Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Allen
5,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help with mah new trucks. I have two trucks I got today in trade. One is a Traxxas T-max 3.3 nitro truck and the other is a Sportwerks Mayhem I think. I have 2 gallons of fuel (1 of 20% and 1 of 25% nitro) and controllers for both. There is a tool box full of parts I still have to go pick up too.

I borrowed a buddies start and tried to get the T-maxx started but couldnt get it to start. Any one have any Ideas? Heres some pics thumup:

I am a nitro R/C noob so feel free to add any helpful advice.

·
Pointless thread poster
576 Posts
Flush the fuel system. The guy you bought the trucks from may have been useing the wrong % of nitro. If that doesnt work,it might be your ignition starter within the truck.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Its more than just that though, you've got to make sure its not running to rich, or to lean. If you have either, it sometimes won't start. You can probably check out online to see where a good starting point is.

I don't know much about electric starters though, and I assume you are using one for this thing. Maybe you have old glow plugs?

Check out The RC Zone if you get a chance. I still troll the site years after being in RC. The website was really helpful when I was in RC, but it seems to be dying down. Actually, the entire sport seems to be dying down.

·
Pointless thread poster
576 Posts
how do I know what % of nitro to use in which truck?
Its sorta like mixing gas and oil in a dirt bike, too much oil (nitro) will cause it to somewhat clog and smoke alot and too less oil (nitro) will make the bike (truck) not start properly and it will burn up and still smoke alot. It wil just take some exprimenting with different percents of nitro. You can also take the tuck to a shop and have them take a look at it.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
20% should be fine, check your glow plug at the top of the engine, see if it heats up and turns red/orange when you roll the starter. These things are very finikky to tune as well. I would suggest going to traxxas' website and find a manual/tuning guide. Or hit me up on ******* for more details.

·
Banned
14,001 Posts
20% in the t-max, idk about the other engine, take a look at the manual for the engine, reset the carb to stock settings and start from there, also go pick up a few glo-plugs, i suggest the hot glo plugs (the hobbie shop people will know what your talking about if you ask for "hot" glo plugs) they dont last as long as the standard ones but they make starting it a lot easier, i highly suggest you ditch the e-z start system, it is to the RC world what the flatline barrel is to the paintball world, it sounds all good and fine but doesnt really do what it promises. (in my opinion there was nothing easy about it, more like pain-in-the-ass-start)

without having a pull start on it it is going to be hard to tell if it still has good compression

the other truck, although im not familiar with that model, it doesnt look like it has a pull start on it (unless i just cant see it in that photo) if it indeed doesnt that means it is set up for a bump start, and unless you have a bump box already your not going to be able to start it. you will also need a glo plug ignightor for that truck, once you get one all you will need to convert the t-max to a pull start is the pull start assembly (watch out the wind spring likes to fly out on these) i think it was around $15 but i bought mine years ago

·
Allen
5,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I got it cranked and it drove about 5 feet before it dies. I got it set back to the original settings and it fired up after some priming and crankin on it for a min or two. But it will take off and go about 5 feet then die or run for about 1 min idling before it dies.

·
Banned
14,001 Posts
ya when you get it started gun the engine, they need to warm up fast, a lot of times people will just hold them in the air and gun the engine for 10 seconds or so, once its warm it should idel no problem, if it still doesnt you have to do a little tinkering, the easiest way is to use the throttle trim on the controler, the problem with that though is as you increase the throttle you will be putting more and more slack into the breaks that will have to be made up when you hit them (there will be more of a delay before they engage)

O!!! one VERY important thing i almost forgot to mention, keep a very close eye on that throttle servo, specificly the plastic that surounds the screws, if you see any cracks in it, replace it before running it again, the one on my rustler back when i had it broke loose and jerked on the throttle(traxxas uses a lot of sub-par parts and materials), melted my break rotor and would have thrown the rod if i didnt kill the engine, thats another thing, if you ever need to kill the engine fast just plug the exhaust, it will throw more fuel into the engine and flood it

·
Allen
5,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Still havent had much luck with the tmaxx yet. I got the gear box for the trucks today and it had the bump starter for the mayhem in it :D plus a bunch of other bnib parts. I got the mayhem runnin pretty good in about 15min. I set it down to run it a lil and the thing sticks at WOT lol. So im chasing this damn car across the yard, the remote is not responding, then finally it hits a bush and i get it shut off. pretty funny stuff, turns out the battery died on the car and it has some type of rechargeable batt and I dont have the charger for it.

im gonna screw around with the tmaxx some more prolly in a lil bit. I'm kinda tempted to order a new motor for it but not sure yet.

·
Banned
14,001 Posts
sounds to me like the compression is down, it is hard to tell without a pull start, but after 10 gallons or so of fuel they tend to need a new piston and sleeve ($40 back when i had to get them) because they loose compression, and the first sympoms are hard to start and not being able to idel, the good thing about traxxas is they are everywhere so chances are your local shop will stock parts

1 - 14 of 14 Posts