Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found a lot today with 7 or 8 cars in ym price range. I test drove the ones I was interested in and I'm wondering what you guys think of them

01 Mistibiti Mirage 91,000 miles $4000( not so great interior. They said they're selling it for less because they couldn't find any place to replace it. Also, it's got a wimpy engine and virurally no pickup)
02 Cevrolet Cavy 99,000 miles $4000(note: timing belt was not right, they said they're fixing it today after I complained about it. is that a bad sign? there was also a tiny bit of rust on the inside of both doors)
01 dodge Neon 60,000(ish) miles $4000 (3 speed transmission,6 speakers)

cars I have yet to look at:
95 eagle talon ??? miles- $3200
00 Mistibiti Mirage ??? miles- $3850 obo (sports package i think, better pickup thant he 2001 i'm looking at)
95 Honda civic 92,000 miles- $3100 (body sound like it's got some scratches...but it's 5 speed:))

There was also a 99 mecury with 46,000 miles for $5,000. It's very very tempting, but it's a midsize car and I really don't want one. they also have a chevy malibu that had engine trouble. they said they woudn't be ablt to look at it for another 2 weeks...and I need a car now.:(

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
I would go with the mercury. Its got half the miles for only $1,000 more, and it's a larger (probably safer) car.

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
i know. It's really really really tempting. But it's 6 cylinder and right now, gas/miles=king. (I deliver pizza)
It might be worth it though. With half the miles of the other cars chances are it will be more reliable. One repair on the higher mileage car could offset any additional money you spend on gas (and then some).

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
It might be worth it though. With half the miles of the other cars chances are it will be more reliable. One repair on the higher mileage car could offset any additional money you spend on gas (and then some).
Dude that Honda would last forever and parts would still be pretty cheap.

I'd get the Civic.

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dude that Honda would last forever and parts would still be pretty cheap.

I'd get the Civic.
I drove a civic and it drove worse than my lawnmower. I'll have to test it first after that terrible, horrible experience.

what about a 97-02 body style grand prix? Nice, roomy car that also gets good gas mileage
I hear they have lots of problems. And all I can find are v6. I'm looking for a 4-banger.

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Checked out the 95 honda last night. the owner wasn't home so i didn't get to drive it thouhg. I'm gonna do that today.

It's got hail damage, and the front plastic bumper is loose on both sides. A corner is dented and was painted over, and it needs new rotors. Only 92,40 miles. Moonroof, Ac, cruize, ABS..the whole nine yards; the interior was in good shape:)
I bet with all that I can talk him down to $2900 from $3200. I could care less what the outside looks like so long as it's not rusted...but i'm not gonna let him know that.

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Sounds pretty solid. Only 95k miles on a 12 year old Honda?

Buy that **** asap.
yeah I hear you. I just wanna see if I can talk him down a bit first due tot eh excessive body damage.
oh and is there any way I can re-attatch the front plastic bumper? It's on, but both both clips on the very end are not attatched to anything.
I'm thinking $100 for brakes and rotors, is that about right? are parts hard to find for these cars?

edit: so youre' saying that a 12 yar old honda is going to be better than a 5 year old chevy or mistibiti mirage with the same miles for only $1,000 more?

·
teh car guy
1,292 Posts
ummm, honda reliability is second to none. I had a 91 prelude that had almost 160k when I sold it. Ran like a top, and that was with me running it pretty hard.

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you take it to a shop, 100 sounds right.. But you can do it yourself for cheaper. Or have a friend do it, like I did.
great. I'd do it myself, but i have no jack or the right tools. All the tools I have are either extras my dad gave me or paintball related tools. It's not hard because i've done it twice before. So I have this random assortment of weird tools. haha.

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I bought the honda for $3,000. I couldn't possibly turn it down after driving it and realizing how smooth the ride was and that the clutch was in good shape. for a 95 car, I couldn't believe it. I hit 70 mpg and didn't even feel a thing different from driving 40 mph! I think I can also fix the front bumper with a little bit of time and some new screws.

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
when and if I post pics(my parents came and i gave them their camera back) you'll see why. it's got some decent hail damage, a dent in the right fender, and it's been sideswiped ont eh drivers side. All of these were covered with spraypaint that doesnt' quite matcht eh cars orgional nasty teal paint.

but I could care less, This is exactly th e car I was looking for and exactly the price I wanted it at. I actually can't believe the car existed.

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm wondering about the timing belt. the guy said as far as he knows, it's the ogional one. Iv'e read they should be changed every 60,000 miles. how true is that? the last thing I want is a timing belt to go bad on me.

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
I would change it, or at least check it for cracks and wear. If that breaks you've basically bought yourself a rolling brick.:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts