Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
oh snap
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, lately I have been looking at a pretty nice 2001 Dodge Neon R/T at a somewhat nearby car lot that I really like. Looks pretty nice...red with some black SRT-4 style rims. I really want something thats better on gas for my truck, but still has some balls and doesn't look like crap either.

The Neon has 77,000 miles on it, has the 2.0L Magnum engine with a 5-speed tranny, and the car place is asking $4,500 for it. Not bad. I looked on kbb.com and the price is pretty good. I am actually currently trying to sell my truck for the same.

My truck is a 1995 Dodge Ram 1500SLT Sport. Has the 5.2L 318 V8, 135,000 miles and running strong (ran 17.2 @ 81.3mph in the 1/4 mile last weekend), and some goodies inside. Under the hood it's got a K&N air filter (only like 5,000 miles on it), a new water pump (about 10,000 miles), and a new EGR valve is going in next week. Also has new tires (only like 8,000 miles on them), nice Pioneer headunit (DEH-4800MP), Pioneer 6x9's in the doors, a JL 250/1 amp, and a 12 inch JLW3v2. Last week I put in Sylvania SilverStar headlights.

Kelly Blue Book says I would get like 3,000 bucks for a trade in or something like that and private party seller for my truck is like 4,000.

So what do you guys think? Should I see what I could get for a trade in or wait and sell the truck...but possibly sell it too late and not be able to buy the car?

EDIT: Also, my truck is ready to go for XM radio. Everything is installed and the dash unit is ready to go...just needs a subscription.

·
oh snap
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cgras - I went and talked to the owner of the car lot and talked to him about trading my truck in and he said that I could take all the audio stuff out and it wouldn't change his trade in offer..which was a lowball ($1500...was looking to trade my truck in for an Eagle Talon like 2 months ago and that salesman offered 2,750).

lovetocheat - I would love to get an srt-4, but they are too pricey for my income right now and my insurance would be too high with one

Got a better look at the car today and it's in good shape. Only defects I saw were on the front bumper (small crack and scratches), the antenna was broke, and the dash is starting to flake. Other than that it looked great. Hopefully next weekend it's still there since my parents agreed to go look at it.

·
oh snap
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

That's what it looks like. The only difference is the one I am looking at has a dodge sticker on the windshield and the rims are polished black.

·
Registered
920 Posts
That's ok as long as you dont pretend that its fast and rice it out. I have no problem with your standard, grocery getter neon, hell my aunt had one(till she wrapped it around a tree). Just keep ti stock, and you'll be fine. I had some douchebag at my school who had a base neon and put a 2 foot wing, racing stripes, a bigass fart can, and nawzzz stickers on it. I lol'd because it was about as quick as a mac truck with a fully loaded trailer.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
lovetocheat - I would love to get an srt-4, but they are too pricey for my income right now and my insurance would be too high with one
Where there's a will theres a way...

That's ok as long as you dont pretend that its fast and rice it out. Just keep ti stock, and you'll be fine.
You should go by your own advice.

·
Registered
920 Posts
If your referring to my subaru, i know my car is slow as balls, and i wouldnt call putting rims on a car rice, it's not like im gonna put wal-mart spinners on it. I could see if I wanted to put a wing on it and that crap. now put a sock in it and get back on topic.

·
Taking Back Control
2,191 Posts
stickers........lots, and lots, and lots of stickers...lol

I'm leaving my car bone stock unless the money is going under the hood (or to get rid of my destroyed front bumper lol)

Decent neon I 'spose. Head gaskets are a hot commodity with those things, so keep an eye on that.

·
oh snap
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea I know about their head gaskets...my aunt has an 02 neon and she had to get a new head gasket like a year ago.

crustybug - the only stickers I would put on this would be a small JL audio sticker in the back window. It already has a Dodge sticker on the windshield.

It already has good looking rims on it and I like the spoiler...not ricey. There is no way in hell I would put a fart can on it. R/Ts have dual exhaust stock that sounds decent...again not ricey, just the way it should be.

I wouldn't even touch the outside of the car unless I had to (repairs)..well possibly a window tint, but thats it. If I'm going to put money into it, it's going to be for performance, not looks. IMO the car looks good just the way it is. A couple cheap bolt-on's and neons can be pretty damn quick. Not insanely fast by all means, but quick enough to be fun to drive and beat all the dumb rice burners...which reminds me of a funny story.

2 weeks ago it was battle of the high schools at a nearby drag strip..I decided to run my truck (1995 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport..did pretty good actually). My second race was against a Civic Del Sol...big wing, big fart can, big "bling" rims, and the driver had a big ego...rice rice baby. The dumbass just looked over at me when we were getting ready and waiting for the last 2 cars to finish and he just smiles and shakes his head. Light turns green and he gets off the line pretty quick..faster than me but hey my truck weighs like 2-3 times as much as the damn civic. I start catching up to him and I can hear that damn fart can over my straight pipes on my truck. He looks over at me with a suprised look on his face as I pass him about half way down the track. My time was like 16.9 @ 82.3mph...his was 17.3 @ like 78mph...****in kids these days and their piece of **** rice burners

1 - 11 of 11 Posts