Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
12,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I'm trying to decide. I'll either go the route of a Core 2 duo (probably the 2.2ghz one) with an ASUS P5W mb.

I've never used an AMD processor. I've been screwing around with a computer at school that has an AMD processor, but I really don't know too much about it. I really don't even know much about the unit of measure AMD uses to relate speed.

If I get an AMD, chances are I'll be using my DDR400 ram I currently have (a 256 and a 512 stick). If I go Intel, I'll have to upgrade RAM as well (P5W is DDR2). If I do that, I'll probably pick up a couple gigs of Corsair. If I do that, I'll have to wait a few weeks for the cash to flow in.

Or I could just postpone all my upgrades and buy a laptop. There really isnt anything wrong with my PC the way it is now, other then a ****ty bios, Celeron processor (2.7ghz) crappy psu... IDE HDD... Actually come to think of it my computer is fairly aged.

At least cooling isnt a problem with the 7 80mm fans I have going on. I swear if you don't prop the case against something it will knock itsself over.

·
I was saving that bacon
7,177 Posts
AMD > Intel

Hands down. Or up. Depends on which you buy, if you buy a AMD you hands will be up because your so excited your computer is going so fast. If you get Intel, you will be hands down in a bag of chips waiting. :rolleyes:

So maybe I exaggerated a wee bit, but AMD is what I would buy.

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
Lowtryx will come in here and tell you differently, but this is how I look at it.

With AMD you are getting at LEAST comparible (if not better in some cases) performance for a lot less. Intel chips are simply more expensive. The current and next gens of chips are probably going to be dominated by Intel, while last (still somewhat current) chips were AMD (according to many sources I've seen that compare).

In my personaly opinion I'd go with a middle-of-the-line AMD. You won't be spending much and you should still be happy with the performance. I'll probably be using this computer I'm on now for years (Athlon 64 3500+). Now you can find even better chips for less than 200, and this isn't even a year old.

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
HuNtS said:
i'm suure someones gonna post that vid of amd's burning up w/o a heatsink, and the intels that keep running...

in my opinion, i like AMD, but yeah...
but who would ever imagine running a processor without a heatsink?

amd is like the african-american in sports. it can run faster, jump higher and play better.

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
HuNtS said:
i'm suure someones gonna post that vid of amd's burning up w/o a heatsink, and the intels that keep running...

That's all well and good...but anyone who runs ANY CPU without a heatsink, in all honesty, is pretty stupid.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
yeah, i understand that, but still.. people'll go on and on about the reliability of an intel just because it can run w/o a heatsink... kinda like the people that preach about tippmanns being able to be run over by a car...

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
I've got an old AMD Athlon XP 1600+. I bought it for a budget PC about 6 years ago, and it is still running strong. It plays the games I want beautifully, and processes a lot faster than the Intel Celeron in my laptop.

I vote AMD.

-Jin

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Alpha said:
Performance is what I want.

Money is what I have.

Heating is not an issue.

I'm leaning towards the AMD now.
If you want it now you DO NOT want AMD.

Right now, the single best processor on the market is a core 2 duo. They have the single best best benchmarks of any processor ever.

I know your a smart guy alpha, look at a computer forum for answers about computers. Google "core 2 duo" and look at it compared to other processors. It runs 20-30 degrees cooler than most processors, and uses a lot less power.

The E6300 runs at a clock speed of about 1.83 GHZ. With that speed, its STILL faster than most others. However, it can easily be overclocked to about 3.0GHZ with STOCK cooling.

PS. It only costs about $180 bucks.

I dont care who says what about AMD or Intel, this processor is EASILY the best on the market, by far. It has no rivals until AMD release its K8 architecture later in the year. Then it will be different. for now, its the Core 2 Duo.

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
DayoftheGreek said:
If you want it now you DO NOT want AMD.

Right now, the single best processor on the market is a core 2 duo. They have the single best best benchmarks of any processor ever.

I know your a smart guy alpha, look at a computer forum for answers about computers. Google "core 2 duo" and look at it compared to other processors. It runs 20-30 degrees cooler than most processors, and uses a lot less power.

The E6300 runs at a clock speed of about 1.83 GHZ. With that speed, its STILL faster than most others. However, it can easily be overclocked to about 3.0GHZ with STOCK cooling.

PS. It only costs about $180 bucks.

I dont care who says what about AMD or Intel, this processor is EASILY the best on the market, by far. It has no rivals until AMD release its K8 architecture later in the year. Then it will be different. for now, its the Core 2 Duo.
Very true. Absolute top of the line is the Core 2 Duo, but if you're not looking for the best of the best, AMD has a lot to offer.

-Jin

·
Screaming Koala
4,685 Posts
HuNtS said:

That was a flaw with the older ones. I thought it was corrected with the newer processors.

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
Jinjiro said:
I've got an old AMD Athlon XP 1600+. I bought it for a budget PC about 6 years ago, and it is still running strong. It plays the games I want beautifully, and processes a lot faster than the Intel Celeron in my laptop.

I vote AMD.

-Jin
well that's all well and good we're not talking about the celeron architecture the latest intel design is much faster then the comparable AMD. Any processor from a reputable company will last for a long time.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
amd and intel are both good. i wouldn't want an amd in a laptop or anything but a desktop is fine. just get what you want it really doesn't matter what us people of paintballforum say. most people here do not build their own computers and my guess is 75% don't even know how to change a hard drive or ram

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
HuNtS said:
yeah, i understand that, but still.. people'll go on and on about the reliability of an intel just because it can run w/o a heatsink... kinda like the people that preach about tippmanns being able to be run over by a car...

yeah except it's a lot easier to abuse a paintball marker than it is to abuse a processor. I'll preach all day about tippmans, but i could care less about processors. nobody in their right mind would not buy a heatsink

·
startx: command not found
3,991 Posts
Although I've been an AMD fan for quite some time, the core 2 duos look mighty tasty. Overclock those and you should be rather happy with the results. I'm looking to get one during christmas time.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts