, have as much range of vision, fit just as well. There's VERY good reasons the Vio cost much more, but the Valkens work great, and the lenses are so much cheaper to replace I've started using it as my main mask.
__________________
Yes, I have long since accepted that I have issues, with that said, here's:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
tlmiller is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2016, 07:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlmiller View Post
I think they missed where it's the "higher" thermal one. That will be a thermal lens. NOt a very good field of vision, but thermal. I've heard they're not very comfortable either, but since you DID order the thermal one, there's absolutely nothing wrong with starting out with it. If it ends up fitting you well, then there's nothing wrong with it. I have a Virtue Vio & Valken MI-9, and while the Vio is 3x the price of the MI-9, I use the MI-9 just as much. THey're thermal, have as much range of vision, fit just as well. There's VERY good reasons the Vio cost much more, but the Valkens work great, and the lenses are so much cheaper to replace I've started using it as my main mask.
Thank you for the suggestions. Looking into it. The lense looks really weird...not a fan
North206 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2016, 11:04 AM   #16 (permalink)
Super Legit
 
Trbo323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Washington
Posts: 13,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by North206 View Post
It's not that I don't want an E marker, in fact I'd very much like one however there are some things I've noticed just by looking at them and please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the hopper inserts always a straight up and down? I would like to be able to look down the barrel like a normal gun. Also, unless a person is familiar with PB guns aren't the E guns a little harder to maintain? Finally I'd like a gun with the ability to add a front grip of some kind. So if there is an E gun that could be customized with a front grip, is newb level easy to maintain, and either excepts a hopper from an angle (over to the right) or a hopper that is angled to give me line of site and is no more than $275 could someone please point it out?ray

P.S.
The site I built my wish list on is ansgear.com so I could potentially send the mask back...if it doesn't work for me.
while I am not going to stop you if you want to try and aim over the top the large problem with this is that paintballs arc so much you are often covering up your target with your barrel, as in, you can not see your target because your barrel will be blocking your view. even before centerfeeds came out you saw pros aiming down the side because of this reason. aiming down the side also helps you keep a lower profile as you can keep you head lower.

no maintenance difference between the e markers and non e markers, the only difference really is you are putting a solenoid between the trigger and the sear and unless you manage to break the solenoid somehow you will never need to touch it. The e markers offer an extremely light and short trigger pull which will allow you to get higher rates of fire out on the field. just remember to put a fresh battery in at the start of the day and you will be fine


Quote:
Originally Posted by North206 View Post
Thanks to Trbo323 I am actually looking at maybe replacing the BT on my list with a Spyder. Any hopper suggestions? Also I just ran a fog test and...you all were :-( I don't like that mask. Any suggestions for a visored mask? Thanks all! These suggestions have been very helpful
I am a fan of the spyder fenix and the azodin blitz, as a rule of thumb I like to tell people if you are going to be using CO2, get the fenix, if you are using HPA get the blitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlmiller View Post
I think they missed where it's the "higher" thermal one. That will be a thermal lens. NOt a very good field of vision, but thermal. I've heard they're not very comfortable either, but since you DID order the thermal one, there's absolutely nothing wrong with starting out with it. If it ends up fitting you well, then there's nothing wrong with it. I have a Virtue Vio & Valken MI-9, and while the Vio is 3x the price of the MI-9, I use the MI-9 just as much. THey're thermal, have as much range of vision, fit just as well. There's VERY good reasons the Vio cost much more, but the Valkens work great, and the lenses are so much cheaper to replace I've started using it as my main mask.
I need to add the MI-9 to the new player guide, would you be willing to do a write up for me miller? I have seen them around and like what valken has been doing lately
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


^^^If you are new, click here^^^


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

^^^ Putting together your tool bag?? Click here! ^^^
Trbo323 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2016, 07:39 PM   #17 (permalink)
Established member
 
tlmiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: AZ, USA
Posts: 9,221
Well, they take the same lenses as the MI8 that's been discontinued. They come with both a visor and a chin strap, for those that like them. They offer the lenses in all the mirrored colors, and the lenses offer a GREAT field of view, doubly so when you consider this is a THERMAL mask for $50.

The plastic is very rigid, very little flexibility, as is the rubber. These are not going to get bounces off of them very often. The tear apart procedure is easy, and is part of the reason I use these more than my Vio's (which are a PITA to remove the lens IMO). Hearing is as unimpared as I've ever experienced, although generally my hearing isn't overly impaired by most masks. I've also been told I have dog ears with how sensitive my hearing is.

In the end, while they're not going to get the bounces of an i4, or a Vio, they're an incredible mask for the money. You get a comfortable mask with a great field of vision and thermal lenses for $50, and the replacment lenses are available in almost any style (clear, tinted, yellow, mirrored, mirrored chromatic).
__________________
Yes, I have long since accepted that I have issues, with that said, here's:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
tlmiller is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2016, 01:57 PM   #18 (permalink)
Super Legit
 
Trbo323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Washington
Posts: 13,990
How is the foam against your face in comparison to other masks?
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


^^^If you are new, click here^^^


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

^^^ Putting together your tool bag?? Click here! ^^^
Trbo323 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2019, 09:36 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by North206 View Post
Hello all,
I am just starting my paintballing adventures and I am hoping for some suggestions/advice (as the title says). Thanks to a coworker, I have been tuned in to the PaintballtechPB page on Youtube, and I know the order in which to buy all my first stuff thanks to the segment called "Budget Baller Paintball Show v 2.0". now I am using a system I've used before where I go online to a suggested site and I create a wishlist, I then order from said wishlist when the money is available.

Now this is where I would like the suggestions/advice, these are also items I have placed on my list;

Mask:
I chose and ordered the Extreme Rage X Ray PROtector mask w/thermal lens -Black

Hopper/loader:
I chose have not ordered the JT Evlution Paintball Loader - Black

Air tank:
please make a suggestion. I know I would like a 68/4500 and I'd like to spend no more then $200 (when the time comes) however that is all I know about this topic.

Marker/gun:
I know I want a Mech marker/gun and I am kinda leaning towards the BT-4 Combat Paintball Gun, however I am would like suggestions/advice on if there might be a better starter gun...I mean is the BT-4 a good starter marker/gun? I like the look however I think I might want/like a longer barrel at some point down the road, so the question here is...when it says "barrel thread" does this mean that it could take any barrel with that thread?(i.e. a 9+ inch barrel with A5/X7 thread". l would like to spend no more then $250 (when the time comes)

Thanks in advance! good luck out on the field and "May the odds be ever in your favor!"
As far as other gear, get a good pair of paintball pants, an electronic loader like a Dye Rotor, maybe cleats, and a pod pack. I recommend against a jersey for pretty much anyone except those who are on a team and can justify the expense of a full custom team jersey. Just get a couple old baggy longsleeves and wear them over a baggy undershirt. If you do buy a jersey, get one used and make sure it's 2 sizes bigger than your normal shirt size.
bullseye67 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc. Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1