Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
m comp is litteraly retarded.

It freezes after like 35-45 minutes of being used! like the internet windows will stop ajnd I can't click anything and then when I do control lt delete it makes a sound and its like completely on lockdown and i have to flip the power switch.

wtf do i do?

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
^ right on. i recommend using(in this order) webroot spy sweeper, adaware, spybot, windows antispyware beta. Then download a good anitvirus such as avast or avg and run it. I just finished fixing a computer suffering from such symptoms. actually stuff like this is how i make most of my money!

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Are you running Win98? If so, there's your problem. If you're running XP, switch from Internet Explorer to Firefox. Run Ad-Aware, Spybot, AVG, etc etc, any virus programs you have. Reboot, run them again. Then download a good firewall. Then defrag your comp.

What's your comp specs? What are you running for RAM? Have you defragged lately?

-Jin

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Last time I defragmented was about 5 days ago.

I have windows XP home edition. and I use spybot - search and destroy and spyware blaster, both are up to date, though on search and destroy, it wont delete wildtangent.

I also am using firefox. What is a CPU fan?

also, my norton anti-virus is expired and has been for some time, but it still blocks attempted viruses.

·
Registered
216 Posts
if nothign works reformate you should do that at least once a year in my opion

·
Registered
216 Posts
put your windows cd in reboot and press f8 (that is mine atleast) when you reboot. you should boot from the cd

·
Shine on Rick Wright
3,235 Posts
Suicidal_Brick said:
Last time I defragmented was about 5 days ago.

I have windows XP home edition. and I use spybot - search and destroy and spyware blaster, both are up to date, though on search and destroy, it wont delete wildtangent.

I also am using firefox. What is a CPU fan?

also, my norton anti-virus is expired and has been for some time, but it still blocks attempted viruses.

A CPU Fan is basically a Fan that goes over the CPU located in the motherboard. Without it, the system can overheat.

·
PbF Supporter
4,738 Posts
Suicidal_Brick said:
What is a CPU fan?
The fan that sits on top of your processor that helps to cool it down. If your processor is hot, your computer will lag and freeze ALL the time... Not to mention if its not fixed fast, will most likely do permanent damage to itself. Leaving you with a great paper weight of a computer. If you play intense games, that will speed up this process dramatically.

·
Rubbish!
797 Posts
Jinjiro said:
Run Ad-Aware, Spybot, AVG, etc etc, any virus programs you have. Reboot, run them again. Then download a good firewall. Then defrag your comp.
Save yourself the trouble of running them twice. Install the anti-spyware programs, re-boot into safe mode, run the anti-spyware and antivirus scans. Spyware scans are a lot more effective when executed in safe mode, even with all the newer anti-spyware programs implementing the "remove on boot" feature.

Locking up CAN be caused by spyware, but it can also be caused by a plethora of other things (driver corruption/incompatibility, excessive heat, etc. etc.). If the spyware scans don't help, go into Start->Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Event Viewer, then select "System". Over in the right window, a large list of events will be shown. The majority of them should say "Information", and others will say "Warning" and "Error". Look back over the past couple of days at times when it was locking up and make note of source of each error. If removing spyware doesn't help, lets us know what those errors are.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I was running AVG my damn cmp froze!

anyways, the errors in red are all

"Service Control Manager"

but I am leavin for san fransisco in like 30 minutes so please post the info here and keep it alive (if you can) so I can read it when I get back or just PM me all your suggestions, thanks.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
wipe it and start over.

or you could always run something like knoppix(bootable form cd linux os) to test it out. just to double check that it isn't cpu fan issues. normally though if a cpu fan dies your computer just shuts down at about 5 min in all the time, every time.

·
don't drop the soap
3,895 Posts
Run your device manager and tell me all the hardware you can find with an exlamation point by it. 90 percent of the time stuff like this is a problem with your drivers, hardware, etc. Can be caused by numerous things, spyware, viruses, etc.

·
Premium Member
16,148 Posts
check for spyware with the usual programs- s/d, adaware, etc
then do a defrag
then download AVG anti virus, its free and imo better than norton. do a virus scan with that
if all that doesnt work, your best bet is to reformat

1 - 16 of 16 Posts