Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What sets them apart? Intels got the processing speeds it looks like, why so many choose AMD?

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Much more than clockspeed...

In a processor there are different stages through which the data passes. The way a computer often works is to predetermine what you are going to want it to do next. If it is wrong, it has to flush all of that info out of its internal "pipeline" and then cue up and process the new information. The stages through which this is accomplished is what sets the manufacturers chips apart.

In an intel chip there is a 20 state pipeline, whereas in an amd the pipeline is only 12 stages.

That said, it is easy to see how the difference can have a very profound effect upon how the chips perform.

Charger said:
lol intel gave amd an award for Best CPU Manufacturer well it was sponsored by Intel
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=22504

so it would seem i have agree with intel on this and get an amd
LMAO thumup: thats awesome!

·
Registered
329 Posts
2 things plus the number of pipelines. Hypertransport witch allows data to go both ways instead of a 1 way bus. Then theres the Integrated Memory controller. The memory has its own bus right to the processor so you would want low latency memory to get the best performance. That makes the A64 faster than the Intel p4s.

·
not really named bob...
2,368 Posts
most of the reason for it(at least when you compare 32-bit models) are the pipelines. Basically, Intel has a very inefficent design but has the fastest clock speeds.

AMD has a more efficent design and thats why they name their chips by the clock speed of the intel model they are comparable to(ie: the Athlon XP 2000+ actually runs at around 1.6 ghz). This is also the case when comparing Apple's chips(G3, G4, and G5) to an x86 design(AMD, Intel, Transmeta).

This is without even taking into account that AMD's chips are significantly cheaper and many are 64-bit as opposed to 32-bit.

Intel chips also run a little hotter. This just means you might need more cooling if you overclock the chip(which, by the way, is much easier to do with an AMD chip).

I have used both an athlon Thunderbird and XP and would not buy an intel computer....

edit: fixed thanks to Nick

·
Registered
329 Posts
THe stock a64 heatsink has been said to handle upto about 1.6volts. Thats for a newcastle, the winnies arent supposed to get to 1.6 they can but its not recommended, and the new venice that is coming out can reach 2.8 ghz on stock volts of 1.376. Very impressive.

If you want to keep air cooling the xp-90 or xp-90c is recommended with a panaflo fan. or you can step upto a custom made water cooling kit, after that to a Phase change system.

As always with overclocking, you want to keep your at full load temp under 50*c. then your safe.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
just saying that my intel is better than the amd means NOTHING. (directed at slade)

I'm probably going to swap out my 2.6ht within the next year for an msi mobo and athlon 64.

amd>intel. end of story.

·
V8 Interceptor
2,125 Posts
For my soon-to-be comp, I chose the P4 560 3.6 with a 1 Meg Cache.
Hopefully I'll be able to overclock it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts