Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
0 Posts
No expert but i think that getting win xp on the mac using bootcamp on leopard and then firewire from the mac into the pc would do it.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
No expert but i think that getting win xp on the mac using bootcamp on leopard and then firewire from the mac into the pc would do it.
rofl. you're right, you aren't an expert. You can't connect the mac osx side of bootcamp to the XP side. There two seperate installations of OS, aka dual boot. Only one can be booted at a time.

I would say just get an external harddrive or some other type of storage media, and transfer everything onto there then onto the new computer. The files are the same type regardless. It might just have you authorize some songs when you go to play them on the new computer.

·
0 Posts
rofl. you're right, you aren't an expert. You can't connect the mac osx side of bootcamp to the XP side. There two seperate installations of OS, aka dual boot. Only one can be booted at a time.
That explains a lot, ty for the info.

I would say just get an external harddrive or some other type of storage media, and transfer everything onto there then onto the new computer. The files are the same type regardless. It might just have you authorize some songs when you go to play them on the new computer.
Come to think of it that's what i did, but with only 15gb of music from my xp laptop into the mac. Took ages to copy out of the laptop and again ages to copy into the mac, stupid USB connection.

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
Either copy it over to a external or see if you can get the two on a wireless connection and share with each other. Then just drag the files over through my network places. I know I've done it with 2 XP computers over wireless and it should work either way.

·
Registered
588 Posts
If you dont have an external HD, transfer across network is easiest. Also, connect both with ethernet cables and the transfer will be much faster than wireless.

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Network connection would work fine. Just be sure both your network cables are Cat5E, not Cat5. Also, pray to God that you have a Gigabit NIC on both the laptop and desktop, as well as a Gigabit router or switch.

Otherwise....Well, otherwise just do it before you go to bed. thumup:

-Jin

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
You can get flash drives cheap now. Just buy a flash drive and do a couple cut and pastes.. If you have USB 2.0 properly configured, it shouldn't be too bad. I figure roughly a minute a gigabyte.

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
You can get flash drives cheap now. Just buy a flash drive and do a couple cut and pastes.. If you have USB 2.0 properly configured, it shouldn't be too bad. I figure roughly a minute a gigabyte.
I just tested this out with one of my USB 2.0 port. Here's what I found:

File Size: .98 Gig (a bunch of MP3s)
Flash Drive: Patriot XPorter 16GB, formatted to NTFS
USB Settings: Optimized for performance, not removal (an XP setting)
Hard Drive: SATA 3.0
Time: 3 minutes, 13 seconds (from hd to flash drive)

Now, this will vary depending on the flash drive, but as you can see it will take a while. The problem is that the speeds you hear for USB are usually burst, and not sustained.

Here are the results for moving the same file of MP3s over my network. Note that I do NOT have a Gigabit switch. I also have NetMeter running, so I can give you some more information.

Switch: Random SMC switch that supports 10/100
Comp 1: Gigabit NIC 10/100/1000 (this does not matter, since the switch & Comp 2 only support 10/100)
Comp 2: 10/100 NIC
UL Speed: 12MB/s
Time: Less than 2 minutes!

So according to this quick test, it looks like a network transfer is faster. However, it's always nice to have a 16GB flash drive, so if time isn't a huge issue you may want to go that route regardless.

-Jin

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
I just tested this out with one of my USB 2.0 port. Here's what I found:

File Size: .98 Gig (a bunch of MP3s)
Flash Drive: Patriot XPorter 16GB, formatted to NTFS
USB Settings: Optimized for performance, not removal (an XP setting)
Hard Drive: SATA 3.0
Time: 3 minutes, 13 seconds (from hd to flash drive)

Now, this will vary depending on the flash drive, but as you can see it will take a while. The problem is that the speeds you hear for USB are usually burst, and not sustained.

Here are the results for moving the same file of MP3s over my network. Note that I do NOT have a Gigabit switch. I also have NetMeter running, so I can give you some more information.

Switch: Random SMC switch that supports 10/100
Comp 1: Gigabit NIC 10/100/1000 (this does not matter, since the switch & Comp 2 only support 10/100)
Comp 2: 10/100 NIC
UL Speed: 12MB/s
Time: Less than 2 minutes!

So according to this quick test, it looks like a network transfer is faster. However, it's always nice to have a 16GB flash drive, so if time isn't a huge issue you may want to go that route regardless.

-Jin
Hmmm, I didn't consider the fact that I was moving blu ray rips which were 5-15gb a piece. I would assume it would transfer faster my moving less files and what not. I didn't know an ethernet connection would transfer that quickly, damn.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts