Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Tippmann A-5 basic. I haven't added or done anything to it. I do tend to play the sniper a lot. I find a spot and lay down and wait 45 min+ or however long it takes to get a shot. My friend has a 18 inch RAP4 Tactical Rifled barrel that he is selling for $20. Said it doesn't fit his style. Should I get it? Would it benefit me? He has only used it 3 times and said he paid $45 brand new. Should I get it?

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
18 is a little too long for pretty much any application.. stick with no more than a 16, however 14" is typically the best/most reccomended length.. look for a j&j ceramic, very cheap, and works great

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
can go polevaulting with a barrel that long. =P

seriously, though, that's just obscenely long and entirely unnecessary.

·
S.O.C.A.T.
1 Posts
One of my teammates had one of the RAP4 rifled barrels, and I used it a few times myself on an X7. 2 comments:

1. The RAP4 rifling really doesn't do much, in my experience. Without getting into a big technical debate over whether rifling works or not, I didn't find any really marked improvement on the RAP4 rifled over the Lapco barrel I was using at the time.

2. 18" is way too long. Even if you play from the back, 18" makes it very difficult to shoot from behind cover because you will have to stand at least 18" back from your bunker in order to shoulder the marker and be able to pop out to shoot. I really can't stress how annoying and awkward this is, in my experience.

My recommendation: bite the bullet and buy yourself a 12" or 14" Freak barrel kit with the full inserts kit. This is what I did, and it was night-and-day difference in the performance I saw. Ya its expensive but you probably won't ever buy another barrel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts