Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'd like to get an apex barrel when I get an sp-1 or vibe, just curious what I need.

I know I need:

-Apex Tip
-a barrel that is compatible with an apex that fits on a SP-1

But do I need one of those "freak" things or whatever (backs I think they're called)

Also what barrels will fit? There's that All-American 16" but I have no idea if it fits a vibe/sp-1, as I don't know much about smart parts guns

Thanks guys

·
Paintball?
7,646 Posts
Well, if you go with the freak barrel system, you will need the apex tip, freak back in ion threads, and a freak insert

Lapco also makes an apex ready barrel that doesn't require you to buy anything but that barrel

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Banned
14,001 Posts
there are smart parts threads, people really need to start using the correct terms to avoid confusion, there is no such thing as ion threads, impulse threads or sp1 threads, there are smart parts threads thats all, all smart parts markers currently in production use SP threads

·
Banned
14,001 Posts
the insert goes in the back, ok so since paintballs are a little different in sizes throughout the market if you are shooting paint made by company X it will be .679 in size, so you use a .679 or .680 insert in the barrel so you will get the best performance out of the barrel, then the next day you are using paint made by company Z which is .690 so you use the .690 or .691 (i dont remember the sizes) insert to get the most out of it (and also because if you try to put a .69 ball in a .67 hole you have a issue) basically using inserts is a good way to improove your accuracy and efficiancy

now that aside my personal opinion on the freak + apex is that you are loosing any accuracy gain you are getting with the freak when you put spin on the ball, so you will still have better efficiancy but i dont think that is worth the money you are dropping on the kit in order to get maybe 100 extra shots off a 68/4500 or 20oz

holy crap and this is costing you $180 without the tip!?!?!?!

look into the deadlywind fibur, it is a carbon fiber barrel that also uses the freak inserts, when i got mine i got it for around $150, thats barrel and full freak system

IMO best performance barrel on the market

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nice just checked out the deadly wind,
i think i'll buy that, and a .689 and whatever the biggest cal insert is (incase the 689 is too small) to save some money instead of the whole kit.

EDIT: do I need a back for the insert with this setup?

·
Banned
14,001 Posts
no the DW fibur is just the barrel, no back needed, it will need an insert though, you can not shoot paint through it without a insert in it

without the full freak you are kinda not getting the most out of the barrel, i mean sure its one of the lightest barrels on the market but not having the kit is not using it to its potential

1 - 10 of 10 Posts