Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock class phantom with a 12 gram grip. If I unscrew the puncture pin section of the grip will there be a veticle asa for 4oz tanks? also if there is, is it true I can not run a tank larger than a 4oz without a reg? What all do I need to do, to run a larger tank.

·
Registered
263 Posts
yea you just stick a big allen wrench in there and take it off and there is a asa...you can run a larger tank w/o a reg....but i wouldnt run it vert just for the fear of slamin into a bunker and ripping off your tank and trigger guard...if i was you i would run a bottom line...just a asa under the grip a reg or a gas though grip...the reg wont really be used...i got a reg on mine cuz i had one layin around and am 2 poor to buy a gas thru right now...i cant tell a diffrence if im usin a reg or not..

·
Registered
32 Posts
The hex size is 3/8" Yes, the puncture pin assemply just screws right out. It may be a little stiff - in the future toss a drop of oil on there and your o-ring will last longer if you change from 12-gr. to CA frequently.

Size of the tank has no relation to the output pressure since you're dealing with a saturated vapor. You could run a 40 lb. CO2 tank if you were willing to carry it... No regulator needed, though you will get *slightly* better shot consistency with one, depending upon what regulator you use. Another thing you can do is to use the regulator to fine-tune your velocity to put it right up to the limit if you really want to do that.

As to balance, you'll appreciate a smaller tank just because of weight alone. No sense putting a 2-lb. tank on a marker that weighs less than 1.5 lbs, right? Plus, keep in mind that the money you'd spend on a bottom line or a regulator could easily be put to a 3.5 or 4 oz. tank (look to spend $25 on a tank vs. almost $100 for a good reg/BL setup). As for number of shots, is 300-400 plenty for you? If so, don't worry about getting more than a 4 oz. because you won't need it.

People use the 4 oz. tanks because they cost $25, screw directly into the ASA, have about perfect balance, get plenty of shots and, most importantly, save you money on 12-grams. One $2 fill of a 4 oz. contains roughly the same amount of CO2 that 9.5 12-grams contain. Or about $4.75 if you buy them at 50 cents apiece. Just think that you'll be saving $2.75 every time you use it. How about fields that have free air? If you play at one of those, you could pay for your 4 oz. tank in savings just by playing 4 or 5 times.

Smaller CO2 CA tanks are ideal on phantoms (other pumps, too) because they're small, light, balance the marker well and save you LOTS of $$$ on 12-gram bills. Just buy yourself a 3.5 or 4 oz. and don't worry about it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts