Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Superdeeduper Admin Type
17,772 Posts
I seriously think that the USA is one of the dumbest per capita countries in the world.. Look at Asian and European cultures.. much smarter then us. Education is tougher, and they produce much more intelligent people. It will eventually lead to the destruction of this country.

Or I could be wrong.

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
I seriously think that the USA is one of the dumbest per capita countries in the world.. Look at Asian and European cultures.. much smarter then us. Education is tougher, and they produce much more intelligent people. It will eventually lead to the destruction of this country.

Or I could be wrong.
The education system is very different abroad. My cousin's in Germany go to school all day, then go to study groups at night. No students work during the school day (unless you’re poor and absolutely have to) and students don't take part in any extra curricular activities. Instead, you get a week off every month or so and that's when you do sports, party, and other fun stuff. They also go to school year round. Then, when they turn ~17 they take a test that either puts them into a vocational job, or a higher end job....and they're pretty much stuck there for life. Asian cultures have a similar educational system, yet they usually spend even less time doing things outside of school. They often get five hours of homework, compared to our ~one.

What you have to remember is, while they're stuck in a book, a lot of our students are working, doing sports, doing scouts, messing around on the computer, ect. They're learning through doing, because they like it, not because they're forced to. We'll always have smart kids that will stay buried in a book, but I really think that someone who went to school, worked, and played sports is more well rounded person. While they may not be as book smart, they know how to function in the real world and they know how to think for themselves. That individuality and "street smart" nature is one of the main things that separates us, and always has.

Another, is our much larger diversity. You look at a school in Germany or Japan, it's almost all German/Japanese students. Meanwhile, you look at our schools in any suburban neighborhood and it's a mix of people from all over. The kid from Japan in the dorm next to us, my first year, flipped out when he got an African-American room-mate. He couldn't even deal with it, nor could he understand why they wouldn't stick a Japanese kid with another Japanese kid. When you're doing international business you have to willing to deal with people from all over.

While I do think we need a bit of an update in our educational system, we have a lot of things going for us right now that make us very different from the rest of the world. Which, I really think, gives us an edge in a lot of situations. I don't think forcing every student to stay buried in a book is the answer, balance is much more important.

(Funny this came up, my buddy is an education and special education double major, and we were discussing this tonight.)

D

·
0 Posts
you can't be uncultured. Being 'uncultured' would create a new culture of those who are 'uncultured'. But that's irrelevant because it's impossible to be uncultured. 'uncultured' is a very ethnocentric statement.

·
shine on.
10,745 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxmHEGy7JUU&NR=1

enjoy.

although i wouldn't mind taking Sophie home with me.
I was going to say.. one person anywhere could get that question wrong.. but the ask the audience results.. :rofl:

Oh well.. Like somebody said, there are dumb people in every part of the world. Except for maybe Antarctica because usually only scientists are found there.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts