Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
12,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some uber 1337 spyware that won't go away. I get popups even when I'm searching PBF. I have the google searchbar and am running spybot SD, and am going to run adaware. Does Symantec make anythign for spyware yet?

Is there somethign that I can run in the background that will PREVENT spyware from goig into my registry? I dont like having to scan all the time.

EDIT: I just got a stupid popup. It was a virus softare thing.. And it was like "Searchign for virus... None. Spyware search... None. Checking CD drive integrity.. Attempting to open CD tray... Successful. I was looking a my cd tray and it didn't move at all.. wtf?

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
First of all.
1. Get a firewall
2. Get popup block
3. Get some heavy duty shiznite like microsoft blocker
4. Chill out and relax.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
5. Make Ramen Noodles
6. Eat without a fork
7. I get those sometimes, and I might try the same

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
Lots of the new spyware is "sticky." You can't get rid of it...easily.

My friend has spyware on his computer, we found where it resides...the windows folder. Well, problem is, we can't delete it. It changes the homepage and has a bajillion popups. We boot in safemode, delete it, and it COMES BACK!! WTF?! It's so hard to kill...you can't do anything about it. Just wait for all of the new updates for AdAware and S&D to come out, they're bound to come sooner or later.

Also, try the software "HiJack This" It's just like Adaware/S&D but it catches things even those 2 miss.

·
Registered
716 Posts
That's a browser hijacker. Likely CoolWebSearch. I had that and I could NOT get rid of it. Tried a dozen different programs. What did I do to get rid of it?

Formatted hard drive and started over.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Try a system restore. Those sometimes work.

·
Registered
728 Posts
yep I say redo the HD then follow the above dirrections if its that bad, every 3 months or so I have to save my ummm legal music, I've accumulated and all my files and business plans and restore. Its really not that bad if you use gaim and just manage everything.

·
Banged
5,579 Posts
norton anti virus doesnt do a very good job. last week, i thought i had to take my comp into the shop it was so bad, honestly, i would get about 15 pop ups a min, and i couldnt just click them away, i needed to ctr alt dlt those *****es.

well, y good friend bunkertime told me to head over to download.com and check out spybot

i ran it one and my computer ran 100x better

i still get a pop up eery now and then, but all i gota do ic exit them now, they dont freeze my comp

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I think you have to disable system restore, then delete them. My A+ teacher was talking about how some viruses abuse that and thats how they come back after you delete them. Or something like that....

·
Registered
728 Posts
pretty much have to get into the registry and root em out one by one and the stupid numbering and naming is meant to confuse you and make you think its a regular reg file

·
Registered
792 Posts
I have ad-aware and spybot that I use about once a week and I use mozilla as my browser and my firewall is something called Panda Titanium Antivirus. I have not got a pop-up in months (knock on wood). But I really dont know that much about spyware sound I really cant help you much.

·
Registered
898 Posts
ja289 said:
is there a way to re-format your hardrive, but just save your music folder or something? i really want to do it, but i have over 1000 songs and i dont wanna delete them :(
Put it on a disc

·
12,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for your concern. I'm not computer idiotic. I ran spybot and adaware and deleted some things from my registry that I knew shouldn't be there. Did it manually. I had like 6 hijack attempts. Zapped em all.

How do they make money off spyware? Seriously, WHO clicks on those links? Its like they waste all that money programming them into the internet, when they would have a better chance getting you to buy their stuff by sending a hobo with a sign into the freeway for $10.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts