Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Paintball's Sam Fisher
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here is my question. I am in the middle of an upgrade spree for my SP-1. I have money, and a hobby, so i spend money on my hobby:). Now, here is a question. For when i play woods or scenario ball, do you think that it would be worth buying an APEX? The reason i ask is that they have discontinued making the barrel for sp threads, and now would be the time to buy.

The reason i want an apex is simply for the range when i play in the woods. I dont wanna curve the ball into bunkers or anything. Just want more range. Any thoughts on the Apex, range or accuracy would be appreciated. Also, can the apex front fit on the 16in SmartParts Tactical barrel? I like the barrels accuracy, so thought it would be cool to check out.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
it will add range.. however that range wont matter because the ball will not break, so really if that's all you want it for you're wasting your money, and could be saving it for future use elsewhere.. buy yourself a 30-40$ barrel, leave it at that, and spend money on other ups...

·
Paintball's Sam Fisher
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I havent heard of any issues with paint breaking at ranges under 200ft. and lets face it, im not going to be making to many shots like that. but any suggestions on a range increasing barrel? it is my understanding that only barrels causing a spin on the round (specifically bottom spin) increase range.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
basically what we're saying is you dont want a range increasing barrel... there's plenty of people who have used them to know that the balls dont break very well at all with the extra range, added on to the fact that all the extended range systems/barrels are extremely expensive compared to just getting a good quality normal barrel for no more than 40 bucks.. we're trying to save you money to spend elsewhere, wether you want to or not is your call, but it's a bad idea to go with something like that..

·
Paintball's Sam Fisher
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a sixteen inch smart parts tactical barrel that retails at $40. 1) can an upgrade really improve accuracy much and 2) does the Apex adapter fit on this barrel? i dont think it would due to the mock suppressor, but it would be nice to hear from anyone who knows. Im not to worried about spending cash on the adapter as its on clearance from a local shop for $25

·
The most unlucky In PB
36 Posts
I have a sixteen inch smart parts tactical barrel that retails at $40. 1) can an upgrade really improve accuracy much and 2) does the Apex adapter fit on this barrel? i dont think it would due to the mock suppressor, but it would be nice to hear from anyone who knows. Im not to worried about spending cash on the adapter as its on clearance from a local shop for $25
Seriously don't worry about the Apex barrel, I personally borrowed one from my friend who used It on his X7 rollin: and the thing Is horrible.

It shoots straight for about thirty feet and then goes off In a random direction then It sort of floats In that random direction for a while and bounces off something, something includes people. Also to add I was using the normal setting, not for curving or dropping or any crazy thing but for general range and the worst part Is If you set It to the top notch of the settings all of your balls WILL break in the barrel. It may have just been the humid weather but It definitely wasn't bad paint.

I suggest saving your money for a Blackheart or a Virtue board and If you already have one then I wouldn't buy any more upgrades. Before buying more upgrades or anymore upgrades at all think about your Mask, Loader, and tank.

If you have a cheap non anti fog mask get a better one.
If your loader can't keep up get a better one.
If your using CO2 or a steel tank get a better one.

After that think about your pod pack, tools or even clothes, Just worry about your gun last

·
Paintball's Sam Fisher
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sounds good. thanks for the info. Im assuming you have a black heart board? how that work for you?
Also, i know this isnt the rate my marker forum, but i figure ill list my stats and see what you think:
-SP-1
-Invert Reloader II (not the best looking hopper but it defiantly gets the job done)
-16in SP Tactical Barrel
-RAP4 Carbine Stock
-32Degrees Remote line
-50/3k Pure Energy HPA
-GXG Lightweight TacVest (four pods up front, air in back)
-BDUs and Bates Combat Boots.

·
The most unlucky In PB
36 Posts
I have used the Blackheart board on a Vibe, which Is an SP-1 but without the "Real gun" look.
The only point to It Is If you would like to shoot a bit faster, from 11 bps to around 20bps.
Blackheart boards are 100$.

If you get a Blackheart a new loader Is a must, although you should upgrade from that to something a little more effective anyway at some point. Especially when you ever get a new marker.

-View loader Eyeforce - Eye activated
Pros: 200 Capacity, 20bps Consistently, only 50$, VERY simple, can get a camo color for 10$ more If you want.
Cons: Sits farther back on the gun, lot's of screws to replace batteries, board Is sort of In the open, Feedneck Is tall.

-Invert Halo Too - Sound activated
Pros: 180 Capacity, around 21-22BPS, only 70$, Nice even size
Cons: More Expensive, less capacity, little more complicated, sound activated (Personal con)

You should definitely get a new tank, all around positive for getting one.
Any 68/4500 will do. Brands: Ninja, Crossfire, Guerrilla Air.
Remember a 68/4500 Is bigger and I'm not sure If It will fit that vest, You can always get a smaller 4500 tank.

What goggles/mask do you have?

Your setup Is good If your comfortable with It but I don't like Stocks, 16 inch barrels, vests or boots.
Also Cleats are a good thing to buy, I find boots heavy and cumbersome.

Just think In this order for upgrades Mask, Tank, Loader, Tools, Clothes, Gun.

I could explain stuff all day but there's only so much I can fit Into a post without being to much at once.

·
Paintball's Sam Fisher
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
im A bit more into the milsim game so the stock and vest dont bother. Since the SP-1 has like a 5in shroud the barrel is really more like 11in. Does 16in affect the marker adversely?

My mask is a VFORCE morph
i dont get a ton of shots per fill but i dont go crazy and most fields have all day air. Any other pro's to another tank?
Your opinion on the hopper? i only used it once. I got it and the tank as a clearance package for 75 dollars, and i havent had an issue with either. But does the hopper/tank have any cons that you know of.

PS- feel free to write as much as you want. Im interested in other's opinions

·
The most unlucky In PB
36 Posts
I personally would probably say the Invert Too Is better (Even If It Is sound operated)
Even though I never owned It I tested somebodies at my field before.
But If you don't get a Blackheart and aren't planning on getting another marker In a long time then stick with your current loader.

A 16 inch barrel doesn't affect It to much If at all In a negative way, just stay in the 14 - 16 inch range. A 16 inch barrel Is useful for pushing things out of the way (Branches, Bushes, Bunkers) while aiming though.

Getting a Carbon Fiber tank will not only get more shot's per fill but It will be lighter by pounds. Your current tank Is probably 4 pounds but a Carbon Fiber could be 2. But since your running a remote It's not to much of an issue, although having less weight means moving faster even If It Is 2 pounds more.

Is your mask comfortable, does It fall off while running, and does It fog?
If so get something else right away because your eyes are WAY more important then your gun or anything else you have.

But just remember If It's comfortable to you then keep It and don't let anyone say otherwise, I'm just pointing out things you COULD get.

Like me personally I love to play Woodsball and Scenario's but I only own Speedball gear, other than my gun which Is sort of Mil-Simish.
I have bright red Proto jersey and pant's and a red Proto Axis Pro mask, I even have a red pod pack. People ask why I play woodsball with non-camo clothes because they think It's weird but It doesn't really matter.

It's all personal preference.

·
Paintball's Sam Fisher
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome, thanks for the advice. My mask is very comfortable and fits well, but it is second hand and i think whatever the previous owner used killed the thermo lenses cause last game i played i couldnt see jack... I lied down between a tree and a stump and waited for them to clear. While i was waiting a squad of 3-4 guys walked within 35 feet of me. Didnt see me, which is why i dont use red lol ;) but like you said personal preference.

Thanks alot for your time answering my questions. Good luck on the field

·
Paintball?
7,646 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts