Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Meh...I think you'd be surprised at how well low end hardware will perform on a Linux system. Windows just gobbles up so much everything, it's kind of crazy.

But I'm just happy that something like this is finally happening. I just wrote a short paper for a class, and my theme was a new platform for Windows that will basically save Microsoft's butt as Linux gains more and more popularity. The thing is, they'll never do it because it would make too much sense. :rolleyes:

-Jin

·
startx: command not found
3,991 Posts
I love light desktop managers

i'm using xubuntu (with xfce) on my laptop now, and it really is awesome how fast it allows your computer to run. I mean, my laptop is a decent machine (Core2 Duo 2.33ghz, 2GB ram, 256 ATI FireGL), but switching from windows or even standard ubuntu for that matter, to xubuntu, the difference is quite noticeable. Everything's just snappy, which is what I want.

Light desktop environments on computers can really bring life back to something that's considered "outdated." So i find this news to be pretty awesome, in fact. $200 for something that'll do most anything a novice computer user needs is likely to bring some attention to Linux.

Thanks for the news Jin;)

on the topic of linux, anyone know how to get on a 802.1x PEAP + MSCHAP-V2 network with xsupplicant? I'm trying to get a linux usergroup going at my university, but nobody can get on the network right now. any help would recieve love.

·
Erect member.
2,323 Posts
"Even at the low end, however, image is everything. The gPC is built using tiny components, but put inside a full-size case because research indicates that Wal-Mart shoppers are so unsophisticated they equate physical size with capability."

This is the part that really stood out to me :)

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
It's been absolutely delightful to watch people doing things more "simply" recently. From seeing more and more people (locally) riding their bikes around town, to eating more home-cooked meals and seeing my friends and their families doing the same—this is more of the same. Things like this are going to keep popping up, too. To me it seems like absolute common sense for almost all computer users: Buy something cheap but powerful and get as much use out of it as you can. Families are going to stop spending $1000 dollars at the nearest store because the salesperson tells them a computer is the "best" and start actually thinking with these monstrous organs we have called "brains."

Whether people want to believe it or not, we could very well be experiencing the collapse of what we've come to know as the American Way of Life™, and this is what it looks like. Doesn't look half bad to me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts