Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My barrel(stock) feels really tight when i put it on, like tooooooo tight, and makes almost liek a grinding sound. i looked in there and theres liek no dirt or anyhtign and i oiled the thread a bit and that didnt help any either.

so whats causing this?

thanx

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i dont think its that

i just cleaned out the treads and everything wicked good, but its still the same

·
i play for keeps
7,001 Posts
if its not chopping or anything, i dont think its anything to worry about. i dont remember when i had my stock barrel it chopping or anything, but hte stock barrel has horrible accuracy anyways.

id suggest a new barrel simply because the stock one is horrible. but it sounds like nothing to worry about if all it does is that

·
Registered
188 Posts
mine doesnt make any noise, but then again I dont take my barrel off that much...although the stock barrel is horrible, its makes it a little better if you polish the inside...that's what I'm doing until I can find a 14" j&j to swap w/ the 12" I have on my primary, and then swap that out...if that makes sense...but the barrel still sucks, just not as much as if it was polished

·
Registered
125 Posts
yea i had the same probelem when i first got my new barrel. the from top screw could be too tight and you could try putting a little oil on the big oring at the end of the barrel. that worked for me and it fits just great. good luck

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
nope none of those work

ill try firing it tomorrow to make sure it doesnt chop

thanx for the help guys

·
Registered
125 Posts
if what i said didnt work, the only other thing i could think of is that the screw holding the front grip in could be too tight. sorry thats all i can think of that could be stoping it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah you should be fine. If it really bothers you you could wipe the threads with a cloth or something but as long as it doesnt chop your good.

·
Registered
188 Posts
my stock barrel goes on rather loosly and seems rather loose after a while, thats what lead me to go to the j&j barrel besides the fact that i found out how bad the stock barrel sucked when I had something to compare it to.

trust me...this, as well as many other things in life, are better when they are tight ;)

burningcow422 said:
how would you polish the inside? jw

I took a strip of 800 grit sand paper, about half the circumference of a broken barrel swab squeegie, wrapped it halfway around the swap lengthways, then ran it through the barrel repeatedly, blew it out and held it up to a light until it was nice and shiny and smooth looking on the inside.

·
Screaming Koala
4,685 Posts
What's worse- The *grinding* sound or the *snap/pop* that fixed it? =)
...Just kidding.

The 98 was never known for have tight tolerances. It's probably a combination of that and the threads not being really smooth. I think they already had you check to see that the O-ring was on the barrel, without that you could screw it in a little further than needed and it might bind up a little.

That's a good idea on how to polish the stock barrel. Another could be (and I haven't tried this, mind you) would be to put the barrel into a vice or clamp, and chuck a cheap swab into a drill and slime it with polishing compound. Spin it slowly and work it back and forth through the barrel. Use a cheap or broken swab though...you'll probably ruin it beyond belief.

I'd give it a try to see if it worked, but I don't use the stock barrel and I also don't hate my swab that much. It still wouldn't get rid of the reverse taper bore though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts