Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a guy selling a used Tippmann A5 (that he'd be willing to demonstrate works, of course) with a mask, and the following stuff: E-grip, flatline barrel (and stock barrel),A5 stock, fake mag with storage, powertube, powerspring, and x7 hopper. Here's a pic he sent me:

I'm pretty new to paintball, but want to get into it, and would like to start with a pretty decent gun, but I couldn't pay any more than what he's asking: $275, which is already a little more than I had hoped to spend. What do you guys think? Is it a good deal? If not, how much do you think it's worth?

·
Premium Member
23,657 Posts
absolutely not. Tippman A-5's are worthless, if you go tippman get a 98C. I wouldn't pay more than $170 for what he's selling. I'd look into a spyder vs1 if you want an electronic paintball marker.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
absolutely not. Tippman A-5's are worthless, if you go tippman get a 98C. I wouldn't pay more than $170 for what he's selling. I'd look into a spyder vs1 if you want an electronic paintball marker.
I had done a fair bit of online research, and the A5 always received pretty favorable reviews; what's no good about it? Not that I don't believe you, I'm just trying to learn as much as I can about markers before I buy one. Thanks for your help!

·
Bringer of large farts
2,370 Posts
lord....

the stock, fake mag, and RIS rails are useless. Don't pay that much for that crap....you really are wasting money in the extreme on stuff that will not make you play any better.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lord....

the stock, fake mag, and RIS rails are useless. Don't pay that much for that crap....you really are wasting money in the extreme on stuff that will not make you play any better.
I was mostly referring to the E-grip and flatline barrel, which supposedly improve performance quite a bit. Once again, I totally respect your opinion because I don't really know anything about paintball guns- but what is it that makes the A5 crap?

·
Premium Member
23,657 Posts
the cyclone loader and price. the cyclone is simply a marketing device meant to make it look better.
the flatline is crap as well. it may shoot further, but the balls float around and don't break pas the normal distance normal barrels fire.

Even the e-grip is much overpriced. you can buy a used electronic spyder for the price of a new tippman egrip.

·
Bringer of large farts
2,370 Posts
I was mostly referring to the E-grip and flatline barrel, which supposedly improve performance quite a bit. Once again, I totally respect your opinion because I don't really know anything about paintball guns- but what is it that makes the A5 crap?

The e-grip is great, the flatline barrel is crap. They haven't worked as well as advertised since they came out. There picky about paint, and the backspin effect is.... less than effective.

The A-5 isn't THAT bad, but the quality of tippmans has been sinking in the last few years....kinda sad really. We have some in the shop that are ten years old that are still plugging along.....and brand new ones that are already down.

An e-gripped A-5 is a little long for my taste, but not a horrible gun. That one is way to much for useless junk.

·
shine on.
10,745 Posts
The A5 is an overpriced 98c. You can buy the e-grip (actually e-bolt I think it's called, serves the same purpose) and cyclone feed system for a 98c (which serves more purpose than looks, rofl). 275 is too much, in my opinion, but if it's worth it to you, with how it looks, then go for it. It will preform well, unless you're going to use bad paint in the flatline (can be a pain), and last a long time.

·
Premium Member
23,657 Posts
I think. the e-bolt and e-grip are different things....I'm pretty sure they are. the e-bolt isn't made anymore.
the cyclone hopper is worthless spend the money on a halo or velovity instead and then it can be used on any marker instead of just on a tippman.

·
Bringer of large farts
2,370 Posts
Yeah the e-bolt is a fully electropneumatic conversion. Think of a marq....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll offer the guy $175, and if he doesn't wanna go that low, I'll keep looking- I've already been perusing the other 'best beginner guns' threads, thanks a lot guys!

·
Registered
58 Posts
If he declines your offer of $175, tell him to keep the flatline and you'll pay $150 or something. He can sell the flatline on ebay to recover some of the difference. But that's only if you really really want that marker. The Egrip is like $100 I think (new) and so is the flatline (new). Resale on those 2 can't be much more than 40-50% of their original price. So at $150, it'd would probably be worth it if you're getting the eGrip and X7 hopper.

Other than that, I'd say look into getting a VS1 or other Spyder. You could find some great prices on Spyders both new and used. Then you could use what you saved to buy paint, hopper, tanks, pay field fees etc etc.

Oh, and I'd rather get a Smart Parts SP-1 than the Tippman A5, but that's just my opinion. The A5 and X7 are not bad markers, but you're paying alot for minor upgrades in the gun's mechanics. What makes them cost so much is basically looks and the RIS. They're great for MilSim and all, but I just couldn't justify dumping that much $ in a marker when I could spend the same amount for a much better one. And for the record, I wanted an X-7 when I first saw it. However after alot of research and advice from friends & local PB Shops, I found that I could spend my $ more wisely on other things.

Sorry for ranting, but there's my 2 cents..

·
Registered
28 Posts
if i was in your shoes, i would strip the thing down to its bare ass and check every inch of it. remember what your mom says, never judge a book by its cover. ive never had any problems with Tippmann and my buddy's A-5 is still going strong after 3 years. in my opinion they are a decent gun.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks a lot, you guys are helping a ton!

WoRkAh0LiC: Yeah, I'm looking hard at VS1's- there seems to be a near consensus that it's a good starter gun. I'm also considering a JT Protium (haven't heard much about it, but what I have heard has been positive-- anyone here have an opinion?) for $60(!) on Actionvillage, as well as a Dye Proto SLG for $190 on eBay. I'm confident that the Dye is a good gun, but I would LOVE to not spend a ton of money right now, and could use the rest for good accessories.

What do you guys recommend in terms of hoppers (I've heard good things about halos, but that's all I know), tanks (how big of a tank do I need?), and masks?

baggeds10: I don't expect him to accept my offer- but if he does, I will certainly do as you suggest. What should I be looking for when I strip it down?

Once again, all of you have been really helpful, thanks!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yeah, I'm looking hard at VS1's- there seems to be a near consensus that it's a good starter gun.
Very true. Alot of beginners, as well as people that come back to paintball after some time, start off with a Spyder. Most times, it's the VS1.

I'm also considering a JT Protium (haven't heard much about it, but what I have heard has been positive-- anyone here have an opinion?) for $60(!) on Actionvillage, as well as a Dye Proto SLG for $190 on eBay. I'm confident that the Dye is a good gun, but I would LOVE to not spend a ton of money right now, and could use the rest for good accessories.
People have different opinions about the SLG. I have never used it nor seen it used, so I couldn't tell you much. I've never even heard of the Protium, but remember that you do get what you pay for. I would definately try to save some of the money for paint, fees, accessories etc.

What do you guys recommend in terms of hoppers (I've heard good things about halos, but that's all I know), tanks (how big of a tank do I need?), and masks?
I wouldn't get a HALO in your position. I have mixed feelings about the Halo, but that's just me. I'd suggest a VLocity Jr. - it's a great hopper, but not too cheap at $97. I personally have an EGG3 (Viewloader EVLution 3), but I didn't buy it (got it for free from a friend that works for a paintball company). If I had the choice, I would have chosed the VL Jr.

In terms of masks, just find one that you feel is comfortable. Always make sure they have anti-fog or (preferrably) thermal lenses (not the same thing). I got a Dye I3 Pro from ZephyrPaintball.com for $60, but again it depends on what feels best to you - comfort is very important. I'm sure your local shop has a lot of masks that you can check out.

In terms of tanks, it depends if you're willing to shell out the extra cash for a HPA tank, or want to save some money and get CO2. If you go CO2, make sure you get one that has Anti Siphon. Again, go to a local shop for comparison. I tried out different tanks to see how they feel on my marker (didn't bring my gun so I used the store's display to get a feel for the tank). I ended up getting a 68ci / 4500psi Carbon Fiber Wrapped HPA Tank since it felt more balanced on my gun than other tanks did. I use it as a shoulder stock as well, and that played a large role in size testing. I;m sure you could find a good deal for a used one here in BST, but still go to your local PB shop to check everything out. And remember to check the Hydro Date before you buy an HPA tank!

I'm more than happy to help, and so is everyone else. We'll do our best to help you make an educated decision.

·
Bringer of large farts
2,370 Posts
WOrkaholics right on the money for loaders- vlocity jr. is your best bet.

Stay away from the protium- it's a bad spyder clone. Spend the extra 30$ on the VS1.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok- here's a hypothetical package I've set up on actionvillage: Remanufactured VS1, Velocity JR loader, Pure Energy 48ci N2 tank, PMI Pure Energy Coil (having the tank on a pack seems like a pretty good idea), gun oil, a squeegee, and a PMI 4+1 harness, totalling $320.

What do ya'll think?

·
Registered
58 Posts
VS1 Remanufactured sounds good. It's pretty much "like new" since it's coming straight from the manufacturer.

Do you have a link to the tank?

I've never used my tank as a remote, so I can't help you there.

I recommned more than 1 type of squeegee (Call it overkill, but I have 7 squeegees, 3 different kinds LOL).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts