Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been playing this a lot for the past month or so. Definitely the best military strategy game I've ever played. Way better than Command and Conquer and Real War. The graphics are insane and the gameplay is solid. Some of the future military technology used in the game is pretty amazing. And I think the realistic storyline is the best part, I've never read a Dale Brown book before but supposedly he's a former Air Force Officer and best-selling author who helped develop the game.

Can't wait for the game to come out. I think in a week or so. Has anyone played this demo yet?

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/actofwardirectaction/index.html

·
Premium Member
3,281 Posts
rear war is one of the ****test games ever created... C&C and Red alert are awesome though...

I played the Act of War demo.. it seems pretty sweet. Needs a little polish but the final product should be awesome.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BZ said:
I played the Act of War demo.. it seems pretty sweet. Needs a little polish but the final product should be awesome.
Yeah, for sure. One thing I'm really looking forward to in the official game is all of the live-action footage integrated into the game. Over an hour of 35mm film supposedly, which should really add to the realism and an element not found in most games.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gabriot said:
Just seems like a normal nothing special rts to me. Nothing over the top here, and Red Alert in it's hayday was more than this game could ever dream to be.
Yeah well, we'll see soon enough. Tommorow is the big day: Act of War is officially released in the U.S. on March 15th. I agree that this might not be the PERFECT game, but I think it will provide a ton of entertainment/replay value and should be pretty groundbreaking. I can't wait to see how all of the live-action film turns out.

AoW has jumped into the top 10 rankings at gamespot so you better start playing it soon if you want to kick some multiplayer azz. :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK- I finally got my official copy of Act of War and here is my brief 1st impression.

What really sticks out is that you don't look at it in terms of mission 1, mission 2, etc. because all of the live-action cut scenes are blended in so well (and there's so MANY) that it seriously feels like an interactive movie/story. I've never really had that feeling from an RTS game before and it adds a LOT to the overall enjoyment of the game.

I only played multiplayer for an hour or so and was getting my azz kicked. :( I must have overestimated my skills and UNDERestimated the popularity of this game: Ranked #5 on gamespot with an 8.7 rating. Ah well, a couple hundred more hours under my belt and I'll be able to dominate. :p

Anyone else play this yet? I'll be down for some multiplayer action once I get a little better.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
666paintballer said:
its been sitting on my hard drive for awhile. will probably install it tonight
Well, what do you think?

I love the reaction people get when they walk in while I'm playing AoW and there's one of the live-action cut scenes playing. At first they think it's a movie, but then I take control of those soldiers they just saw on TV and they don't have a clue whats going on until I explain the game to them. :p

Here's a good "hands-on" review where the guy makes a good comparison to the show 24. It feels like you're in the middle of something like that.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/actofwardirectaction/preview_6120555.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts