Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
V8 Interceptor
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here ever literally assembled any computer parts?
I'm planning on doing so rather soon.

Basically, I havn't decided whether or not to go with AMD or Intel.
My friend says AMD is buggy, yet I can't seem to resist the 64 Bit Athalon, when he tells me I should go with a Pentium 4 3200-3400 Mhz.

Obviously, which processor I select will directly affect what Motherboard I can use, but what I'm really after are any tips anyone can give..
Things like, Proper grounding techniques (Standing on concrete, touching the case etc) and other such things for assembling a Motherboard and surrounding internals.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edit- I'm too cool for proper spelling in my thread titles......

·
Registered
905 Posts
it would help us alot more if you could give us some background on what you are going to be using the computer for, but it doesnt matter that much. If you are going to play alot of games then definatly go with an AMD. Makesure the motherboard you get is a socket 939. as far as grounding you should wear rubber sole shoes to prevent building up static electricity. Also dont use magnetized tool when you are assembling the PC.

·
V8 Interceptor
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Ninja!

The comp will be based around preformance, rather than %90 of people basing their comps around funds. I'm leaning towards an AMD Athalon 64 Bit, yet my friend says they're incompatible with some things. He's going to ask his employer (Comp. Technicians, actually) next time he gets a chance as to what they meant. Worse comes to Worst, I can return the processor for a refund (*crosses fingers*).

I'll also attempt to overclock the processor, anyway. As of right now, I have to do things in order..

A) Decide on Processor, which leads to:
B) Decide on Motherboard, which leads to:
C) Decide on PC Case

All the rest is gravy.

·
He gon' get it!
2,799 Posts
I have an AMD athalon 64 2.4 gig, and never had a problem with it being incompatible with something. It runs all my games perfect. Combined with 768mb of ram I can play Unreal Tournament 2k4 with all settings on high. It also uses powernow technology and operates at a speed according to the application you are using (great for laptops)

D

·
0 Posts
wait, if you get a super good computer.. what will mark do! poor kid.. having the best computer is the only thing hes known for.. maybe hed just get his dad to buy more junk.

kurts getting an alienware too isnt he?

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
i'm a computer tech. catch me on aim sometime this week and i'll answer any and all questions that you may have.

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
I could be a computer tech, I know pretty much everything needed. Building a comp for the first time is going to be fun and exciting, but also really frustrating. If you need any help, feel free to contact me.

I'd say go AMD. I've built plenty of comps using AMD CPUs, and they've all worked flawlessly. When I did have a problem (didn't realize the FSB needed to be changed) AMD's customer service was quick to help me out. Great people to deal with.

-Jin

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
For gaming? AMD 64
For video editing/music compiling/boring stuff like that? Intel
For casual gaming and internet surfing? AMD XP

AMDs also tend to run hella cooler than Intel processors. This is a big advantage imo. If you're OC'ing, AMDs tend to take OC'ing a lot better than Intels, at least from stories I've heard. I personally don't OC so I can't help you there.

Make sure you get socket 939, and things like that. Remember, good RAM is CRUCIAL!! If you don't have good RAM, you're ****ed over no matter what. Hell, good RAM and a good video card and a good processor are all key components. They can all bottleneck each other if one sucks.

Here is what I would recommend:
AMD 64
Socket 939 Motherboard (nForce chipset for sure)
OCZ makes good RAM...so does Kingston (Hyper-X)
nVidia 6800 Ultra

that's just off the top of my head. IM me if you need any help, I do this **** all the time.

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Pr0ph3t said:
Remember, good RAM is CRUCIAL!!
Literally. Good RAM is Crucial. Crucial's a great brand, and as said so is Kingston. If you go with Kingston, be sure to not get the cheap bargain RAM. You want better than that.

-Jin

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
OCZ is hands down (through my reading and tiny bit of experience) the BEST RAM for overclocking. This is from hardcore overclockers telling me this. I ran some OCZ in my old rig and it ****ing rocked. Some of the best damn RAM I've ever used.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
i don't know if its due to my prescott core p4, or due to my ram, but i really can't do much if any oc'in on my current system.

·
V8 Interceptor
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll be going with an ATI card indefinitly. No offense to Nvidia and the fans of the Geforce, but I'm a hardcore ATI Fan..

Thanks for the great information, it's really helpful and appreciated.
I knew about the 939 Socket compatibility issue, yet I'm still looking for what people refer to as the best Mobo for this..

Also, I need at LEAST 3 PCI Slots.. Any less is a waste of time.

If the AMD runs smoother, has more power, and has a lower operating temperature than the Intel, I think my mind may be set. I still need to find a PC Case that will fit the Motherboard, too....

Now, do the sticks of RAM Crucial makes come in 1 Gig? I'd most likely go for 2 sticks of 1 Gig.

·
V8 Interceptor
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's kinda' given...
I wouldn't spend thousands of dollars on computer peripherals only to peter out on the Memory :).

Speaking of memory, I'm looking into a 7,200 RPM 140-160 Gig Hard Disk. I'll basically just partition it a few times.

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
I think most mobo's come standard with 3 PCI slots, so you prolly don't have to worry about that. I usually use ASUS mobo's for my basic systems, and they all run smooth and perfect. Someone else might have a better suggestion, but my experience w/ ASUS has been excellent so far.

As for the case, I think a standard ATX tower will work. I'm not sure if a 939 socket mobo has different dimensions (haven't looked up much info on the 64b AMDs), but a mid-size tower will prolly suit you fine.

-Jin

1 - 20 of 29 Posts