Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so basically im fortunate enough to have my parents together, but im 18 now and me and my parents are drifting apart (like most teenagers probably)
my dad and i fish together sometimes still but id like to do more with him

im convincing him to get a paintball gun and gear so we can bond that way but when i was younger (12 or 13?) we went to a shooting range and used .22s

basically im looking to get a .22 or two but im no expert on them so im wondering what i should look for when purchasing one
are there better brands out there or do they all offer the same thing?

buying tips?

any help is appreciated
thanks

·
Certified Caffeine Addict
3,072 Posts
Dogpatch said:
For just piddling around, a Ruger 10/22. It's a semi auto that comes with a 10 round magazine. You can slap a low power scope on there and have plenty of fun.
QFT. Or, you can slap a 30-rd on there and dominate the squirrels :devil:

Just make sure you use decent ammo in them, or they tend to jam. None of that federal crap. CCM or better thumup:

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I seem to remember seeing a 10-round .22 at walmart for $100, not sure if it was bolt action or semi though, but probablly bolt action. Whenever we go to see my mom's sister, we go through like 2 1000 round boxes just shooting at stuff (with semi's), and occasonally we kill something. They're fun to mess around with... and they don't kick that much, so you can shoot all day and you won't have bruises on your shoulder.

But for around $100 (maybe more) you can buy any generic 9mm pistol and go cap some foos... Personally I think thats a bit more fun. :dodgy:

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MedicDVG said:
Go to your local sport shop and ask there.
sometimes places will tell you its not worth buying anything unless you buy a $500 gun.
but ill ask

paintthecatBLUE said:
But for around $100 (maybe more) you can buy any generic 9mm pistol and go cap some foos... Personally I think thats a bit more fun. :dodgy:
. . . i live in Canada

theres no foos and nobody caps nobody

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so nothing needs to be known when buying a 22?

by the way
no foos
just angry ppl in hotel . . . .
good luck in the bronze medal game tomorrow

·
Your Worst Nightmare
5,270 Posts
I would actually recommend against the .22, only for the lack of entertainment after a few trips to the range. .22's have wonderful use for pest control, but milsurp or high powered rifles are where it's at. You can have all sorts of fun, and it never gets old! Restoring something old to something beautiful is loads of fun, and is definitely something two people can do, and do with pride.

Might i add.... it's cheaper too!

- Brian

·
Registered
346 Posts
N8ive_Snoborder said:
. . . i live in Canada

theres no foos and nobody caps nobody
Sure about that? Toronto has like 55+ Shooting deaths alone last year.

:nododgy:

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Phal said:
Sure about that? Toronto has like 55+ Shooting deaths alone last year.

:nododgy:
ok
doubt its that high

maybe 55 for all of ontario

i live near vancouver and everyone was appauled and a drive by made headlines for like 2 or 3 days when a gang member shot at another gang member :shrug:

back to the 22s
what would u reccomend if i dont get a 22 then?
we are not experts (me and my dad) and are not gunna shell out wads of cash for this new hobby, keep in mind

·
Registered
434 Posts
.22 are great a got to mant bolt, semi auto and full auto alike, but Headley is right they get old,(cept for meh automatic, oh yeah) buta higher power is fun especially at the range, um i have a 25/250 lever action that is awesome, now meh baby my 30 ought 6 i love it death cant beat it, but yeah expensive. .22 i would say are your best bet for some fun cheap range fun, and if you pick up a nice one , or even name brand they are often very accurate

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so if you dont reccomned a .22 then what would you reccomend to a newer rifleman and his dad that isnt terribly expensive?

·
Registered
20 Posts
shotties are fun to play with if you like skeet shooting. I've seen them as low as 200, and a box of 25 shells are as low as 5 bucks a box. I myself have a Remington pump along with a .22 LR bolt action Remington. (about 80 years old now) .22s are fun to just sit out in the country and shoot at things, small animals (Only if you eat what you kill) or old cans and bottles...Or, if you want to get a different rifle, Big 5 every now and then has sales on WW2 remake rifles for under 100.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
and if i dont know a heck of a lot about restoring rifles and want a new one, what would you reccomend for the high powered rifles?
any specific beginner-type rifles that anyone would reccomend?

·
Your Worst Nightmare
5,270 Posts
The 30.06 seems to be the most popular choice when it comes to high power rifles. Personally, I'm staying away from this round, only because everyone uses it!

The 308 is another popular choice. This is used by law enforcement in their sniper rifles.

8mm is another choice. The good thing about this choice, is the ammo is dirt cheap.

You can go with something chambered in 5.56 or 7.62X39. Fun little rounds, great for messing around. Typically used in assault rifles though. They have a medium charge so they don't have a lot of punch at longer ranges.

Have fun with it! Do some research.

- Brian

1 - 17 of 17 Posts