Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you know if you can take a pocket knife aboard or is it like airplane security? Do they have metal detectors? It seems like an odd question, but I hate being without a knife (and in most cases the other implements in a multi-tool). I was planning on taking a Swiss Army knife, even though it is much cheaper then what I usually carry I would still feel bad if it was confiscated. If you can't bring them on board does anyone remember if they sell pocket knives in the souvineer shops? Hehe, you can tell i'm all bent out of shape over this.:eek:

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
you can bring em on board.... at least u used to. sadly enough the last cruise i went on was pre 9/11, i dunno if they changed anything but i highly doubt it. your on a boat, your not gonna hijack a boat and crash it, your in the middle of the ocean with 100's of people against you, so having metal detectors would be stupid, plus considering its really no different from a hotel, hotels dont have metal detectors...

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I've had no problems bringing my "Leatherman Wave" onto a cruise, which is a heck of a lot scarier looking then a swiss-army knife.

They are much more leniant then airports, but don't bring a valuable one. This way, if they put up a stink, you can just tell them to keep it.

Nick

·
Banned
3,571 Posts
no metal detectors, i don't think. you can probably bring a knife, just not a machine gun or anything... I was on one this past February, now i've totally forgotten it. :(

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mehdiballer said:
u should be ok, even though i dont get the part about not being able to go anwhere without a knife. thats pretty weird
I've been carrying a knife since I was 7, forgetting it is like forgetting my pants. I think I have used it everyday since then too. I especially don't want to go out on a ship without one. More people die getting tangled in lines and rope underwater then any kind of shark. I'm amazed how no one carries a knife today, 25 years ago everyone carried a knife, not for defense, but for pure utility. I guess in an age of computers no one needs to know how to do anything manuelly. In this day and age we are too self-reliant on other people to do things for us.:eek:

·
Registered
416 Posts
the port will make u go through metal detectors, and if u put in in your bags the customs guys will find it. theyll consider it a weapon, and if u buy one in a port theyre take it when u reboard the ship cuz u go through more security.

·
Registered
905 Posts
just put it in one of your suitcases until you get on the boat then your free. but if you have to fly to the port you are leaving from make sure you put it in checked baggage cuz they will take it if its in your carry-ons

·
Registered
214 Posts
i also like to bring a knife with me when i go out, cuz you never know when you could get lost in the woods and you have to make a fort.

but anyways, a LOOOng ways back i was watching love boat and this one episode, the passengers had to go thru a metal detector before getting on the boat.

but paint is right... if a bin laden did in fact hijack the boat (KNOCK ON WOOD) what would he crash into? an oil rig? .... altho that would be cool

·
Premium Member
16,148 Posts
if you keep it hidden in your bag then it will pass through the detectors right before you board the ship. But it may depend where you are because i just got back from my NCL cruise, and there were metal detectors before you got on the ship, but they didnt search anyone.

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I'm back. I walked right through with a Swiss Army knife. Maybe the fact that I was wearing a Customs shirt helped?:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts