Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
I just finished Helter Skelter, which outlines the Charles Manson murders and prosecution. Very interesting stuff, at least from a criminologist's perspective. What's A Scientific Romance about?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Back cover doesn't make it seem all that interesting? You sure?
Yeah, you're probably right; reading the back cover usually trumps having read the book. :p

It's the story of a self-destructive love triangle strewn over the course of five hundred years.

Superficially, the plot is:
An expert on H.G. Wells receives a post dated letter from an author claiming to be Wells. The letter explains that a student of Telsa, whom Wells consulted while writting The Time Machine, had in fact successfully constructed a time machine. Through a course of events the protagonist falls into possession of the time machine. He uses it to travel five hundred years into the future in search of a cure for a disease he has contracted only to find that future London has become ruins amongst jungle.

·
Let's hug it out
4,506 Posts
that reminds me somewhat of the movie the time machine...well very slightly. His fiance dies, builds a time machine to try to change her fate, she dies no matter the situation, instead he goes into the future where london becomes a jungle like mess and humans are enslaved by other beings.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that reminds me somewhat of the movie the time machine...well very slightly. His fiance dies, builds a time machine to try to change her fate, she dies no matter the situation, instead he goes into the future where london becomes a jungle like mess and humans are enslaved by other beings.
That movie is based off H.G. Wells novel The Time Machine and this book is not only named after the genre Wells pretty much defined but also has Wells playing a significant role in it's plot, so yeah, there's similarities.

The similarity also plays into a potential psychological twist.

I'm presenting a seminar on this book next week, so I've been diggin a lot through it.

·
shine on.
10,745 Posts
Yeah, you're probably right; reading the back cover usually trumps having read the book. :p
Well, no but you didn't elaborate very well. :)

It's the story of a self-destructive love triangle strewn over the course of five hundred years.

Superficially, the plot is:
An expert on H.G. Wells receives a post dated letter from an author claiming to be Wells. The letter explains that a student of Telsa, whom Wells consulted while writting The Time Machine, had in fact successfully constructed a time machine. Through a course of events the protagonist falls into possession of the time machine. He uses it to travel five hundred years into the future in search of a cure for a disease he has contracted only to find that future London has become ruins amongst jungle.
Thanks, sounds pretty interesting.

·
Shine on Rick Wright
3,235 Posts
Book thread? I can't read fiction. Yeah yeah, I don't want your sympathy. I'd rather sit on a toilet and read the manual to an appliance than read a novel. Just the way I am, I guess.

So who here has read "Pink Floyd and Philosophy"? Now that's a book I can get into. And I recommend it to any floyd fan, or someone who enjoys philosophy in general. (Edited by George Reisch)

·
Registered
6,356 Posts
I'm currently reading:
Stranger In A Strange Land by Heinlein
The Making of A Tropical Disease (book on malaria)
A Very Short Introduction to HIV/AIDS

I need to start reading Infections and Inequalities by Paul Farmer too...

·
Shine on Rick Wright
3,235 Posts
Just curious. How very short is this very short introduction to HIV/AIDS?

·
Registered
6,356 Posts

·
Shine on Rick Wright
3,235 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts