Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I had to rethink how long I was staying at my job, and figured up how much I would be spending monthly *420* due to a family situation. But I've estimated hours/wages and everything, and It's Looking like I'll have around 5861 at the beginning of July. Got my acceptance letter, so all I have to do is register/get drug tested, so everything is final as of the 31st of this month. Well, I'm gonna take 860 and take the g/f to Memphis Tennessee to have fun for a a few days or so, then I'm gonna get an apartment and pay 3 months rent up front far an apartment that'll be closer to my next job. I'm gonna go ahead, get a phone, some appliances, and some other necessities. Once I get caught up money I'm thinking about Keeping the buick and starting on a project car.

I'm really into the Eclipses, but I'm really liking the 1999 Mitsubishi Spyder Eclipse GS-T that's Green with a Tan Interior.

Basically, I'm gonna finance it to build credit up. I'm gonna keep the buick as my daily driver except for nice days when I'll drive the Eclipse, or trips to Florida, Summer beach runs, w/e.

Anyways, I'm wanting all upholstry and paint and stuff to be in good condition, but I'm wandering what it'll take to rebuild it front to back as far as drivetrain, suspension, and steering?

Right now I'm thinking rebuild motor,
Aftermarket OEM Turbo
Rebuild Tranny
Rebuild Rear End
Aftermarket suspension.
All minor components: Radiator/water pump/steering pump/distributor/plugs n wires/ etc
Basically, I wanna do a total rebuild on the car, and paint and audio will be the last thing I wanna do. Can someone lay out a basic floor plan?

Yeah I know, "Just buy a new eclipse" but I want a 1999 that is brand new. Don't care bout the resell value, just want something that I can play with and enjoy.

Edit: If I can find one with low miles and good shape, what would be some good starting mods to do to it to get a lil more horsepower?

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
You will not find one you're describing for 5800... Try like.. 8-10k.

Get a 95 with a blown motor or something. They have the EPROM ECU which DSMLink can hook right into. But just by reading your post, you need to really read up on DSMs, you know nothing.

Rebuild rear end? Wtf, GS-T = front wheel drive buddy.

Do not make payments on a DSM. Because when it breaks, you'll be making payments on a 3000 pound paperweight.

Here's the game plan.

Buy 95' Eclipse
Get 97-99 bumpers, skirts, spoiler and headlights (cheaper then buying a 97+ lol, especially if you plan on painting anyways)
Build a sixbolt
Swap sixbolt
FP 3065 Turbo
Run 12's :)

Nah it's not that easy. But seriously, get something that needs some work. Because owning these cars, you pretty much become a "mechanic" anyways, and it's something that will eventually need some attention. Being that you know nothing about these, I can gurantee you'd buy an MBC and completely run your car to **** without datalogging. It happens man, I spiked 21psi and freaked the **** out.

I've gotta run but I'll pop back in here later. Punkdrummer I'm sure knows more about me but I've learned a ****load ever since I got my TSi AWD.

Oh yeah and AWD > FWD X1000000000000000000000000

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, The buick is gonna stay as my daily driver while I rebuild it. But the 5800 or w/e is not for the car. It's for rent/bills/groceries b/c I'm tired of my mom dragging her life through the mud and taking me with her. *Long story*

but as far as the fwd /rear end goes, I kno that was tarded. Beyond all recognition. I'm not wanting a strip car, just a bone stock rebuilt spyder gs-t green/tan.

Then once it gets paid off I'll actually worry bout throwin mods into it. '

but any info where I can look this up?

·
teh car guy
1,292 Posts
go to dsmtuners and dsmtalk and start reading up. Here is a great source of information for you-I started reading this site when I was around 13 and knew what I need when I bought my talon. Check out vfaq.com Any little question you might have is right there. When you're looking for one, try to get one that has a 6-bolt(90-92) swap already in it. Therefore, you will never have to worry about crankwalk. If you have a low-mileage 7-bolt(95-99), you might be alright. 7-bolts in the 99 models rarely have problems with crankwalk, but it can happen. The problem is the design in the oil squirters, which used a different type of valve. They clog up, thus starving the mains of oil. In turn, your crank "walks" itself out of spec. When you are testing out a 95-99 car, take a left turn, and press the clutch in. If the clutch wants to stick to the floor, it is a dead giveaway of crankwalk.

If you are going to use your buick for a daily, might I suggest finding a 95 that has a lot of miles, and doing a fresh 6-bolt swap. Like 1337 said, try to snatch up an eprom ecu. They can sometimes be hard to find, but are worth it. Bottom line, dsmlink is the s***.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. 1337 and I both know these cars pretty well, so we'll probably be able to answer any question that you might have.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
you still getting 40 to the gallon with the buick? if I remember correctly it was you that posted that thread about it.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol, I wish, mileage has went down, dunno why. Think it may b/c I've been usin the ac/heat so much lately. *Real hot, then Real cold*

But the 40 mpg was liek a 1 time thing, was gettin REALLY good mileage this summer tho.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like I said, I just want a new eclipse, but if all else fails, I'll find one with as low mileage as possible.

·
Xplicit Eg06
4,567 Posts
You wont find a brand new 99.

If your buying one with low miles, you wont need to replace anything with OEM stuff. Only performance if you want it to be faster.

And DSM owner should have a good background of knowlage with the cars, they are tempermental, and dont really like to be ****ed with too much for tuning.

·
teh car guy
1,292 Posts
yea, find a 95. Only difference is the body, which isn't hard to update. The only downfall with a 95 is there may be a little rust here and there, but nothing some sanding and bondo (if necessary) can't fix! I'm in the middle of bodywork on my hatch, and its not so bad.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts