Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy just picked up an intercooled HO ProCharger setup for his '06 GT 5-speed. He's waiting until his warranty runs out to put it on, but he is worried about blowing something. When the system was on another car it made 485rwhp and he heard the safe limit for '06 GT's is around 450rwhp, so he's worried. He'd rather build it up now than blow it up later.

Therefore, what exactly should he do to built it up? He was thinking of having the bottom end built with '03/'04 Cobra stuff (rods and pistons) and buying a beefed up transmission. Would that work or what else should he do? What would it cost him to beef up the parts that need it?

He's asking me since I know a lot about stangs, but I have no clue when it comes to S197's.:(

Here's a pic of his car:

(The '72 SS Chevelle clone is also his.)

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an idea of what he needs to do, but I figured I would ask around since I've never put a blower on a car that wasn't already built to handle it.

·
Into the whole Yale thing
1,073 Posts
Lovely Chevelle, disgraces that modern piece!

Yeah I would build up the bottom as you said. Beefing up the tranny is a good idea, but also get a better clutch... I'd go with a Spec Stage 3+ cause it could handle the power and is still very driveable (unlike their higher levels). Might reinforce the shifting fork as I've seen those snap on cars that had more power than they were built for.

To keep temperatures/pressure down, besides the IC, I might go with water/alcohol-injection :devil:. Could also do an oil-cooling setup... Really depends how paranoid this guy is and how much money he can spend. Hmm... also a beefed up radiator with more capacity, redo the head gasket... And of course gauges to measure all those pesky temps and pressures.

That's just stuff I could think of off the top of my head

·
teh car guy
1,292 Posts
well, the bottom end idea from an 03/04 cobra is a good place to start. Secondly, if he's gonna have the blower and make all that power with a bottom end to back it up, then why not a cam to help it breathe better? A great cam plus some mild (or wild) porting work will yield great results.

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Secondly, if he's gonna have the blower and make all that power with a bottom end to back it up, then why not a cam to help it breathe better? A great cam plus some mild (or wild) porting work will yield great results.
That would all come later. Right now he just wants to make it so it wont blow up on him.

He's already killed a transmission with the stock engine, so I know that has to be built up. I know the driveshaft has to go as well (since the two-piece shafts aren't that great), I know the engine's bottom end is living on borrowed time at ~500RWHP so that has to get fixed too, finally I don't know what the rear can take but I'm sure it's not enough if he's going to put some sticky tires on. So we kinda know what we have to do. The problem is we don't know the best route to go (and the least expensive).

I was figuring he could send his block to Jack Merkel and have him build it up with a terminator Cobra crank/pistons/rods (or whatever he suggests). Figure that's $2-3k there unless we build it up ourselves. Then add some extra $ for good head gaskets and studs. That should work fine for what he wants. Next we'll look into getting his trans built up, a new clutch, a new flywheel, and a new driveshaft. I figure that's another 5k+.

He isn't going to like it when I tell him how much it will cost, but if you want reliability it simply isn't going to be cheap.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
With the right fuel setup and tune, I'm sure he would be perfectly safe. Just run no more then 13-14psi.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Mustang Forums - Enthusiast Forum for the Ford Mustang Go to the 05-07 section and you can find many threads that are asking the same question. The guys over there know what their talking about.

There are soooo many people that have just thrown on the Kenne Bell or whipple kits with about an 8psi street tune and have been fine. Most of these guys quickly upgrade the clutch because its going to go anyways. I havent heard of too many trany problems and most of these kits with the street tune are putting down 425-475 rwhp.

If you are going to replace the bottom end just do it right and skip over the terminator internals. The Termi's internals are pretty good for a stock car but if hes going to be upgrading them he might as well spend the money and get some good stuff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts