Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i jus started playing the bass for about a month now and i want to know how u guys get better.
like private lessons?
instruction book?

·
Registered
905 Posts
i took private lessons for about 2 years to get all the basics down. after that you can pretty much teach yourself. try to learn how to read music. there are a wealth of books and instructional DVD's out there .

·
He gon' get it!
2,799 Posts
Well, I think it is best to teach yourself for about a year before you move onto lessons. This way, you get to form your own style of play, and not have to adjust to the way someone tells you to do something. Learning how to read music isnt really going to do too much for you at this point. Learn tabs first, they are easy to read and easy to learn a song from.

Bass requires strong fingers. Its all about speed and dexterity. You dont want your fingers to get tired because then youll slow down...miss notes...etc. What I did for guitar (and this works great for bass) is to get one of those finger exercisers that they sell at samash or guitarcenter. If you dont want to spend 15$ on that, then do what I did...squeeze a tennis ball in your freetime. Whenever your watching tv, or lounging around...just do it. Trust me, it will help out alot.

One last thing...dont give up on a song because you cant learn it in 5 minutes. You need to PRACTICE IT. Print out the tabs and study them, and the way you will have to move your fingers to get the notes right.

Great tab websites:
www.mxtabs.net
www.ultimate-guitar.com
www.tabrobot.com

·
don't drop the soap
3,895 Posts
I definitely disagree with playing yourself before taking lessons, especially if you know nothing about music beforehand. You'll never really understand music unless you get someone to teach you, and you'll just be reading tabs and playing stuff that 'sounds cool'

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh i play orchestra bass and its pretty much the same concept except u stand up and you dont use 3rd finger.
but thanks for the replies guys
i think i might pick up a bass technique book and i already study tabs n play a lot so i guess all thats left is practice

·
He gon' get it!
2,799 Posts
Gabriot said:
I definitely disagree with playing yourself before taking lessons, especially if you know nothing about music beforehand. You'll never really understand music unless you get someone to teach you, and you'll just be reading tabs and playing stuff that 'sounds cool'
Worked for me. Just my 2 cents. There is an internet full of things that can help you along. My theory is that maybe youll realize that after playing by yourself for a while that Guitar just isnt your thing...and then you didnt just waste hundreds on lessons.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
I have been playing guitar for 16 years and I just bought my first bass today. I got a Shecter Omen 4. Its pretty hot and I got a good deal on it. But yeah back on topic I think the best way to learn any instrument is just buy one and grab a crap-ton of tablature.

·
don't drop the soap
3,895 Posts
MR. Marsullus said:
My brother has played bass for a year.(I play guitar) I believe lessons are important to take early. Taking them can prevent bad habits self taught players sometimes gain. Lesson books dont provide the help that a teacher can help you with.
QFT

Seriously if you teach yourselfs just by looking at tabs and copying them to learn songs, you're not going to be able to grow as much in your musical knowledge. Seriously if you learn just a few scales you'll be able to figure out most any song these days within the first time of hearing it.

·
pink floyd>you
2,084 Posts
MR. Marsullus said:
My brother has played bass for a year.(I play guitar) I believe lessons are important to take early. Taking them can prevent bad habits self taught players sometimes gain. Lesson books dont provide the help that a teacher can help you with.
agreed. I didn't take private lessons for bass and ended up using only my index finger. So now..I suck. Bad habits are nasty to learn

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Man how can you just use your index finger? I use my index and my ring finger the most and every now and then I use my birdy but I gotta get some wheaties for my pinky if I plan on using that any time soon. I have been playing my new bass all day and got a nasty blister starting on the thumb side of my index finger near the part of the finger that meets the palm from sliding up and down the smooth part of the neck...its getting raw and stuff...

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I started playing guitar 2 years ago and I picked up bass in october. I have a squier p-bass affinity right now, and i'll be picking up a standard p-bass over the summer. I had already become accustomed to good form and playing styles from guitar so it wasn't that big a change. I use a pick for some songs (most of the green day covers we do I use a pick with... more of a bite) and my fingers for others. I still need to learn theory (what notes in the Keys and stuff) but I can get all that online.

·
Holy ****ing Asscrackers!
6,721 Posts
I think basic lessons are good for learning form, not just how to read music. if you learn how to play with bad form, it's VERY hard to un-learn it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts