Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Cunning Linguist
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Viox: it is an anti-inflammatory/pain reliever and has been proven to be very effective at what it does. Long story short, after a period of time, long-term effects were shown to be hazardous to the health of those using the product so it was removed from the market, as it should be.

To summarize: Viox can be extremely beneficial in the short-term but is hazardous long-term, so it was removed from the market.

Cigarettes are harmful in both the short-term and the long-term and equally if not more hazardous in the long-term, yet they remain on the market.

Discuss.

·
Banged
5,579 Posts
The government cant straight up ban tobacco

Tobacco farming was like one the things America was founded upon. Now its tobacco companies are worth like 100's of billions, and to cut tobacco products out of our economy, prices of everything else would inflate to made up for the lost revenue

·
Supporter
3,646 Posts
Hmm we're talking about this in health right now...
I think it is a bad product and a bad thing to have on the market, but at the same time as long as people know what the consequences are i feel that they are entitled to their own choice... and even if they did get taken off the market it would turn into just another drug.. illegal but pretty easy to get.
i have some pics of some lungs of a person that was smoking but id rather not show them seeing as i might get banned... it really messes up your lungs.

·
Cunning Linguist
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why can't people have the option to take Viox, at least it has some benefit to it.

(I'm just usinf Viox as an example)

Half the country was also built on the backs of slave labourers but they fazed that program out.

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
I'm a big supporter of laissez faire. I think the government needs to take a step back, as long as there are warnings. I don't really care what someone else does to themselves, as long as I'm not affected.

2nd hand smoke, however, does affect me, and I am glad that NY took a step towards curbing that problem by banning smoking in restaurants. Do it in your home or out in the fresh air or whatever, just not somewhere that I can't escape.

-Jin

·
Cunning Linguist
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
chromekilla said:
yeah, but you cant smoke black people now can you?
That's debatable with semantics.

So Jin, you're ok with people smoking in their own homes? No moral outrage for the poor kids whose lives are ruined by the second hand smoke you are spared from?

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
I think that brings up a very good point, and I'm not going to pretend like I have a cure-all answer.

On the one hand, second hand smoke does hurt smokers children. They may be too young or just too intimidated to ask their parents to smoke outside or to decide to leave the room when their parents smoke.

On the other hand, it's the parents house. They own it, they have their rights, they should not be deprived of a cigarette in their own homes.

It's a sticky subject, and unfortunately there's no clear answer.

-Jin

·
Cunning Linguist
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Michael Jackson got in all sorts of trouble for holding his baby out on a balcony, endangering the life of his child. You aren't willing to give someone **** for endanginer the life of their child by ruining their lungs by filling them with smoke?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
as a smoker I have one thing to say. Are you forced to buy and smoke cigarettes? I understand secondhand smoke and I am for all the restaurant bans, but people buy them out of their own will.

·
Cunning Linguist
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can't say anybody has ever forced me to smoke a cigarette. It's not really pleasant having to hold my breath on my way into the building for class every day, and I end up smelling like smoke anyway. They can't smoke inside so they huddle outside the exits and leave them reeking of smoke and littered with butts.

Aside from that, my original point is, why can't I take viox if you smoke cigarettes. As others could argue, why can't I smoke pot if you smoke cigarettes.

·
Cunning Linguist
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No I haven't, please enlighten us. All I know is my gf's cousin used to sell it and that even Tylenol is harmful in excessive amounts.

·
Retired
4,332 Posts
i'll just say..its not for the weak hearted or weak stomach.

*im not condoning the use/misuse of prescription drugs for immoral or illegal purposes*

(we dont wanna get this closed now do we?)

since the viox "scare", i take ultracet now.

·
i play for keeps
7,001 Posts
anything is harmful in excessive amounts.

As an active athlete and my dad getting free samples of vioxx(yes there are 2 x's) i observed that Aleve is MUCH better than vioxx, simple naproxen sodium straight up beats vioxx for performance.

But that is irrelevant. I think it has to do with the FDA(food & drug administration)'s laws and rules, and since the FDA regulates all prescription medicines, they couldnt have a product that harms peopel, short term or long.

Tobacco isnt regulated by the FDA, so of course it wont be subject to the same standards of health risk.

·
Cunning Linguist
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've never actually been exposed to VioxX. I have tried Naproxen and found it quite effective, helped me get through my cubital (yes cubital) tunnel syndrome flare up.

The FDA is just another arm of the government. If the government wanted to control any substance they would find a means to do so. They have made decisions to allow some and disallow others. Why allow cancer sticks and disallow other less harmful substances? Just because of the triviality of whose jurisdiction they fall under? I'd like to think that is not so.

·
i play for keeps
7,001 Posts
The fact that it is a huge revenue for our american economy(export is huge).

The fact that some of the main contributors to most political campaigns are tobacco giants(bob dole anyone?).

those 2 reasons, and mostly the 2nd one are why tobacco industry wont be shut down anytime soon, regardless of the dangers of smoking. americans love their vices, and cigarettes are one of them.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts