Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thats Camaros and Firebirds from '82-'92, in case you didn't know.

I have an '87 IROC currently has a 305 TPI, white, T-top.

I'm building a 383 stroker, TH350 tranny, and a 9-bolt rearend.

·
He gon' get it!
2,799 Posts
1337, what happened?

Owner of a 350 1990 Iroc Z

EDIT: Oh, if you are going to be building a bigger engine like that, you may want to consider a 10-12 bolt rearend, and you had better beef up that th350 too.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Master of Paint said:
1337, what happened?

Owner of a 350 1990 Iroc Z

EDIT: Oh, if you are going to be building a bigger engine like that, you may want to consider a 10-12 bolt rearend, and you had better beef up that th350 too.
Na the 9-bolt will be fine. I've seen them handle up to 500 ft/lbs with no problems. The TH350 will be rebuilt and a shift kit.

check out
www.team3rdgen.com
www.thirdgen.org

·
Registered
778 Posts
Master of Paint said:
Oh, if you are going to be building a bigger engine like that, you may want to consider a 10-12 bolt rearend, and you had better beef up that th350 too.
LOL, a 10 bolt over a 9". ;0 rollin:

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
david_4x4 said:
Its not a 9" its a 9-bolt. Borg-Warner made them and GM used some in special option 3rd gens, like the WS6's and some IROC's. They still make them in Australia. They are kinda rare and pretty hard to find parts for.

They are also used in various Ford Falcons, Holden Commodores, Aussie R31 Skylines.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Kurt said:
Its not a 9" its a 9-bolt. Borg-Warner made them and GM used some in special option 3rd gens, like the WS6's and some IROC's. They still make them in Australia. They are kinda rare and pretty hard to find parts for.

They are also used in various Ford Falcons, Holden Commodores, Aussie R31 Skylines.
A misread. Then yes. I guess in this case upgrading to a 10 bolt would be better. :hug:

A 7.75" rearend isnt something I would want to depend on. Especially If I was building a 383 stroker.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
david_4x4 said:
A misread. Then yes. I guess in this case upgrading to a 10 bolt would be better. :hug:

A 7.75" rearend isnt something I would want to depend on. Especially If I was building a 383 stroker.
The 9-bolt uses a shorter distance between bearing caps than the 10-bolt giving it added strength. Another advantage over the 10-bolt is it uses pressed on tapered axle bearings allowing the axles to be bolted in instead of using c-clips. I've heard several people say the 9-bolt is stronger than the Dana 44. My car has a 10-bolt in it right now. It has 2.73s and drum brakes, the 9 has 3.45s and disc.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Kurt said:
The 9-bolt uses a shorter distance between bearing caps than the 10-bolt giving it added strength. Another advantage over the 10-bolt is it uses pressed on tapered axle bearings allowing the axles to be bolted in instead of using c-clips. I've heard several people say the 9-bolt is stronger than the Dana 44. My car has a 10-bolt in it right now. It has 2.73s and drum brakes, the 9 has 3.45s and disc.
It seems that it's only rated at 295hp. Now given I've seen lots of stuff that shouldnt last as long as one would think, such as some stuff done on Fords 8.8.

But everything has a stress point. Now given you're gonna beef this up some. It may be good, but if you run lots of power out of a 9 bolt. Parts seem expensive. I'd rather find something that lasts the 1st time or parts are cheap enough to replace over and over. :shrug:

I could be wrong.

·
teh car guy
1,292 Posts
david_4x4 said:
I was thinking the same thing myself? Why a 10 bolt over a 9''? But, i figured he meant 9 bolt since he was talking about a camaro. Its nice to have a 9'' one though; I've got one in my project 54 Ford F100 pickup.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts