Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is silly, but oh well:

I speed way too much, and I really don't feel like getting a ticket; I'm actually rather shocked I haven't already been ticketed for speeding. It's only really on the high way. If I'm not going 80 or above I feel like I'm going too slow.

Do you guys have ideas to stop this addiction to speeding?

·
I was saving that bacon
7,177 Posts
Tickets wont really help.

Wrap your car around a tree/telephone poll so the fire/rescue squad has to extract you from your car, have a few surgeries to save your life, and stay in a partial comma for a few days.

And honestly, that doest even keep some people from speeding.

Its really just a mental thing, you need to really think about it, and eventually you will realize its stupid and pretty pointless to speed when your casually driving from A to B. It wastes gas, you risk a ticket, risk of wrecking, etc...

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Drive slower and give yourself more time. If your not in a hurry you wont speed as much. It's not really that difficult a concept to grasp. If all else fails, try having regard for yourself and your passengers if you were ever to lose control of the car.

·
Screaming Koala
4,685 Posts
DarkTamer said:
I know nothing about cars; what is that? Since I'm guessing you're trying to be clever, something to do with the brakes?
I didn't get it either.

The image was called JOL so I eventually guessed its a model of the jaws of life.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yeah I really need to slow down. I have had my license for about 8 months and if I get any ticket my parents will take my license for 6 months. . . I typically go 15-20 mph over, though it has gotton better since I lifted my 4Runner. It is scary to go fast now. . .

·
I was saving that bacon
7,177 Posts
If you need the JOL you may need this also, and trust me, you dont want to be in the position to need this.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
Speeding is fun and yes it's addicting.

I vote get a radar detector and try not to speed as much but if you do, atleast you'll help save yourself from a ticket.

Everyone speeds here though. I'll be going 10 over and people will be flashing their brights at me to speed or or they will pass me.. its kind of ridicolous. Also I got a warning for a 59 in a 40. Speeding isn't a big deal around here it seems..

·
Registered
347 Posts
to keep myself from speeding i always put on the cruse control, or just drive behind someone slow for a while, get pissed, then pass them. after that i feel like i am flying at 70.

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
i've found that how i start off dictates how much i'll be speeding.

If i take off slow to moderately i'll do maybe 10mph over. Taking off fast and with wheels screaching means i'll be doing 20+mph over.

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've been caught by those cops that just sit on the side of the road with radar guns going 80 in a 55 zone, they apparently didn't care.

imprez55 said:
to keep myself from speeding i always put on the cruse control, or just drive behind someone slow for a while, get pissed, then pass them. after that i feel like i am flying at 70.
That's a really good idea, thanks.

1337 said:
Speeding is fun and yes it's addicting.

I vote get a radar detector and try not to speed as much but if you do, atleast you'll help save yourself from a ticket.
I've been thinking about a radar detector. But, number one, that would kind of give away that I speed to my parents and they wouldn't be too happy, and two, if I do happen to get pulled over with a radar detector, I think the cop would be a lot less lenient when he sees the detector... no?
Any suggestions for a good radar detector?

·
Registered
599 Posts
I'm going to tell you this straight. The ONLY cure for speeding is maturity. Once you get to a point in your life, you realize that speeding isn't worth it. I have reached that point the hard way. I have gotten 2 speeding tickets. The first one was just like a "whatever" to me. I didn't care all that much. I slowed down for about a week or two, and slowly creeped back into my habit of speeding. I got another ticket 2 months later.

When I got my 2nd ticket (from the SAME cop as the 1st) I was scared ****less. I JUST got my Grand Prix and didn't want my parents to take it away (paperwork wasn't even finished on it). I also found out that I was probably gonna lose my liscense for 6 months, lose my job, AND have to file for similar insurance to that of people with DUIs. I was a wreck for 2 days. Nothing has happened, and I don't think anything will. My insurance is gonna spike like a mofo in December when they reevaluate it, but I'm prepared to accept what happens.

Even today (1 month after the 2nd ticket), I do my best not to speed. If I do speed it is rarely more than 5 over. I still get nervous when I see cops. I have learned my lesson. I've found that I can enjoy my car without the "need for speed". If I want to go fast, I'll go to the dragstrip and run it a few times. If I want the feeling of speed, I'll just downshift the car (automatic) and let it sit in 3rd for a while. If I take a long trip, I'll use cruise control.

Don't let yourself find out the hard way that speeding isn't worth it. Take it from me. Force yourself to slow down even if you want to push the car to it's limits. Fight it. You'll thank yourself someday. Good luck.

PS: for the douchebags who will critque me for my actions: shut the **** up.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts