Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets look here...

Hydrogen seems to jump into everyone's mind, and people say we could make enough from water and perfect the car.....what do you think?

any other information on fuels? post here.

Bottomline here, i hate oil, and i'm going to do something about, so i'm collecting information....

·
Let's hug it out
4,506 Posts
i once had that thought in my mind too...The closest i got was making a water powered car, using water pressure to push water wheels inside the wheel. That way you water would be reusable and water would cycle over and over inside the car....the problem with that idea is the need of high pressure water and a light car.

·
i play for keeps
7,001 Posts
for electricity and such, underwater turbines would kick ass.

Making use of currents and tides would make a ridiculous amount of energy. Its totally clean too. Yea it takes up room underwater(out of sight, nothing ugly to look at) and kills maybe a tiny bit of water life, but come on, lets be reasonable.

Environmentalists and oil barons wont let it happen though.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
won't let it happen because they can bribe people with their money. All you have to do is resist 200 million dollars....

and your idea is worth billions

what about hydrogen and bio fuels? Some say they won't work...

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
Hydrogen will work eventualyl. but peopel ask "where will the electricity come to split the water mollecule?" that's easy. nuclear energy. it's cheap, clean and eficent. one day we'll solve the problem of nuclear energy and will begin building new plants and then we'll run OPEC out of business adn everyone will be happy.

·
Registered
411 Posts
In the D.c area GM is testing a fleet of hybrid cars. The technology has been around for around 30 years. No one has done done anything because they always get paid to shut up by the oil comppany.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oil companies won't last, prices=too high.

·
12,110 Posts
Supern00bs' got it.

Hydrogen cars would work more then nicely. I was reading an issue of popular science and they were trying to say that a tank to store hydrogen would have to be as big as the car it powers beucase its 500PSI of pressure.

We as paintballers run around with 4500PSI adn 5000PSI tanks holding a pretty big amount of air for such a small canister. Why not store it in higher pressures, with a composite tank. That way an 80 cubic foot tank in the trunk would have enough fueld for like 500 miles.

·
Registered
411 Posts
/\I love pop science/\

If you dont know what the whole fuel cell thing is then listen up. Ill describe this process to the best of my knowlege.

These pic is probably just gonna confuse u.

1. The hydrogen enters the fuel cell.
2. The Hydrogen then goes threw a membrane in the fuel cell were ithe hydrogen moleculse loose there electrons.
3. The electrons (wich are like elecrctricity) then go to power the car.
4. Then after the hydrogen passes threw the membrane it meets up with oxygen were it becomes water.
5. The waste is put into the air as water.

If you know more about the subject or if i am just totally wrong post about it.

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
i've read that the problem is perfecting the fuel cell for hydrogen. Also they still need processing plants to make the fuel, and places to diistribute to consumers. All small things really. I'd really like the gov. to step in and say, have this done in 7 years.

one day we'll solve the problem of nuclear energy
people need to stop thinking nuclear is unsafe. We have this process down. It just took 2 plant failures to scare us away from such a great source of energy. It's non-polluting also (if u don't count the radioactive spent fuel cells).

·
Banned
426 Posts
dhill0413 said:
for electricity and such, underwater turbines would kick ass.

Making use of currents and tides would make a ridiculous amount of energy. Its totally clean too. Yea it takes up room underwater(out of sight, nothing ugly to look at) and kills maybe a tiny bit of water life, but come on, lets be reasonable.

Environmentalists and oil barons wont let it happen though.
Give me your address, im sending you a certificate.

Seriously.

·
0ld Sk00l
3,773 Posts
the only problem w/ nuclear energy is the waste dude. There would be sooo much and no where to put it eventually..

And there are ways to drive cars off all kinds of things. I think once battery power becomes good enough and we perfect the whole hydrongen idea and make it a little safer, Then i believe we will have hydrogen/electric cars everywhere. Especially as the technology becomes cheap. Everything takes time.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Mercedes has a hydrogen powered car in the works, they are just working on fuel cell reliability right now but the prototype is fully functional and can get up to 90+ MPH. BMW has their H2R which doesn't use fuel cells but rather a 6 liter 12 cylinder engine capable of exceeding 185 MPH. And you can sure bet that GM won't be left out of this, I won't be suprised if we start seeing some of these cars on the streets in the next 5 years.

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
128shot said:
oil companies won't last, prices=too high.
If the demand is there, the companies will stay alive. I believe the demand is there. Gas has been about five dollars a gallon in England for like 2 years.

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
bobide said:
I'd really like the gov. to step in and say, have this done in 7 years.
Shoot me now. The last thing we need is for the government to step into this.

And I'm all for hydrogen powered cars, AS LONG AS they can make them produce as much (or more) horespower and torque as gas powered cars. Imagine it...A 2nd age of muscle cars, but with no environmental problems. thumup:

Tony - If our calculations were correct while we were in London, they pay closer to $8 a gallon. Of course, it's only $.14 a gallon in Venezuela, and $.05 a gallon in Baghdad.

-Jin

·
Premium Member
3,281 Posts
no we NEED the government to step in or else nothing will happen... things will just keep continuing to get worse. Gas is expected to pass $3.00 /gal by the end of the summer.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts