Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Into the whole Yale thing
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about selling my M3 and buying a higher mileage one for cheap and then using the rest, plus other funds, to install a custom turbo kit (~~450whp goal). However, I was thinking that perhaps switching my allegiance to JDM may be wise considering I am not made of money. I don't mind the looks of the cars, such as the Nissan 240sx, 300sx, Silvia, Skyline, Toyota Supra, etc. But I'm afraid I really don't know much about these cars. I would either buy one and redo most of it and turbo one, or buy an already turboed one and do cosmetic changes.

Just looking for some advice regarding money needed for buying a very nice JDM car or doing one up myself and more information on these cars in general.

Thanks thumup:

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
If you're looking for cheap power, you don't want a 300ZX (Z, not S by the way), Skyline, or Supra. They crammed a LOT of technology in a small space to make the power that they do, and repairs are not cheap. Parts alone are a ton, and if you're not doing the work yourself, you can expect to pay a lot more.

-Jin

·
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The point wasn't cheap power, I can make a turbo kit for my car for under 4k. The upkeep on my M3 is much greater than a Nissan 300ZX (the s was a typo, hit it by accident and didn't proofread), I would guess. All my friends who have JDM cars parts are always much cheaper than my equivalent counterparts. Not looking for a bargain bin.

I was looking to spend about $8k on my turbo kit (Sans TecIII may go for 11k+ for the TecIII route) which is good for 450whp easily on a conservative tune. I can do most all work myself, too, and the work that I can't do I have friends who can.

For example, on ebay there is a ~700hp Nissan 240SX with a 2JZGTE engine swap for 24,000. A similar build on an M3 would cost A LOT more. Not cheap power, more like cheaper, I s'pose. However, I'll always pay extra for quality and reliability, thus my inquisition on JDM cars as M3s are very high in both aforementioned categories.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Why not Keep ur m3 as a daily driver and do this:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gPuhA2taax4&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gPuhA2taax4&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Lol, ls1 miata purty bad ass.

but seriously, you may find cheap power easily, but instant gratification may wind up worse than actually building the motor up first.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
We need more information. IMO sell the M3, buy a nice daily driver then get a project car. You don't want your project car being your daily driver...

·
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ive got a very rusty beater truck that has a sound engine and transmission as a daily driver. I'm looking more towards the Nissan 240SX and Skyline. I like the looks of the RX-7, but they are a bit more expensive...so I'd have less money to put into it.

I'm considering buying one already modded under the hood just to save money. Meh, I wanted to do it myself but it would cost a lot more...

·
<3 I love fat chicks <3
5,188 Posts
Ive got a very rusty beater truck that has a sound engine and transmission as a daily driver. I'm looking more towards the Nissan 240SX and Skyline. I like the looks of the RX-7, but they are a bit more expensive...so I'd have less money to put into it.

I'm considering buying one already modded under the hood just to save money. Meh, I wanted to do it myself but it would cost a lot more...
With a TT Rx-7, you wouldn't need to do anything under the hood.

·
Registered
904 Posts

So let me get this straight....

Ur going to drive a piece of **** lookin truck around, sell ur nice bmw m3 that u just supercharged, and buy a car that these men:

souped up all because ur too ****ing lazy actually buy a car and get ur own knuckles busted, hands greasy, and spend blood, sweat, tears AND money on it and actually learn about it???

I'm not trying to be a dick, but u have all these fast and the furious/need for speed fantasys about what kind of car ur going to build.

Damn, instant gratification ftl...

Jin's car is SEXY, AND I MEAN DEAD SEXY..
http://www.paintballforum.com/automobiles/149619-official-twin-turbo-swap-thread-7.html

He spent a lot of time on that car, and we at pbf have watched update after update after update on that car, waiting to see the final product. He's still not done with it, and everytime he updates us we get all hyped up.

Basically, buy you a car that needs work, and build it up, stop trying to do it in weeks/months and think longterm. In the end you will be MUCH more happier than if you bought somebody else's work.

You could buy a fully souped up skyline showcar, and jin could sit his little 300zx right beside ur's, and win or lose, I would stand behind Jin's car.

Not trying to be mean buddah, but just slow down with this whole performance thing. Hell, my audio system took a long time to do, and I'm really happy with it. let ur engine be no different. Take as much time as u need. Guys who go out and do car shows, they spend a lot of time and money working on their vehicles, many people spend a few years working on a car just to get it to where they're happy with it. Do the samething on this project ur considering, whether it's an eclipse or ur m3.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts

·
Let's hug it out
4,506 Posts
With a TT Rx-7, you wouldn't need to do anything under the hood.
unless you plan to race in a straight line. The Rx-7 is better when it comes to club racing or racing on a track because when you race with a Wankel Rotary you have to drive the thing like you hate it or else you won't get it to go. Speed sucks at low RPM's but keeping it in the Red Line is a whole nother story.

Which is probably why if you planned on racing a drag strip then you might want to get rid of the turbo's and supercharge instead so you don't get the lag. As long as you can get through the first few RPM's pretty quickly you'll be set

·
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BTW meatwad I totally sympathize with your point and agree with it, on some points, but its not a question of laziness or worrying about getting my hands dirty or messing up. It's a question of money, and the truth is that even if I can do EVERYTHING to my car, as in all I would have to do is buy parts, it is still more expensive than to buy one already done-up under the hood.

And since I don't know how to weld, I would need to buy a welder and learn to weld by trial and error, and that is a lot of extra money too. I would enjoy knowing how to weld, but sometimes doing things the way one wants isn't in the cards.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
[/B]

So let me get this straight....

Ur going to drive a piece of **** lookin truck around, sell ur nice bmw m3 that u just supercharged, and buy a car that these men:

souped up all because ur too ****ing lazy actually buy a car and get ur own knuckles busted, hands greasy, and spend blood, sweat, tears AND money on it and actually learn about it???

I'm not trying to be a dick, but u have all these fast and the furious/need for speed fantasys about what kind of car ur going to build.

Damn, instant gratification ftl...

Jin's car is SEXY, AND I MEAN DEAD SEXY..
http://www.paintballforum.com/automobiles/149619-official-twin-turbo-swap-thread-7.html

He spent a lot of time on that car, and we at pbf have watched update after update after update on that car, waiting to see the final product. He's still not done with it, and everytime he updates us we get all hyped up.

Basically, buy you a car that needs work, and build it up, stop trying to do it in weeks/months and think longterm. In the end you will be MUCH more happier than if you bought somebody else's work.

You could buy a fully souped up skyline showcar, and jin could sit his little 300zx right beside ur's, and win or lose, I would stand behind Jin's car.

Not trying to be mean buddah, but just slow down with this whole performance thing. Hell, my audio system took a long time to do, and I'm really happy with it. let ur engine be no different. Take as much time as u need. Guys who go out and do car shows, they spend a lot of time and money working on their vehicles, many people spend a few years working on a car just to get it to where they're happy with it. Do the samething on this project ur considering, whether it's an eclipse or ur m3.
Dude, how about you just shut the hell up and come back when you actually start building a car or work on it all the time? I can fully understand his point.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts