Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
chicks dig scars baby!
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to start off ill say im a freshman just so no one is confused

well today in career explorations our counselor (annoying PMSing pregnant *****) came in and we had to list some possible classes for the nxt 4 yrs of highschool, just ideas. nothing was permenant. well i think id like to have a career in law enforcement or military. for the moment being though im focusing more on law enforcement.

well i was wondering what classes i should be looking to take to help me wen i go to college....and what college classes/how long do u have to go to college to be a police officer?

so far i have psychology, sociology, and american justice listed that pertain to law enforcement. any others i should look into? thanks, ne help or extra info is appreciated

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
College is not a prerequisite for law enforcement. Many cops go right out of highschool.

To be ahead of the game however, college in a criminal justice field helps.

·
I'm on your back.
1,882 Posts
ArmoArchangel said:
College is not a prerequisite for law enforcement.

Yeah, if you want the low paying jobs.
Even as a cop, you generally make more money if you have gone to college.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
All I said was that is wasn't a prerequisite. I wasn't saying you'd do well without college, just that you CAN be a cop without college.

·
¡Viva La Rob!
6,076 Posts
go to your guidance counselor.. im sure anyone here knows what COLLEGE majors would help you.. half this forum isnt even in college, nevermind the fact that theyre even in HS.. and you're a freshman, worry about college when you're a junior, and worryingabout what you want to do when you're a sophmore IN college..

·
I was saving that bacon
7,177 Posts
Do everything Ja said. Im a senior, and i just now figured out what im going to do when i get into college. Plan on working for the cdc or fbi when i get out. Genetic engineering rocks. :naughty

·
¡Viva La Rob!
6,076 Posts
im a junior, i dont even know what schools i even want to go to. the only one on my mind is university of buffalo, but besides that i really dont know.. theres not point in even thinking about it because everyone changes their mind in college anyway.. everyone says 'im going to be a lawyer' or 'im going to be an accountant'. 99% of the time they dont even do what they claim they would in HS..

my dad's friend graduated with a degree in film, what did he do after college? he worked for the GARMENT INDUSTRY...

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
ask if your school has a career exploration class. as a senior I rode with the local PD for an hour and a half a day. The offer is still on the table any time when Im done with my military service I can get a job in any department in the county. Get in good with the police cheifs and sherrifs. I don't think I will be going to work for them because I can't see myself as a small town/area officer. But I can still use that asset as a character witness to any job I want. It looks good when your next potential boss gets a letter from all the agencies in the area saying that you are a stand up individual that would be an asset to there force.

When my tour in iraq is over I am going to try my best to start taking criminal justice classes. I can't take on too large a load at any one time because I have a job to do but it is nice to get a few credits smashed out. I can also take all my classes after getting outa the army.

its a noble profesion go for it man.

·
Registered
110 Posts
First off, all states are different in regards to the requirements to be a police officer. In my state, you can go to 3/4 different police academies: one, St. Louis City (last time I checked you have to be hired by St. Louis City) two, St. Louis County (last time I checked you have to be hired by St. Louis County) three, Highway Patrol academy (you have to be hired by the HP to attend) and there was one academy that you could pay your own way through (cost when I went was about 3500 or so and that included books/uniforms. This class was 11 months long going 3 days a week and every other Sunday. If you went to this school full time it was 18 weeks I think and you couldnt work.
If you want to get a college degree, I would recomend something other than criminal justice. Something more like business management or accounting or something along those lines.
Hope this helped, and PM me if you have anyother questions.
If you get a criminal justice degree, you STILL have to go to a police academy.
I graduated from the 11 month academy in 1990 and worked as a police officer for 6 years before getting a better job.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts