Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
All white bricks
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im living here in Cádiz Spain and I decided to write up a little study that I have been doing.

1. The drinking age in Spain is 18. Driving age is 18. Tobacco is 18.
2. The drinking age in the USA is 21. Driving age is 16. Tobacco is 18. (varies state to state, but 21 for alcohol everywhere).

I have been observing people in the streets and such (thousands of people drink in the plazas in the town centre on the weekends. There are people that are drunk but more or less, most of the people are controlled. Everyone is very relaxed. There are no fights, nobody puking everywhere, everyones just enjoying themselves. The majority are teenagers 17 to 21 years of age. Even the people that are 17 are behaving the exact same way that the older folk are.

If the drinking age were lowered to 18 and the driving age were raised to 18, what harm would be done? And the answer is......

teenagers in europe are more mature than teens in the USA. There are exceptions, but overall this is very true. Its a shame that american kids arent mature enough to sit down and drink a good glass of wine or a beer with a good meal. Everyone just wants to get ****faced.

I love to get drunk. Yesterday I was so ****ty I could barely walk home. But then again, I am smart enough to know when too much is too much. I refused the final 2 shots of jager and I made it home without puke on my clothes.

If you think what your posting in this thread is dumb, please do not post.

I want to hear what everyone has to say about this

tldr drinking age 18 in europe, lots of fun, drinking age 18 in USA, mayhem

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
For the first few years, yeah there would be harm, because all the current 18-20 year olds would suddenly go nuts and get drunk a ton. Then the next couple generations that turn 18 would go nuts cuz they didn't have to wait as long. And then it would probably start to normalize, and eventually be like what it's like in Europe.

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Most people here don't know this, but the drinking age in the US used to be 18. It was bumped up in 1984 due to the Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD).

·
<a href="http://www.picoo
3,251 Posts
People should just not drink, it ruins your liver and you don't need it, plus too many people are irresponsible. One glass of wine is fine but seriously, you don't need it.

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Most people probably agree that it's quite difficult to safely and effectively lower the age, at least for the first couple of generations.

There wasn't a problem when the drinking age was 18. Well I mean, there was, but it could have been handled by creating stricter penalties for drunk drivers and the like. But my old high school teacher would tell me how when the age was 18, no one really abused it. Sure they had parties, but no one got completely wasted. The PTA even hosted a huge party for the seniors at the end of the year and provided all the kegs.

-Jin

D

·
0 Posts
drinking is also totally integreted into european culture, which is way it's not abbused, as much.

But still, tons of peple die drinking and driving in europe.. and the drinking/club scene in uk is ridiculous..

its really not that different...

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
minimagpro said:
Its a shame that american kids arent mature enough to sit down and drink a good glass of wine or a beer with a good meal.
I beg to differ. I once had a silver bullet with take out chinese food. ya thats right, 2 entrees and steamed rice. nothing like some orange chicken and beef with a beer... no but really it wasnt as bad as i thought. :)
kant_think said:
One glass of wine is fine but seriously, you don't need it.
a glass of wine a day has shown that something in red wine can actually help you live a longer healthier life. just because its alcohol doesnt mean its bad.. excessive/binge drinking is bad, im not contesting that, but our livers and our human body can take a beating most of the time, we are made like that, consuming alcohol periodically isnt going to hurt the majory of people

Pretty much everywhere in the world the drinking age is 18, i really dont care because alcohol is so easy to drink/get anyways, so it doesnt effect me much, if anything id probably be putting in more money.

·
¡Viva La Rob!
6,076 Posts
spanish culture is still different than american culture.

my spanish teacher is from spain, and we had a discussion on the drinking age. and he said the biggest observation was, the spanish culture is alot more 'mature' than the US culture. so, it's alot more accepted to go to a bar when you're 17 with your friends to get a few beers. he said people get drunk, but they dont drink to get drunk, they just happen to get more and more drunk as the night goes on. which is interesting, because thats so different than the US. which is why it makes sense the drinking age is 21

·
Premium Member
16,148 Posts
doomsday said:
Most people here don't know this, but the drinking age in the US used to be 18. It was bumped up in 1984 due to the Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD).
According to Corzine, it still is 18. But we can't expect our own governor to know the legal drinking age.

·
I was saving that bacon
7,177 Posts
Are we talking about drinking age, or BUYING age. Last time I heard you could drink if your 18 you just couldnt buy it. I maybe just completely wrong about that, but I think im right......

NVM im retarded.

·
All white bricks
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ja289 said:
spanish culture is still different than american culture.

my spanish teacher is from spain, and we had a discussion on the drinking age. and he said the biggest observation was, the spanish culture is alot more 'mature' than the US culture. so, it's alot more accepted to go to a bar when you're 17 with your friends to get a few beers. he said people get drunk, but they dont drink to get drunk, they just happen to get more and more drunk as the night goes on. which is interesting, because thats so different than the US. which is why it makes sense the drinking age is 21
QFT

Everyone drinks to enjoy themselves and getting drunk just happens after a few hours.....

·
Wheeeeee!
1,366 Posts
MADD pisses me off. They've got their largest presence in Wisconsin, ergo a DUI stays on your public record for 50 years. Plus, you can get multiple tickets for the same drinking/driving offense (though generally one of them gets dropped in plea bargaining).

Yeah, there would be huge short-term repercussions, and that's why no politicians will support a lowered drinking age: the repurcussions will outlive their term in office, and they won't get re-ellected.

I think it's a moot point, though: if teens in America want alcohol, they'll still get it. And maybe it's a good thing that they have to fly under the radar to get it: a 16 year old in America has no clue how drunk is too drunk. After all, if drinking 1 beer makes you cool, just imagine how cool you are after a 12 pack.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
minimagpro said:
tldr drinking age 18 in europe, lots of fun, drinking age 18 in USA, mayhem
When I went to Germany this summer it was definately 16. Not that it matters too much, but just so you know.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I would much rather have the current system (of 16 for driving, 21 for drinking) than switch it to 18 for both. I know that there have been many more situations where I've thought "I wish I could drive right now" than "I wish I could drink some booze right now!"

But ultimately, I think 18 is a reasonable drinking age. If you can smoke at 18, there should be no reason to not be able to drink at 18.

·
don't drop the soap
3,895 Posts
You know what I think is actually dumb looking back on it is the driving age of 16. Sure I was all for it when I was that age, but now dealing with so many utterly dip**** ****head little kids driving their SUV's barreling through residential streets and suicide intersections without even looking, amongst other stupid **** they do, I say make the driving age 18. Or at least make it harder to get a license, we could use less ****heads out on the roads.

·
i play for keeps
7,001 Posts
I firmly believe that if children are old enough to be legal citizens, landowners, soldiers, business owners, college students, entrepeneurs, or any other career, they should have the liberty to drink.

If they can own their own house, own their own car, lease their own apartments, they should have the liberty to drink.

If they have every single other right at 18, why can they not have that liberty? Mayhem? How about education in alcohol? when people turn 21 they go out and drink at bars(legally). They learn their limits and make mistakes as well. 18 year olds are capable of learning their limits and making the same mistakes, it would simply be 3 years earlier for each person. It doesn't make sense to say 21 is the age, instead of 18.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts