Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Silly Boston Its no Bomb
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i've been playing comp games since i was 7 thumup: yea im a nerd when i get to my pc. ive been thinking about what im gonna go to college for at first i thought id take sum business courses and open a paintball field but now im thinking about creating computer games since i have a lot of game ideas and have played tons of em. Anyone else ever thought of this career or is anyone on here a computer game designer if so how do u like it? I head they make like an average of 61,000 =0 a year out of like 1900 surveyed that r

·
I was saving that bacon
7,177 Posts
I have 4 friends that are going into game designing. Two of them are going to ITT tech and the other 2 went to florida to some school down there. As for the pay, well, you shouldnt expect to get more than 35,000 your first year.

·
Silly Boston Its no Bomb
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea ive seent he ITT tech chamercials looks intresting but if i can find a state college that has computer game deisgning coarses then my parents would buy me a car.

·
I was saving that bacon
7,177 Posts
I dont know of any right off that has game design. But im sure they do, the school in florida was very very expensive to attend. I talked to one of the guys at ITT tech yesterday, and he said their tests were rediculously easy. All open book and such So far.

·
Silly Boston Its no Bomb
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well you do need art if u dont wanna hire someone to sketch for u unless theres a way to do the character disigning on the computer which there probably is. I suck at drawing. But open book tests damn! I wanna go there lol ill start saving after football and ill save for my own car

and lol theres gonna be a jackass game? Wth r u gonna do in it

Edit- Im sketching characters and monsters and stuff and setting plot out for lvling i wanna make a rp and pvp game cuz i love em any character ideas?

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
game art and design man. here ill link you to the page. and yeah a jackass game is coming not sure on what it'll be about yet but i found out on the developers forums.

·
Silly Boston Its no Bomb
2,195 Posts

·
Silly Boston Its no Bomb
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
XtremeAaron said:
and get paid to do.
yea that would be a sweet job just creating cool characters and selling em for major cash. Like blizzard had a drawing contest and the winner got 10,000

·
Registered
309 Posts
pballa12 said:
I head they make like an average of 61,000 =0 a year out of like 1900 surveyed that r

$61,000 a year is high on an average. Thats almost the average of what a Lawyer, and a few thousand away from a Chemical Engineer. I'd do a little more research before telling people about that.

·
Silly Boston Its no Bomb
2,195 Posts

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Rochester Institute of Technology FTW!

We're the first school to offer a Masters in Game Development, and by next year we will be the first school to offer a Bachelors in Game Development.

Aside from the Masters, we also offer concentrations in Game Development for the IT and CS majors. And we have an IT: Web and Games major that focuses on smaller games, such as Flash games.

-Jin

·
Silly Boston Its no Bomb
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jinjiro said:
Rochester Institute of Technology FTW!

We're the first school to offer a Masters in Game Development, and by next year we will be the first school to offer a Bachelors in Game Development.

Aside from the Masters, we also offer concentrations in Game Development for the IT and CS majors. And we have an IT: Web and Games major that focuses on smaller games, such as Flash games.

-Jin
sounds sweet is it expensive tho?

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
It's about $33,000 if you live on campus. They've got good scholarship and financial aid programs though. I live at home, and I'll tell you right now I pay nothing near $33k.

By the way, EVERYONE wants to be a game designer. If you're serious about it, plan on learning a TON of C/C++ (and being EXCELLENT at it), competing with a lot of very smart students, working hard, and getting paid very little.

If you are interested though, RIT is an excellent place for it.

-Jin

·
Silly Boston Its no Bomb
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
is there a way to make flash games before taking college courses like just simple ones. Like the ones on addictinggames or sum on miniclips

1 - 20 of 34 Posts