1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Administrator
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NO PRANK / Avanters (The REAL Story) <-- READ

________

A Prank? NO!!! =(

First off this was never a prank. This was a real hacker who deleted all parts of the forum except the lounge. I kid you not, this is the truth.

So lets get it straight for everyone.... this was NOT NOT NOT a prank. It was a real hacking attempt and I will swear to you on the Holy Bible that this is true.
_________

Avanters? and the new Security Moderator group?

Avanters, aka Brandon, is the guy who helped restore the forums to where they are at now. Now that everything is running smoothly once again, he will assume the role of PBF Security, who will be called on in times of need when the forum has security / hacker related issues. I, and everyone esle, should thank him for his help in getting the forum back without loosing any member data! Brandon is the guy responsible for saving this forum, and thus deserves to have the new security moderator position on the forum.

When we are not "code red" so to speak, Avanters will remain as a special user known as the "Security Moderator". Along with this, he can NOlonger ban, delete threads, lock threads, etc. ONLY when needed for emergency security issues will Security Moderators be given administrator privledges. He will however be able to view all aspects of the board, IP addresses, etc. etc. If he notices any suspicious activity he will report it to an admin immediately to be dealt with. In the future, additional security moderators will be most likely named to help him.

Mark aka Cobra

* If you have any questions or comments about this new policy, please leave a message in this thread an I will answer it as best I can. ANY and ALL comments will be considered. Permission to speak freely on ANY related topic is granted in this thread as I need to know exactly what you guys are thinking.

·
Administrator
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On a side note. I know that the quick reply box needs to be fixed. I'm working on that. Should be back up soon.

Also... I would really like to see everyone getting back into the rest of the forum and resuming our normal paintball conversation. Lets get those forums moving again!

·
Banged
5,579 Posts
yes, this is what the forum wants, we thank him for helping the forum in our time of need, but he really doesnt know how to deal with the people of the forum. calling him a security administrator is and him having no power to ban or anything is what the forum wants. that is, as long as he doesnt try to lord over everyone sticking out his chest trying to think hes better than anyone

·
PbF Administrator
3,361 Posts
Good calls Mark. And yes everyone should be thankful for Avanters. He saved the day. Thanks man!

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
I'm still not pleased with how cocky this kid is. He thinks he's the Jesus of this forum, but I'm sorry, someone else could have done it. Am I thankful he got the forums up and runninG? You bet. Am I still pissed that he exerted his power and rubbed it in all of our faces that he saved the forums? Yes. And I'm still wondering about the forums being back to normal. You have backups of all the files, correct? Why not just roll the forum back to what it was before?

edit - this is in no way intended to say i'm not thankful either, I'm just still aggravated about the cockiness and such. also, I'm using the free speech I was guaranteed at the start of this thread ;)

·
Your Worst Nightmare
5,270 Posts
Thanks Mark, that's what most of us were all PO'd about. Not that he was helping out, just that he was abusing his powers and we were afraid he'd be allowed to keep those powers. Now that it isn't the case, I'd like to apologize for my behavior before, and as long as he doesn't get all cocky again, i'll try to keep the hate groups under control ;)

- Brian

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
See, Cobra actually helps the forum.
Thanks Cobra.

Cobra, is there anyway you can make it so avanters can't post, or talk to anyone, let alone give warnings/bannings? Can you make it so all he does is take care of technical things?

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
fainTB said:
See, Cobra actually helps the forum.
Thanks Cobra.

Cobra, is there anyway you can make it so avanters can't post, or talk to anyone, let alone give warnings/bannings? Can you make it so all he does is take care of technical things?
ehhh u might want to get that out of your sig :). Just a suggestion lol.

Anyway Im glad people are starting to be cool with this. Things will be awsome on the forums yet again.

Also did you read the opening post at all? During emergency situations he will be given admin powers. But in normal times he is just as powerfull as you or me. He still will have the tital of PBF security mod but thats it.

·
Bang Bang Bang
1,615 Posts
cobra im still a bit confused. i believe you did make system backups. i believe there was one made a week or so ago when i tried to get on and couldent. why cant u just upload the backup so we have all our threads again? just a q.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
I read in another thread dooms said that there was another forum problem and he couldn't upload it or something.

He was a real help, but he wasn't finished yet. We were still adding stickys and such.

:(

·
Banned
3,571 Posts
Why did you trust Avanters so much?

1 - 20 of 79 Posts