Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I am upgrading from my upgraded tippy to a PMR. I am already taking care of the tank and hopper.
Just wondering what I should do to mess with it. I figured first things first, I am going to upgrade the barrel to a UL and change the plastic trigger. Any ideas?

·
Paintball?
7,646 Posts
I'd change the plastic trigger first, and not spend a crap load of money on the UL barrel
The UL is WAYYY overpriced IMO, there are whole barrel kits you can buy for the price of some UL barrels

·
Huge Car Guy
199 Posts
OK, so I am upgrading from my upgraded tippy to a PMR. I am already taking care of the tank and hopper.
Just wondering what I should do to mess with it. I figured first things first, I am going to upgrade the barrel to a UL and change the plastic trigger. Any ideas?
What gun is it? Because there is no 2011 PMR, the Proto Matrix Rail is a discontinued marker that mirrored the DM series. The Rail could be called the spiritual successor, but it is not an updated PMR and not a sequel. Sorry, it's just a pet peeve of mine when people call the Rail a PMR.

If it's the base model Rail, buy a new feedneck FIRST. You don't want your $100+ loader taking a spill because of the cheap plastic clamp that comes with the gun. After that, get yourself a new barrel. The UL is a great barrel, but a waste of money new. If you can't find one used, go for a Empire Nightstick (overbored) or a J&J ceramic. The trigger on the base is NOT plastic, it's decent quality aluminium. It's actually a really decent trigger, enough so that I see no reason for ever replacing it. I would definitely look into a TechT L7 bolt, the stock bolt is great but does eat some serious air. The only other upgrades I would do are an on/off ASA, and new grips. That's about it.

If it's the Reflex Rail, there's really nothing that needs to be upgraded (besides maybe the bolt), maybe a new feedneck if you don't like it.

·
Banned
14,001 Posts
the Proto Matrix Rail is a discontinued marker that mirrored the DM series.
except for the part that the only similarities were the grip frame and that they both had "matrix" in the name, beyond that they have nothing in common

Im going to assume HPA tank, loader and thermal mask are taken care of

id agree that feedneck is next, then a on/off ASA as long as you dont have one already, after that your pick, id forget the UL barrel and opt for a J&J ceramic if you want a single barrel and if you want a kit there are lots of options out there, J&J also makes a decent one but if you want a really nice kit with lots of sizing options, check out a DW fibur, full CF barrel with the freak kit inside. as far as i know its also the lightest barrel per length currently on the market

·
Huge Car Guy
199 Posts
except for the part that the only similarities were the grip frame and that they both had "matrix" in the name, beyond that they have nothing in common
Obviously, by mirrored I mean economically, as it was the top of the line Proto compared to the top of the line Dye.

·
Banned
14,001 Posts
again, not at all true

proto produced the Proto matrix series markers which were essentially test beds for new Dye technology

matrix series markers were only produced for 1 year each and were high end markers (balanced spools), the rail on the other hand, whichever one you are talking about, has always been produced for more than 1 year and is a mid range marker (unbalanced spools)

·
Banned
14,001 Posts
yes you are, they are 2 different markers

PM# markers are nolonger made, 09 was the last year

PMR/PR/PRR just has had its name changed and the bolt on bits swapped through the years but its the same marker and still being produced

·
Stripper Supporter
1,199 Posts
Either way, still a pretty great gun for the price. As for the barrel kits, if you are really looking for a nice barrel, and plan on keeping it for a while, invest in a Smart Parts/GoG Freak Barrel Kit. That may be one of the only things that they did well. Otherwise, check out the CP barrels. I have two and love them; plus, the CP barrel is only $30...

·
Premium Member
9,221 Posts
yes you are, they are 2 different markers

PM# markers are nolonger made, 09 was the last year

PMR/PR/PRR just has had its name changed and the bolt on bits swapped through the years but its the same marker and still being produced
08, not 09.

PM8 was the final PM#, which ceased production in like June of 08.

·
Huge Car Guy
199 Posts
08, not 09.

PM8 was the final PM#, which ceased production in like June of 08.
I think he's right there was no PM9 to my memory... But new bolts and internal bits changes the gun, I don't know how you can call it the same if it's not.

·
Huge Car Guy
199 Posts
The Reflex and the base Rail are the exactly same gun, the Reflex is just slightly upgraded. Same exact maintenance. You turn the back cap about 2 1/2 turns and pull the entire bolt out. The bolt is three pieces, you lube them up, screw them back together, and pop it back in. It's one of the easiest guns I've ever taken apart. But I do own an Ion....

·
Super Moderator
3,802 Posts
The Reflex and the base Rail are the exactly same gun, the Reflex is just slightly upgraded. Same exact maintenance. You turn the back cap about 2 1/2 turns and pull the entire bolt out. The bolt is three pieces, you lube them up, screw them back together, and pop it back in. It's one of the easiest guns I've ever taken apart. But I do own an Ion....
... eh.... contradict yourself in the same breath. nice.

in all seriousness though, he is right. the care is the exact same.

only the quest is easier. no can to deal with

1 - 20 of 33 Posts