1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A5 + HPA having some issues.

Symptoms:

Ball breaks every 5 rounds.
Chrono will not go over 200 even with screw turned almost all the way out. Is this normal?

The day:
Pretty darn cold. I didn't have the thermometer but it was probably around 40 degrees when we started playing.

The Paint:
Draxxus Field Grade. Kinda crappy, but almost everyone was using it without as many problems as me. I ended up using having to use a rental 98 with only one ball break the rest of the day.

The Gun
A5. Aluminum powertube and bolt. Polished internals. 2 stage expansion chamber/grip. E-trigger set on #9 Turbo. Also tried single fire with same problems. Tried two barrels, a Lapco Bigshot and Freak barrel (using the largest .693? Black insert) all with the same results. HPA tank was borrowed from friend and i didnt look at the size, only verified it was full.

Since the problems at the field that day, I returned the factory bolt to original and plugged in a Co2 tank for testing last night. I fired about 500 rds with e trig set at turbo. Fired as fast as I could. Used both barrels again only this time I used the blue freak insert .683 i believe. only had one ball break. This is way more acceptable than before. I only wish i had a chrono to see where she was at with the co2.

So what gives?

Warmer paint/warmer weather - the only reason I dont factor this is because almost all the other guns ran fine.
Co2 instead of air - I heard co2 will expand giving higher pressures/velocity. Sound right?
The bolt - more testing necessary.

Any thoughts on what I may be missing here?

·
mil-simer
1,102 Posts
You can buy some squishy paddles, they are softer than stock ones, but like Azn said, it will still be somewhat tough.

·
Banned
14,001 Posts
problem is the paint and the temperature, i was under the same exact scenario 2 weeks ago, with the same paint even. my cocker was shredding paint and that is not normal for it, we were having barrel breaks all day long. use different paint if you are going to be playing in those temperatures

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think it has something to do with your expansion chamber.

I had the same problem. I have 2 guns an ION and a 98. I have an expansion chamber on my 98. I decided one day I would hook my 68/4500 up to my 98. I shot a couple shots and it would have no power. I had a aftermarket bolt in it as well. But I would not think that would do anything. I don't know if the expansion chamber causes a pressure drop or what when using HPA. I then used CO2 and no problem.

What you would try doing is unscrewing the expansion tube, then just screw the tank into the bottom and try it. I know it would look dumb but then you know if it is your internals or your expansion tube.

EDIT: 40 degrees is not that cold either. That is a little cool but I have shot consistent with my ION and tippman in colder than that. The only thing with the CO2 in the cold is you have to have it inside your jacket next to your body to keep the temp warm. HPA don't matter.

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
I think it has something to do with your expansion chamber.

I had the same problem. I have 2 guns an ION and a 98. I have an expansion chamber on my 98. I decided one day I would hook my 68/4500 up to my 98. I shot a couple shots and it would have no power. I had a aftermarket bolt in it as well. But I would not think that would do anything. I don't know if the expansion chamber causes a pressure drop or what when using HPA. I then used CO2 and no problem.

What you would try doing is unscrewing the expansion tube, then just screw the tank into the bottom and try it. I know it would look dumb but then you know if it is your internals or your expansion tube.

EDIT: 40 degrees is not that cold either. That is a little cool but I have shot consistent with my ION and tippman in colder than that. The only thing with the CO2 in the cold is you have to have it inside your jacket next to your body to keep the temp warm. HPA don't matter.
except the title is "A-5 + HPA

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ya but they are the same style of gun.

And it says in his description that he has an expansion chamber. Which this is supposed to let the CO2 expand into a gas to make your CO2 gun more efficient. And I am not positive on this but this is my thoughts that since I have had the same thing on my gun that it has to do with the expansion chamber. Or else it could be a tank that doesn't have a high enough PSI regulator on it. Tippmanns need lots of air and that would explain the cyclone problems.

It has to be an air demand problem because he has the velocity screw all the way out. So it has to either be a tank without a high enough pressure regulator on it to meet the demands of the gun or else something to do with the expansion chamber or air entering. Because his gun shoots it just doesn't have power and sounds like the cyclone doesn't have enough air to operate. I am not sure on if the cyclone is a separate air supply not familiar but if it is attached to the air from the bolt assembly then it has to be a tank or something regulator wise such as the expansion tube. But if the cyclone is separate to me it would be an air pressure problem with a high enough reg on the tank.

Sorry for the rambling.

But basically if cyclone is run off air from bolt assembly I would say to go with the expansion chamber thing. If not then I would say that the regulator on the tank is not high enough PSI thus causing the gun to chop and have no power.

·
Banned
14,001 Posts
its not that warm either, i have shot consistant plenty of times with a dm6, superstock and mini under these conditions but those are not a A5 now are they? also wasnt shooting this crappy ass paint they had

expansion chamber has nothing to do with it, its basically an empty tube to allow the co2 room to boil, but if its full or liquid co2 or air the marker doesnt know and doesnt care, it is not a regulator and can not change the amount of pressure coming into the marker

output pressure could cause this as it is often easy to get a hpa tank that has a slightly lower output pressure than co2

there are also a number of other things that could as well such as a main spring that is too soft, hammer o-ring wearing out etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well,

Contacted Tippmann and they sent out a new updated valve with the extra air passages for no charge.
Looking forward to giving this a try with some better quality paint. Hard to say if it was the hopper or the bolt breaking the paint. There was more paint in the chamber than in the hopper but my next fix, if I need one, is squishy paddles. I'll keep you updated.

Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
However likely that may be, it is not absolute.
I would deff not be using that paint again if I can help it.
Cant wait to see if the FPS problem has gone away, otherwise I guess it's bye bye HPA.

·
Banned
14,001 Posts
However likely that may be, it is not absolute.
yes it is, the paint is crap. last weekend i grabbed some of that paint i had left over from inside (55-60 degrees) went outside and test fired it through the marker (28 outside) no problems because the paint was warmer

1 - 15 of 15 Posts