Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
hotty supreme
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just got an interesting phone call. My 3 friends jj, dave, and andrew left on friday to go to Amsterdam for the weekend.

On the way there andrew lost his phone. At first this seems like it is not a big deal, but now perhaps we realize it may have been a bit of a foreshadowing to his lack of planning and intelligence. I just got a call from my man JJ, gitty like a little school girl. Apparently andrew not only lost his phone on the way there, but lost his passport before their return flight home. Being the no doubt cheap college kids the other 2 are, not wanting to cancel and reschedule a flight, they left him in Amsterdam. When they touched down here in London they called me asking for the professor in charge's cell phone number. Poor Andrew is all alone in Amsterdam, no doubt having no clue how he will get back and probably ****ting his pants with reprocessed pot brownies.

the questions:
What kind of process do you think he will have to go through? I think everyone gave our professor a scanned copy of their passport- will that be enough?

And also, how would you feel if you were in his shoes?

·
0 Posts
lol been there, though i'm not a US citizen, but it sucks either way.

If he's stranded with no passport, the first thing he has to do is run to the embassy in amsterdam and go through the process of proving he's a citizen and jump through all the hoops to get a new passport. Though i'm not sure if he'd get a new passport, maybe he'll just get temporary travel papers.

If he's stranded with no money and nowhere to resort to, i'm sure the embassy can help him out somehow, he just needs to ask.

But boy do i feel sorry for him, if it were a passport from any other country it'd be so much easier for him.

·
0 Posts
Hmmmm if he can get the passport then he can just go to switzerland from there, it's not far at all and catching a train (amsterdam-frankfurt-zurich ~12h by train) is possibly the fastest cheap way to get there. But he has to go to the embassy now, it might be more than just a few days to get his papers.

If he can't get a passport, he's ****ed.

Dunno how it works US citizens, but he better go find out soon if he wants a shot at joining you guys in switzerland.

·
Superdeeduper Admin Type
17,772 Posts
He needs to go to the US consolate in Amsterdam. There is information HERE that will help him set an appointment with the Consular General's office. There he will have to apply for a new passport pasport information . He will more then likely need some form of money -- credit card number etc. and some way to bona fide his US status. He will also need pasport photo's -- they don't take them at the consular's office.

Good luck, but I wouldn't expect to see him for a couple of weeks until he gets all his travel documents taken care of. Not to mention, he no longer has a valid ticket on the airline and will have to buy a full fare short notice ticket to get home. That will be probably nearly $2000 right there.

The moral of the story is don't lose your passport! Basically your friend is screwed, blued, and tatooed. Hopefully he has some cash so he can crash at a youth hostel or something in the mean time. Otherwise it's Western Union or some other form of cash transfer from the Bank of Mom and Dad.

And tel him to stay out of the pot bars there. The US consular's office will not serve you if you are intoxicated, and it damn hard for you to get US consular's services if you are incarcerated for public intoxication. They tolerate drugs in Amsterdam... barely. They tolerate American's only slightly more.

·
shine on.
10,745 Posts
How do you lose your passport? Jeez, I'd be ****ting bricks.

When I was 11 or 12 I was flying to visit my dad in england and had a connection in manchester. Our plane was delayed so I missed the connection there and they lost my luggage. I had to rebook and they eventually found my luggage but yeah. That **** was stressful when you're just a kid.

D

·
0 Posts
My friend had his wallet/pouch thing stolen in Europe and lost his passport in the process. He went to an embassy and had things sorted out easily enough. I don't think it delayed them too much, but it cost him a fair bit, 200 rings a bell.

BUT, that's Canada.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts