Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to write 2 para on the raven... is it any good?

Thesis: Edgar Allen Poe’s poem The Raven evinces particular aspects of Romantic Literature.

The Raven employs words like “fearing”, “sorrow”, and “all my soul within me burning” to instill feeling in the reader and to emphasize the emotions the narrator is feeling, the definition of Romanticism in literature. The author goes through many emotions throughout the poem, as many feelings pop and jump like popcorn in his head: “Deep into the darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing/ Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortals ever dared to dream before;” The author’s use of emotion rather than logic to attempt to decipher the source of the sound coming from the darkness shows the reader its true place in Romanticism rather than Rationalism. His emotions overcome all other cognitive functions, showing his fear and the adrenaline rush he feels at the first suggestion of company in the lonely room that is his study.

The author’s consistent use of the “-or” sound, a morose-sounding suffix, sets the mood for the poem and its dark meanings. The raven utters the same word, “Nevermore”, over and over, signifying finality and a definite tone of death that tells the reader that “Lenore” is dead, and the raven is a metaphor for the narrator’s grief and wish to be rid of the sadness and the memory of the lost Lenore.

·
Registered
292 Posts
pretty damn good actually, what grade are you in?
id add a few more examples, spreading throughout the poem. Not only does this show the teacher your not bull****ting, but it shows the reader that you essay is relevant to the whole thing, very important in an english essay.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts

The Raven employs words like “fearing”, “sorrow”, and “all my soul within me burning” to instill feeling in the reader and to emphasize the emotions the narrator is feeling,the definition of Romanticism in literature.

The stuff after the comma doesn't really complete the though there..I'd either ge rid of the stuff after the comma or make it into a new sentence. Other than that it looked good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts