Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"

Evil. Evil. Evil.

I built a computer for my dad last Christmas. I didn't get around to installing XP on it until February or March, and when I did I had problems. I'd go through the process of installing XP, and it'd work fine. But if I restarted it, I would get the above error message. I formatted the harddrive several times, reinstalled XP several times...Still the same error.

I figured it was the motherboard. So being the procrastinator that I am, I just got around to buying a new motherboard and harddrive (I put the harddrive that was in there in my computer).

Well now I'm getting the same message. Different mobo, different harddrive...What the hell is wrong with it? It boots up fine if I put the WinXP disk in the CD drive and boot from that. But it won't boot from the harddrive it seems. And don't tell me it's the harddrive, because I've tried several other ones.

I'm thinking the BIOS maybe? Or perhaps I have a jumper screwed up? It's really pissing me off...

-Jinjiro

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
it's looking at the wrong place when it boots up i bet.

look for something about boot up, it's probably pointed at a cd drive. Point it to IDE 3 or something along those lines. I remember that happened to us once.......years ago. So my memory may be a tad off.

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I have it set to boot from the harddrive. I wish it was as simple as having to mess around in BIOS. I think it has something to do with the partitions on the harddrive, or the boot sectors...or something. =(

-Jin

·
Registered
989 Posts
The only thing that makes sense is what No.1Tuba said. That's exactly what I was thinking before I got to his post. The HDD should have nothing to do with it, nor the motherboard. You pretty much proved that when you changed them and got the same error. The partitions shouldn't matter... try a different copy of XP is about the only thing I can think of.
I'm no expert, I just mess with comps on the side, so if there are any expert opinions here, we need to hear them.

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought the same thing (about the different copy of XP). I had installed a copy that was also used on some other comptuers, so I thought maybe Microsoft had done it to prevent multiple installations or something stupid like that. So I opened a BRAND NEW copy of XP (Student Edition) but it did the same thing.

Bah, this doesn't make sense. I haven't had this problem on any other computer I've built...Yet it's obviously not the motherboard or harddrive. Wouldn't be the CPU, wouldn't be the RAM...

It's the same brand/model of mobo, I wonder if it's a problem with the stock BIOS? I swear I think I've tried every jumper/cable configuration possible.

-Jin

·
Registered
989 Posts
I've been crawling through Google. At one site they suggest taking out the CMOS battery and letting it reset. Take it out for about 10 minutes and it should set everything to default.
And are you absolutely sure you have the jumpers right? Is there a diagram on the drive? If not, Google the model # and see if you can find a diagram. Being positive is the best way to fix something.

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok I got it. And I feel like a flippin' moron.

You know how I swore up and down that I had it set to boot from the HD in BIOS?

Well I did...But what I didn't realize was that it starts at HDD-0. I had it set to boot from HDD-1. I don't know if I set it to HDD-1, or if it comes that way from ASUS, but anyways...Problem fixed.

-Jinjiro

·
Certified Caffeine Addict
3,072 Posts
Dogpatch said:
I've been crawling through Google. At one site they suggest taking out the CMOS battery and letting it reset. Take it out for about 10 minutes and it should set everything to default.
Just popping the battery out then right back in should restore the CMOS settings to default. You don't have to wait 10 minutes to let the electrical charge dissipate.

·
Registered
989 Posts
PizzaMiLiTiA said:
Just popping the battery out then right back in should restore the CMOS settings to default. You don't have to wait 10 minutes to let the electrical charge dissipate.
That sounded suspect to me also. What I posted was pretty much a direct quote from some other site.

jin... where's the "slap" emoticon? LOL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts