Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father and I arranged to pick up a 350 short block from my uncle this morning, but when we called to make sure hed be home, he said that he didnt want to sell it. =( Naturally this sparked a shopping spree for my father and I.

On our way to Summit Racing, we talked about what we thought we should get, and made sure both of us agreed taht what we were investing in would be worth its value.

First on the list was a transmission:

For those of you that cant read fine print, here is a closeup:

Yes, a TCI Street Fighter TH350

Next on the list was a 350 engine. We were originally going to build up a short block, but after finding a GM Performance long block, we opted for it.

330HP/380TQ with mild intake/exhaust.

Next we decided to get a torque converter. This model is a 1800-2000 Stall converter.

Some more goodies in a box:

Intake gaskets, Transmission/Flex Plate Bolts, Flex plate, polished allen head engine bolt kit, engine oil filter adaptor.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
To lift the engine, we will need a shop crane, and a rolling cradle to work on the engine/tranny.

Yay for air tools! this job only took me about an hour and a half to complete. I give great thanks that my family and I are able to do these kind of projects.

So there is my day pbf. now i get to go to work :).

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
ZZ4 350?

GM crate motors are the way to go. Great warrenty and soup-2-nut complete right out of the crate.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
330hp is great for that motor, considering how mild the cam and heads are. You could get that up to 400hp without even trying, just about 125$ with a cam

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
doomsday said:
ZZ4 350?

GM crate motors are the way to go. Great warrenty and soup-2-nut complete right out of the crate.
i dont think it is a zz4. it is a long block, which is the block/crank/rods/pistonsrings/heads/valvetrain. http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=NAL-12486041&N=700+4294925232+4294918831+115&autoview=sku here it is with specs and stuff.

Summit Racing said:
.435 in. intake lift and .460 in exhaust lift with 212 degree open duration intake and 222 degree open duration exhaust lobes at .050 in. ground with a 112.5 lobe centerline.
dooms/pat how mild is that cam? it is a little more agressive than the one i had before it. also it has vortec heads, can you tell me anything about theM?

also transmission specs:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=TCI-311000&N=700+4294925134+4294839071+400252+4294908216+4294861220+4294904013+115&autoview=sku

shopping at summit is a great experience, whether youre buying a lot, or just a tshirt. the people there know about cars. they arent like autozone people where theyre just hired off the street. these people at summit know about cars, and they know a lot about them. i would highly reccommend going to one just for the experience.

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Vortec heads are later generation heads, first used on trucks in the 90's. They're very similar to LT1 heads. The one thing to remember about Vortec heads is they have a different mounting setup for the intake manifold from older heads, so if you ever decide on another intake manifold you need one that's vortec specific. Other wise they're great. Should make a lot of torque.

The cam is on the mild side, it should sound near stock or with a slight lope, don't expect a real lopey sound. This is good though, it means you will actually be able to drive the car. An elky with no weight in the rear and a monster cam can get you in trouble and is just generally annoying to drive, especially in traffic.

The turbo 350 is a great trans, should be perfect for the power you're making. It won't be as bullet proof as a turbo 400, but you wont loose as much power through drive train loss. It's the same trans we put in the '32 (though the one in the '32 is setup like a powerglide for pretty hard shifts at high rpms, it's more of a race trans).

All in all, you got some good stuff. A lot of performance they're for the price with good reliability. It should be plenty to scare you. :D After you get it together mechanically I would throw a coat of paint on that car, unless brown and cream is your thing. IMO that car would look a lot meaner with a different color scheme. :)

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Those are nice, just don't put 22 inch dubs on it or I'll drive to your house and smack you. I'm not that far away either. :p

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
doomsday said:
Those are nice, just don't put 22 inch dubs on it or I'll drive to your house and smack you. I'm not that far away either. :p
hell ****ing no.

·
see you at the 50
446 Posts
what the heck, is summit down the street from you or what? .... i'm jealous.. i have to wait a week for my **** to get here. i guess it's a good thing i don't have my motor in my truck yet, i may have actually been just stupid enough, just tired enough, and just drunk enough to run from the police the other night :(.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
yea vortec heads are cool, they flow great with small ports and small valves. That motor is basically set up to tep 330hp and make 20 mpg a possibility. like dooms said, that cam = mild. If you ever wanna get some more power later on, call up lunati/crane/comp cams and tell them your combo, and they'll send you a cam that will get you close to 400hp

1 - 15 of 15 Posts