Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Let's hug it out
4,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ophelia is a booty-call

This is my opinion in the book Hamlet because...

Shakespeare doesn't like Italians....But he only uses Italian names.
Now I'm connecting that to Earnest Hemingway's "A farewell to arms"...that book is about WW2 and during the part i'm going to quote is when American Nurses are in Italia...One nurse says to another "In the end, no matter what the italian says, the only woman an italian boy loves is mother."

Well seeing that Shakespeare only uses italian names i thought this quote would fit nicely with what shakespeare wants out of his stories because he and Hemingway seemingly hate italians.

During Hamlet, Hamlet goes crazy (atleast to outsiders that don't see his deeper meanings). He hates his uncle and loves his mom...and going back into the text, you can see that the ghost of Hamlets father wants to keep the queen innocent to the devil AKA Claudius (the current king) using biblical references of a serpeant...

Anywayz....Hamlet's goal is to take down the king yet leave his mom innocent. Well...Since Hamlet goes crazy, he ends up killing Polonius (Ophelia's dad) in pent up rage and not knowing that it was Polonius and not Claudius. Well Dead fathers seem to make people crazy in this book, so Ophelia goes crazy as well. And in her state of craziness she sings a song that talks about her sleeping with hamlet because hamlet says he'll marry her. Yet after sex he doops her and tells her "oh we would have married if we didn't have sex"

I guess since that pre-marital sex was considered a sin labeling a person no matter the nobility as a WHORE, and princes can't marry whores that ya know even with Ophelias extreme hottness her Vag isn't useable anymore...sucks don't it?

So Hamlet uses Ophelia as a bootycall...especially seeing that Hamlet is like 30 and Ofelia is 17...bound to happen, but cuz of age no pron could be made...sorry to you Medieval Pron Loving Net kids

But just for fun lets continue talking about this whole Italian/Shakespeare thing...

Claudius is also in for one thing, using the queen as more of a sex machine rather than a wife. So in the book, i forget where, but Claudius's goals were stated. I believe it was in the part where Hamlet talks to his ghostly father figure.

Well Claudius' goals are 1. The Crown and 2. The Queen.

if context clues aren't enough for you (they state crown first then queen) then think about this...In the end where everyone is about to die (why hamlet is considered a tragedy), Claudius poisons hamlets drink in an effort to kill him without the Queen blaming Claudius and without Shouts of Treason.

Claudius was able to stop the queen from drinking for a split second. The queen pauses just slightly just to tell him "no f* you, a girls gotta get her drink on" and sips away at straight poison. During the pause Claudius had the opportunity to stop the queen to tell her it's poison but that would cause him to lose the crown, the first goal. But since he didn't tell her - he lost his second goal, the queen.

Well that just about says it, in shakespeares world women = made for sex

TLDR - expect a brother in 9 months...i'll use a condom next time

//discuss

D

·
0 Posts
hamlet actually loved ophelia, but he couldnt stand her for being so weak and submitting to her father's orders.

and it's not a tragedy just because everyone dies, it's a tragedy because of the changes Hamlet goes through. He's the tragic hero, with the tragic flaw.

·
Let's hug it out
4,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't see the love between Him and Ophelia...if you BELIEVE the statements that Ophelia makes while crazy as true, it seems like the relationship would lead to marriage rather than withdrawal to a stronger relationship.

And i know the definition of Tragedy, i just left it short to reduce length and get to the point with "more matter with a little less art"

D

·
0 Posts
Well that just about says it, in shakespeares world women = made for sex
if you take The Taming of the Shrew as a satire than that really undermines this. And Lady Macbeth was shown to have the opportunistic and aggressive traits that we commonally associate with men, and as a rather sexless character.

edit, and Measure for Measure exposes hypocrtical male rulers for theyre shallow and hedonistic attitudes towards women.

Id intreprete Claudius failure to warn Gertrude as emphasis not that they just sex the women, but that they are so power corrupt and lustful for it that they'll sacrifice even their love for it.

·
Let's hug it out
4,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
would you honestly like me to edit this so it's a bit more refined rather than having failed comedy thrown in bits and pieces around the informal essay?

if you really want me to, i'll make one after school tomorrow and post it underneath the current article

D

·
0 Posts
would you honestly like me to edit this so it's a bit more refined rather than having failed comedy thrown in bits and pieces around the informal essay?
hahaha, nah im just a prude.

But if ophelia was just a **** and chuck, why was she in the play? To emphasize shakespeare's misogyny? I dunno, I thought she served a few other purposes.

(bah, I should be writing an essay on Edward the Second right now, not commenting on here. haha any chance you've got some theories on this play that I could steal?)

·
Let's hug it out
4,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, we were talking a lot about her in class today and that was just one thing that came to my head that i felt like i could expand upon. I don't think she's more than streetside bimbo but it does feel like that Hamlet's intentions were a bit more shallow in comparison to what Ophelia spoke of during her conversation with Polonius.

She also sort of resembles Hamlet's soul throughout the entire play...

At the beginning there were no problems, just suspicions about the two of them. As Hamlet became a bit more distraught after having seen the ghost, the relationship between the two seems a tad bit darker. Hamlet is mad at her for being weak, everyone suspects his madness for love, etc...

After polonius' death, she goes completely ludacris. Hamlet is sent away and realizes that he no longer wants to plan his ideas about getting back at claudius he wants to take actions.

After Ophelia's death, He is forced into a no-turning-back bout with the best fencer in the world who is equipped with a poisoned sword under the watchful eye of claudius. Where something is just going to go wrong.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts