Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 30 years old and haven't played paintball since my early college days, maybe even high-school 馃槄. Long story short, I come to find that this year will be the very last Oklahoma D-Day event. Ever since I was a kid I always wanted to go but never managed to make it. I'm not missing this one!

I dug through a box of my old stuff and found my A5 and 98 custom from the early 2000s. I got everything tore down, cleaned up, and rebuilt with fresh o rings and lube. My A5 has a tac stock, holographic scope, and a hammerhead rifled barrel. I ordered a cyclone feed upgrade kit and a double trigger. The 98 will be my back up, I have a new stock on the way for it and I'm thinking about one of the CP 30$ barrels.

I'm excited to get back into it !

Administrator
I went in 2015 and while I'm glad I went, I have no intention of going back. I had major safety concerns with that game

2 things for that game

1) play on the German side, seriously. Everyone wants to play on the allied side because rah rah murica but a LOT of the units lose sight that is a game, take it way to seriously and it is just no fun any longer. We had an ACTIVE DUTY serviceman come into our camp mid way through the week and ask if he could switch sides because the unit he was with was so serious and basically hateful towards the German players that he didn't want to be a part of it. He was on vacation and not having any fun

2) Camelback, this is A REQUIREMENT. players get taken out of this game in ambulances because of heat exhaustion. Stay hydrated! This is also another reason to play German, the Germans are on top of the hill... In the shade....while the allies are trying to climb it, in the sun and 110F heat

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went in 2015 and while I'm glad I went, I have no intention of going back. I had major safety concerns with that game

2 things for that game

1) play on the German side, seriously. Everyone wants to play on the allied side because rah rah murica but a LOT of the units lose sight that is a game, take it way to seriously and it is just no fun any longer. We had an ACTIVE DUTY serviceman come into our camp mid way through the week and ask if he could switch sides because the unit he was with was so serious and basically hateful towards the German players that he didn't want to be a part of it. He was on vacation and not having any fun

2) Camelback, this is A REQUIREMENT. players get taken out of this game in ambulances because of heat exhaustion. Stay hydrated! This is also another reason to play German, the Germans are on top of the hill... In the shade....while the allies are trying to climb it, in the sun and 110F heat

I signed up for the German Kommandos, and that was precisely my thoughts. I'm not in as good of shape as I used to be. I'll just hide in the bushes on a shaded hill and snipe people 馃ぃ. My camel back won't work with my current vest/gear. I do have room though to stick a large water bottle which I definitely plan on doing. I plan on running my 3k HPA tank, 4 refill pods, water bottle, a few cliff bars, and a back up 12oz tank.

I have a tac hopper that will hold maybe 80 rounds if I add the elbow. Each pod holds 140 rounds, and my tank should be good for at least 1,000 rounds. Hopefully I'll last a while. I don't want to be too overburdened with gear.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you are expecting 1000 shots off of any 3k tank on a tippman, it better be an absolute monster tank

Decent plan, what mask do you have?

A Base GS-O (camo)

How many rounds will I get out of a 48ci tank with the A5 per your best guess ?

I found a hydration pack that will fit my current gear so that will be good. I can still pack a 12oz spare tank.

Administrator
A Base GS-O (camo)

How many rounds will I get out of a 48ci tank with the A5 per your best guess ?

I found a hydration pack that will fit my current gear so that will be good. I can still pack a 12oz spare tank.
Well it looks like you have a thermal lens in that mask, that will really help. Hopefully it's comfortable to wear for a few hours at a time.

A 48/3k is going to ballpark around 480 shots per fill and really on an a5 I would expect no more than 450 on the top end, they are gas hogs. I would plan on getting 400 shots per fill and be happy if you get past that

So really you are looking at a full hopper and 2pods being a little more than you can shoot

The co2 tank isn't going to help at all, unless stuff has changed d day is HPA only so you won't be able to fill it. That aside it's also a safety concern, the co2 tank is going to have a different output pressure than the HPA tank (, most likely higher) and because the a5 doesn't have a regulator that means your velocity will change when you change tanks

If I were in your shoes I would be trying to get my hands on a larger gpa tank in a hurry. 4500psi preferred

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well it looks like you have a thermal lens in that mask, that will really help. Hopefully it's comfortable to wear for a few hours at a time.

A 48/3k is going to ballpark around 480 shots per fill and really on an a5 I would expect no more than 450 on the top end, they are gas hogs. I would plan on getting 400 shots per fill and be happy if you get past that

So really you are looking at a full hopper and 2pods being a little more than you can shoot

The co2 tank isn't going to help at all, unless stuff has changed d day is HPA only so you won't be able to fill it. That aside it's also a safety concern, the co2 tank is going to have a different output pressure than the HPA tank (, most likely higher) and because the a5 doesn't have a regulator that means your velocity will change when you change tanks

If I were in your shoes I would be trying to get my hands on a larger gpa tank in a hurry. 4500psi preferred

I'll just grab another 48ci tank like the one I have. It's the Tippman HPA tank they are like 50$ . Two of those tanks, a full hopper, and 4 pods of paint. Think that will be sufficient?

Also, how long are the battles and how does one go about getting refills throughout the day ?

Thanks for the help !

Administrator
I'll just grab another 48ci tank like the one I have. It's the Tippman HPA tank they are like 50$ . Two of those tanks, a full hopper, and 4 pods of paint. Think that will be sufficient?

Also, how long are the battles and how does one go about getting refills throughout the day ?

Thanks for the help !
Bad! Bad player! Go to the corner and think about what you've done

Carrying two tanks is never the solution in my opinion You're basically caring double the weight to carry the same amount of air you can carry on one decent tank. Look at it this way a 68/45 will cost you about $80-$100 on the used market and carry almost triple the air while being a similar weight to your 48

Granted this is from back in 2015 but I don't know that much has changed here's how it worked when I was there

The games on Monday through Friday you had to bring everything with you out onto the field there were no refills out on the field and some of those games lasted 3 to 4 hours. You could come back to the camping area if you needed to refill paint or air though and then head back out, but depending on the day, this trek was often measured in miles and also will depend on where your camp site is. They do have shuttle trucks but unless you are lucky you are going to be waiting for a while and in line. In the evenings they had a speedball course set up that was actually really fun to play at since it would play at night when it was cooler these were just pick up games but were really fun

There is no scoring Monday through Thursday, games are just for fun

On Saturday there was at least one dead zone down on the field fairly central to the field that had paint and air in it as well as water so you could go there and refill everything. I brought lunch in my Camelback so I literally spent the entire 8 hours on the field Saturday

The way they do paint is they give you tickets each ticket is a bag of 500 paintballs so you can decide how much you need while you're at the dead zone or when you're in camping I would not recommend getting all of your paint at your campground because it's so hot that the paint can start swelling during the week. get it as you need it

Bring good sunscreen you'll definitely need it. They're also a lot of ticks there bring bug spray that has a high concentration of DET Yes I know it's not the healthiest but it's the only thing that prevents the ticks from biting

I recommend playing in pants for the ticks but a t-shirt on top to keep you cool it is very hot and a lot of people underestimate that along with carrying gear and walking around for hours on end it takes a lot out of you

What is your hydration situation because if it's just a water bottle in all honesty you're going to go through that in about an hour I don't know that it's going to be enough. For some of the weekday games it may be okay (you will probably still need to drink a lot more when you get back to camp) but at least Saturday if I remember right I went through close to 4 liters of water

Also also, I'm a trucker and have nothing to really do except drive during the days and I have a nice headset, if you want I can shoot you my phone number in a message and we can chat and I can answer your questions as they come up

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found a 1.5 L hydration pack I can stick in my current rig, I also have an electrolyte additive that will make the water 2-3x as effective. I bought the 3 day pass for Thursday- Saturday.
Would leaving the paint in my heavily tinted car still be too hot ? The cost of the nicer hpa tanks are like 3 times the one I have. I'm already maxed out on budget these will have to do. I'll definitely leave my gun semi auto to conserve gas and ammo.
I've got bugspray as I live like an hour away from the d day site lol. Lots of bugs here thats for sure. I've got german flecktarn but just the pants and shirt. Nothing to heavy. I'll be wearing my ghille over that and my gear. My pack will hold 1.5 L of water, a few cliff bars, 2 tanks, 4 pods, and a walkie talkie.

Administrator
Used market on the tank, you can get a tank will hold 3x as much air for $100 and likely less that will still have at least a few years of hydro left

Bring the Gillie if you want but I really suggest having a plan B as well. You really don't do a lot of hiding at that game and it's just going to heat you up

Also, at least in 2015 the rule was any bounce on a Gillie counts as a hit. The paint was bouncing like crazy, I had a bounce off of my bare arm from 20 feet but if you wear a Gillie all those bounces are trips to the dead box

I've had bad luck mixing anything into a Camelback besides water, it tends to cause problems over time, but really as long as you are drinking anything hydrating on the field that's a good idea

Seems like you got a decent plan going at this point My biggest suggestion is that tank though instead of 2 48's you would look at lightning your load and carrying more air with a 68/45. Save some money and get a used one. You would ballpark around 1000- 1100 shots off of a 68/45

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Used market on the tank, you can get a tank will hold 3x as much air for $100 and likely less that will still have at least a few years of hydro left

Bring the Gillie if you want but I really suggest having a plan B as well. You really don't do a lot of hiding at that game and it's just going to heat you up

Also, at least in 2015 the rule was any bounce on a Gillie counts as a hit. The paint was bouncing like crazy, I had a bounce off of my bare arm from 20 feet but if you wear a Gillie all those bounces are trips to the dead box

I've had bad luck mixing anything into a Camelback besides water, it tends to cause problems over time, but really as long as you are drinking anything hydrating on the field that's a good idea

Seems like you got a decent plan going at this point My biggest suggestion is that tank though instead of 2 48's you would look at lightning your load and carrying more air with a 68/45. Save some money and get a used one. You would ballpark around 1000- 1100 shots off of a 68/45

I may just wear the flecktarn and call it a day, ill bring the ghille just in case. I have to bite the bullet on an extra tank for now since I'm maxed out on budget and will need the money for paint at this point. All my parts and gear is coming in the mail this week, im stoked. I'll probably try to hit a local paintball field this weekend to get the guns dialed in and do some testing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts