Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
i haz teh titties
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm dealing with a difficult case at work. We have a girl who is going to be 18 in a few weeks and she's at our residential program. Lets call her Gina (legally can't say her name.) Our residential program is a place where young adults/teenagers with mental health and behavioral issues learn independent living skills like cleaning, saving money, going to school and work blah blah blah.

Gina has Asperger's, a form of high functioning autism. Asperger's is like social dyslexia, they fear conversations about things that aren't familiar to them so they recall and repeat things they have seen/heard in conversations even if it isn't appropriate or related to what you were talking about. Gina has taken to stealing from people. A lot if there is a cell phone out in the open, she'll steal it and call some dude shes been stalking. She stole the ps2 off of the program, stole another resident's laptop, whatever she can get her hands on. The weird thing is that when she gets caught she has absolutely no emotions about it whatsoever. You yell at her and she just looks at you. You can ground her or take things away she doesn't care. I think she steals because she can't relate to other people's emotions. Someone with asperger's said that he didn't know that other people had feelings for most of his life. Maybe something as obviously immoral as stealing doesn't seem that way because she doesn't understand that people have feelings and that when you steal its bad because it hurts people.

I don't know what do you guys think? If anyone has experience with asperger's how do you make them understand feelings?

I know I'm going out on a limb with you guys but thanks for the read. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Its never lupus
9,169 Posts
My cousin has autism. He doesn't steal stuff, he just puts edits movies and repeats lines from the jungle book.

If he doesn't understand the feelings of others he'll still understand his own. Thus punishing works well. I really have no experience though, isn't this the kind of stuff you should know in your line of work?

·
i haz teh titties
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have a college degree, hardly anyone does where I work. We just have a really broad understanding of mental health issues from our experiences at work. We're not really there help kids like this. We're just supposed to keep them in the building and safe. I'm trying to do this to help her because she's about to live on the streets if she doesn't shape up.

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
The only thing I can really recommend is that there are a lot of books out there on the subject, you might be able to find something worth while out there. My roommate is a Special Education major and I was a Psychology major (now a Psychology minor). Both of us learned plenty about various autistic forms, but he knows more about the best treatments than I do. If he wasn't on vacation now I could ask him for you. If you're still having trouble remind me around the second or third week of January, I can get in touch then and he might be able to help. Especially since he spends a lot of time working around people with disabilities, specifically around mental functioning disabilities.

·
i haz teh titties
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks dooms. this girl is going to get booted from the program and end up homeless if something isn't done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts