Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my dad bought my an old Buick for cheap even though i'm 1 yr short on having my license. I don't plan on keeping the car or driving it around, just we were planning on making it run, which it doesn't, then put a few aftermarket parts on it. Then the last step would be to sell it for profit. Now I don't want to pimp it out or anything but I first need help on it to run so what should I replace/check?

Personally I was thinking spark plugs and an oil change would make it start up. If not maybe fresh gasoline and some new filters or a new battery. Would do you guys think? O yeah, also I do get all the profit from this car so $500-1000 would mean a lot of pball equipment which would really help.

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
1. First you have to check the gas tank and all the other fluids that are in there to make sure they haven't gelled. Drain all the fluids and put new stuff in.

2. Check the belts and hoses to make sure they arn't frayed, cracking, ect.

3. I don't think you will have any problems, but most people also check the electrical wires for fraying, splitting, ect. Get new spark plugs and maybe spark plug wires if they look fouled.

4. Change the Airfilter and rebuild the carb/get new injectors.

5. Change the battery.

6. When you start it up make sure to check for overheating, oil pressure, ect.

That is usually what most people look at/change to get an old car running again after it has been sitting a while. Figure it will cost you anywhere from $100 to $500 if there is no major problems.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, today we battery jump started it and the electrical system on it started working. After like 5 mins we tryed to start it up and all it did was shut off. Do you think it's doesn't have enough batteyr power? Also it's out of gas...but I think it would at least choke....because it didnt even choke. The air filter needs replacing and the spark plugs are pretty dirty, also we'll change the oil soon...we just need it to start.

·
He gon' get it!
2,799 Posts
Ahmadi6490 said:
Ok, today we battery jump started it and the electrical system on it started working. After like 5 mins we tryed to start it up and all it did was shut off. Do you think it's doesn't have enough batteyr power? Also it's out of gas...but I think it would at least choke....because it didnt even choke. The air filter needs replacing and the spark plugs are pretty dirty, also we'll change the oil soon...we just need it to start.

Batteries dead and alternators busted. Your battery is dead, and it is understandable that it would work off a jump. When you rely on it to operate alone without being recharged by the alternator though, it just goes completely flat. 300$ fix there, or if you wanna do it yourself, like 150$

Also, CHANGE THE FUEL FILTER. If its dirty and hasnt been changed (which im guessing is not because most people neglect to do that) and you change it, you will notice a very noticeable increase in gas mileage.

P.S. What kind of buick is it?

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a Sabre I think, really, thanks guys. This weekend we'll buy a new battery and replace the fluids, then we'll change filters. Keep the advice coming ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts