Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Mr. Vice President, Mr. Speaker, members of the Senate and the House of Representatives:

Yesterday, December 7, 1941 - a date which will live in infamy - the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan.

The United States was at peace with that nation, and, at the solicitation of Japan, was still in conversation with its government and its Emperor looking toward the maintenance of peace in the Pacific.

Indeed, one hour after Japanese air squadrons had commenced bombing in the American island of Oahu, the Japanese Ambassador to the United States and his colleague delivered to our Secretary of State a formal reply to a recent American message. And, while this reply stated that it seemed useless to continue the existing diplomatic negotiations, it contained no threat or hint of war or of armed attack.

It will be recorded that the distance of Hawaii from Japan makes it obvious that the attack was deliberately planned many days or even weeks ago. During the intervening time the Japanese Government has deliberately sought to deceive the United States by false statements and expressions of hope for continued peace.

The attack yesterday on the Hawaiian Islands has caused severe damage to American naval and military forces. I regret to tell you that very many American lives have been lost. In addition, American ships have been reported torpedoed on the high seas between San Francisco and Honolulu.

Yesterday the Japanese Government also launched an attack against Malaya.

Last night Japanese forces attacked Hong Kong.

Last night Japanese forces attacked Guam.

Last night Japanese forces attacked the Philippine Islands.

Last night the Japanese attacked Wake Island.

And this morning the Japanese attacked Midway Island.

Japan has therefore undertaken a surprise offensive extending throughout the Pacific area. The facts of yesterday and today speak for themselves. The people of the United States have already formed their opinions and well understand the implications to the very life and safety of our nation.

As Commander-in-Chief of the Army and Navy I have directed that all measures be taken for our defense, that always will our whole nation remember the character of the onslaught against us.

No matter how long it may take us to overcome this premeditated invasion, the American people, in their righteous might, will win through to absolute victory.

I believe that I interpret the will of the Congress and of the people when I assert that we will not only defend ourselves to the uttermost but will make it very certain that this form of treachery shall never again endanger us.

Hostilities exist. There is no blinking at the fact that our people, our territory and our interests are in grave danger.

With confidence in our armed forces, with the unbounding determination of our people, we will gain the inevitable triumph. So help us God.

I ask that the Congress declare that since the unprovoked and dastardly attack by Japan on Sunday, December 7, 1941, a state of war has existed between the United States and the Japanese Empire."

-FDR
December 8, 1941

·
i play for keeps
7,001 Posts
let's celebrate internment camps while we're at it... yay war yay.
I'll punch you in the ****ing throat.

We remember the lives lost at Pearl Harbor, and all the lives lost throughout WW2 on this day, ****in douchebag.

D

·
0 Posts
I was not aware of this, all of my ridiculously slanted high school history textbooks had me under the impression that America was the only evil superpower with internment camps.
They probably also told ya that you guys won the War of 1812, eh? :p

Yeah, Canada had em too. Canada's got a couple nasty skeletons in her closet.

·
Certified Caffeine Addict
3,072 Posts
They probably also told ya that you guys won the War of 1812, eh? :p

Yeah, Canada had em too. Canada's got a couple nasty skeletons in her closet.
Not only that, throughout middle school they tried to convince us that we had never been defeated in ANY foreign conflict. No wonder we never really talked about Vietnam until I took AP US History in 11th grade.

D

·
0 Posts
A day that is slowly fading away as the generations go on. It is a very sad day in our history. I will never forget.

·
Since 1923
1,909 Posts
Not only that, throughout middle school they tried to convince us that we had never been defeated in ANY foreign conflict. No wonder we never really talked about Vietnam until I took AP US History in 11th grade.
...we didn't lose the war in vietnam. That's because it was technically a "police action". So we haven't lost any wars :dodgy:

·
i play for keeps
7,001 Posts
...we didn't lose the war in vietnam. That's because it was technically a "police action". So we haven't lost any wars :dodgy:
You could argue we've lost every war we've fought.

Because when peoples war....nobody wins.

·
Banned
14,001 Posts
we lost the fight in vietnam, and we have lost the war in Iraq.....let me re-phrase that, we are STILL loosing the war in Iraq

·
Superdeeduper Admin Type
17,772 Posts
we lost the fight in vietnam, and we have lost the war in Iraq.....let me re-phrase that, we are STILL loosing the war in Iraq
We are NOT loosing the war in Iraq. I have been there, on the ground; have you? Or are you just regurgitating all the crap that is fed to you by Fox news? While the war may be unpopular, it has been by far from ineffective.

·
i play for keeps
7,001 Posts
People are impatient.

How long did we stay in Japan after WWII? Oh ya we're still there!!!

How long did we stay in the Middle East after Desert Storm? Oh ya we let a warlord like Hussein rise even higher in power!!!

The American people are impatient. They expect international policy to change just because on the surface they think there is no progress. NFL coaches are fired for 1/2 a bad season. That's what Americans would want in international policy. We can only hope steadier and more level-headed minds prevail.

·
i play for keeps
7,001 Posts
You like being the outcast, don't you? You enjoy, sadistically, being the only one that thinks the way you do. You may not think you're better than others, but you are certainly more enlightened, more open-minded.

You call us name-callers, yet use terms like cock-smokes against us.

You would prefer to think of us as drones. We're simply machines, that wear calvin klein ties to our meaningles 9-5 jobs. We live for our Tag Hauer watches, our BMWs, and our banana republic polos. We are defined by what we wear, where we live, what we drive, and how much the cover is at the clubs we go to. We buy our Crown royal and patron bottle service and wear shiny shirts to get laid every thursday, friday, and saturday nights.

If we are all this way, it makes it easier for you to spew your rhetoric. You never actually argue for anything. You rely on sarcastic comments rather than any kind of substantial proof. You're more enlightened than any of us tools. We're so close-minded, how could we even begin to comprehend the truths that you know? We don't care. We just care about the parties, the babes, the drinks, and the money. To us, war is necessary to kill terrorists, people are poor because they are lazy, kids starve because parents dont take care of them, genocide occurs because the people are dumb tribesmen....change the channel, Dane Cook is on HBO.

You would like to think all these people are close-minded and care about the above. It's an easier proposition for you to spew your sarcastic, meaningless jabs. You are the close-minded one. You are what you think you hate about me.

·
Superdeeduper Admin Type
17,772 Posts
Easy Fuhrer. Sorry I don't bleed red white and blue. Ends don't justify the means, to me. :cool:
I am sorry that you don't see the necessity some times to take up arms and defend this country. Like it or not, naked aggression and military might have solved more situations definitively then that of diplomatic negotiations. Just because we want them to; the bad man isn't going to go away. Sometimes you have to step on his throat to protect what is yours.

The original thought to this thread was to remember the day as one of incredible sorrow for this country and to the country of Japan. Pearl Harbor set in motion actions that lead to the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people. It was a just war and one that needed to be fought, and with the sacrifice of those who served, we prevailed. You can't tell me that "war never solved anything" as war ends up as the ultimate solution.

I agree with Dhill though that we are impatient and fickle as a society. Frankly it scares me that if a solution can not be implemented to the satisfaction of the 30 minute sit-com crowd right away, then we better give up and pull out.

Anyway.. I could rant all day, but I will refrain. Suffice it to say I have literally bled in the service of this country, and while I would have obviously preferred not to, it was indeed necessary and my privilege to serve. Your callous statements cheapen the dedication of the people who have put their very lives on the line for our liberties. You would have us believe that those who have died at Pearl Harbor were wasted. Frankly sir, you could not have been more wrong. Their sacrifices were tragic indeed; but they are heroes one and all.

·
Banned
14,001 Posts
We are NOT loosing the war in Iraq. I have been there, on the ground; have you? Or are you just regurgitating all the crap that is fed to you by Fox news? While the war may be unpopular, it has been by far from ineffective.
so whats our purpose in being there still? effective yes, there has been no more attacks over here but im my eyes we have just substituted the general public dying with our troops and moved the location, no the troops are not helpless but to me and a lot of the general public we are still over there without a goal and losing money every day because of it.

·
i play for keeps
7,001 Posts
I think the ultimate goal is help the Iraqis get to a point where the government can stand on it's own. To reach this goal comes at great cost to America in the sense of lives, money, and world opinion. However, to fall short of this goal, pull out, and allow warlords to take over the country is a far more costly proposition.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts